BGP QOTD: Yes or No - Can you drive a stick shift?

Randy Parker

Yes.

First two cars were a Corolla and a Celica GTS - both 5 speeds. And no need to have cup holders when your driving a manual.

Came in handy on a business trip to Europe many years ago. Only thing available to rent (at least from Hertz in Brussels) was a stick. No automatics for rent.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the pedals and gears reversed over there? I’ve always wondered that?

We were on the continent so everything there is 'American' style. In fact what we had was Ford hatch-back. Its only the UK (and its territories or former territories) that are reversed. The Bahamas are UK-style and its a bit tricky because they get their cars from the US. So the cars are 'normal' but lanes are reversed.

. The Bahamas are UK-style and its a bit tricky because they get their cars from the US. So the cars are 'normal' but lanes are reversed.

My husband did fine driving in Marsh Harbour on the way to Treasure Cay until he came to their only roundabout and turned the wrong way.

I have driven everything from a 48 pickup to tractors and motorcycles and my very own first car , a 51 Ford coupe. The last stick was a 98 Mercedes.

Some of us drove Chevy six-bangers with three-on-the-tree. You could time your RPMs to shift into 2nd and then 3rd without using the clutch. Probably you younger guys have no clue. "The older we get, the better we used to be."

Dad’s old ‘65 Olds F-85 with three on the tree rusted apart before I ever got a chance to drive it, sadly. But I learned on my uncle’s Celica and later my own Datsun 210 wagon, including how to shift gears without the clutch. And dad’s old 74 Dodge truck with a granny gear.

Got to drive an old 3/tree maintenance truck when working summer job at Big Bone park. My 98 VW Golf has been broke down for 6 years so that was my last regular driving on a manual. But I can still do it and miss it.