Kaepernick Strikes Again

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since Kap has such great influence at Nike why doesn't Nike run this stuff past Kap first?

It strikes me as a little disingenuous on the part of Nike but it won't stop me from buying another Nike product.

However, I like Adidas better, at least they care about College Hoops. :)

Oh, and by the way, I saw one report claiming those shoes are now selling for $2500 on the aftermarket.

Yep. Probably Nike’s intention all along.

I’m all for Kapernick trying to raise awareness of forms of institutional racism. I’m not sure I agree with his stance on this issue, but then again it’s not my place to decide what he should and shouldn’t be offended by. I give him credit for staying true to himself. Nor is my place to chime in on how Nike decides to run their business. I’ll continue to buy Nike products. Nike is no longer at the top of my must have list, but it has nothing to do with Kapernick or any of the folks signed to their endorsement deals. I just happen to like other brands style more.

No drama with Sketchers...only comfort. Just sayin...

There's no drama with Nike either. Only for people who don't like a black dude staying true to his beliefs and the company that sponsors him staying behind him.

Nike was set to sell a shoe for the 4th that included the "Betsy Ross" flag with thirteen stars. Kaepernick objected because that flag was around during slavery. Nike then pulled the shoe.

Twiitter has erupted.

Thoughts? Is the shoe offensive? Should Nike pull it? Should people rebel against Nike?

For the record another reason Kaepernick objected and spoke up to Nike is because the Betsy Ross flag has been adopted by multiple white nationalist groups as their American flag. It isn’t just because of the 13 stars. It has to do with who that flag is representing in 2019.

Just trying to follow along, the shoes are offensive because slavery existed when that flag was created?

The flag doesn't represent slavery, but because it was created when slavery existed, that is what is making it considered offensive by Kap?

This flag has apparently come into use by white nationalist groups, who use it as a symbol of the United States at a time when white supremacy was enshrined in the Constitution. There was a controversy some years ago about high schoolers somewhere in Michigan flying the flag during a game against a predominantly black school. I don't remember all of the context.

I think Kaepernick is an attention prostitute myself, but it takes A LOT for me to stop buying something if I think it's good. In fact, I just spent $175 on some sharp-looking Nike's (for my wife) this morning. I can't really remember the last time I boycotted something.

But again, if people want to do that, have at it. If they want to buy Nike more because of this, have at it.

Did he call a press conference and announce what he told Nike or did someone else do it?

Seems like if he was an attention prostitute he would have told the world himself and not the media without his side of the story.

This flag has apparently come into use by white nationalist groups, who use it as a symbol of the United States at a time when white supremacy was enshrined in the Constitution. There was a controversy some years ago about high schoolers somewhere in Michigan flying the flag during a game against a predominantly black school. I don't remember all of the context.

Thanks @Getslow. That context makes it make a little more sense.