BGP QOTD: Yes or No - Can you drive a stick shift?

Randy Parker

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baptism by fire for me. My best friend worked at a hospital in downtown Baltimore and he had a hernia procedure and couldn’t drive for a while. I took him to work a couple of times and drove him there in his old Maverick. I was probably 21 at the time and all of our family cars were automatics.

Great place to learn on the fly.

Negative.

I would assume I could pick it up pretty easily if I tried, because I can ride a dirt bike and manual ATV, and I can drive a tractor, but I've never had a manual car to drive before.

This is where I'm coming from, except for the tractor part.

Yep, and I miss it. I learned on a Chevy Monza in my driveway. I always had a vehicle with a manual tranny up until about 7 years ago. I tried teaching the wife, but she just couldn't pick it up. I came to the realization that her not being able to drive 1 of the 2 cars we had didn't make sense.

I hate how they're making cars now that look like they're a manual, but they're not.

Dad tried to teach me in a 50 Chevy pickup with 3 on the tree and a cluch that had to be depressed about a foot, I was 15...it didn't go well.

About a year later, when it was legal, I picked it really quickly in a little 5 speed S-10.

On our first date I taught my wife to drive a 5 speed in about 15 minutes. Took me about as long to teach my son when he turned 16. His grandpa gave him a little pickup with a 5 speed, he was very motivated to pick it up.

Sadly we have no "Sticks" now, so my daughter will have to wait.

I'm guessing I still can. I exclusively drove a stick for almost 10 years. Problem is I haven't driven one in 23 years. And I don't miss driving one at all, so I'll likely never find out if I can still drive a stick.

Yep, and I miss it. I learned on a Chevy Monza in my driveway. I always had a vehicle with a manual tranny up until about 7 years ago. I tried teaching the wife, but she just couldn't pick it up. I came to the realization that her not being able to drive 1 of the 2 cars we had didn't make sense.

I hate how they're making cars now that look like they're a manual, but they're not.

My wife's vehicle has two options...one is fully automatic, the other allows you to shift the gears manually, but there's no clutch pedal to use.

In my generation you were laughed at if you couldn't drive a stick. In fact, I don't think any of our senior class members weren't proud of burning those tires in low then smiling if we could get a little screach in 2nd. No question, automatics were for girls. Until my best bud (farmboy) got a new '64 Chevrolet Malibu...midnight blue...with 283 engine....and a sweet little automatic 3 speed on the floor. His tobacco farming money bought this beauty and we all shut-up about it being a sissy car.

Yeah, our minivan even has that. lol....

Never knew anything about them, until we test drove one with it in it. She pulled out onto the street and ran the RPMs up and freaked out. She kept yelling at me, what am I doing wrong? I yelled back, I don't know! :lol2: