Disney Streaming & NBC Streaming...Everybody's Streaming

Colonels_Wear_Blue

Disney announced that their streaming service, Disney Plus, will come online in November 2019, and will include Disney's television and movie catalogue, Pixar, Lucasfilm, and Marvel. They also currently own ABC amd Fox. Fox programming represents 60% of content on Hulu. Disney is planning to offer all of their catalogue at a monthly subscription price of $6.99.

NBC is planning a streaming service to launch in 2020. NBC's initial remarks imply that some of their shows may remain on Netflix. "The Office" is contracted with Netflix through 2021...and as the most-streamed show on Netflixm, "The Office" reportedly accounted for a whopping 3% of Netflix's total streamed content in 2018. NBC's "Friends" is the second-most streamed show on Netflix. NBC also shares large portions of its catalogue, including "Saturday Night Live" with Hulu and Amazon Prime. There's no reported estimate for the monthly subscription cost for NBC's forthcoming streaming service currently.

WarnerMedia, the parent company of HBO, CNN, The CW, and Turner, is also planning a forthcoming streaming service, and is aiming to release it in late 2019 or early 2020. No word on whether or not that will end HBO Now/HBO Go streaming, but I would assume they will include an add-on package for HBO.

CBS currently offers its own streaming service, CBS All Access, at $5.99 a month.

Netflix's current monthly cost for its standard streaming service is $13 a month.

Amazon Prime's current monthly cost is $12.99 a month.

Hulu's base monthly price, before including the cost of any add-on channel packages, is $5.99 a month.

NBC is really tied in with Hulu already. Will they bail on streaming their new shows on Hulu? I don't watch a ton of them, but I do watch a couple of NBC shows as they air. If Hulu loses them, I don't know that I'll bolt for NBC streaming so much as stop watching them.

Who all on here still has cable? What do you pay a month?

Which streaming services do you pay for?

Will the new platforms from Disney, NBC, and WarnerMedia change things for you?

When we moved in June 2018, we decided to cut cable. We use DirecTVNOW as our streaming service. I think we pay $45 a month. We do not pay to use Amazon Prime, Hulu, or Netflix.

I kept cable because the non-cable internet bill with Spectrum was preposterous. It was actually less expensive for them to give me the basic channels. Criminals.

I call about once every year to complain that they're cheating me and that usually helps, but it's exhausting.

This is the most old-man post I've made on BGP yet.

I would "cut the chord" if it were not for live sports, specifically regional coverage for the Timberwolves. But hell, the more these services take over, cable is becoming just as cheap.

DirecTV now is a great option for live sports. You're delayed about 20 seconds, so I don't look at group chats with my buddies until a commercial so they don't ruin big UK basketball plays in tight games for me.

I still have Spectrum because of the ease of use but it is ultra expensive. I also have Netflix, Amazon Prime Video (comes with Prime), and Hulu (comes with Spotify). Additionally I have some Apps set up through my Apple 4K TV that you get "for free" when you pay for their service through another company.

I was thinking about this topic just the other day CWB, you could easily spend $300 a month trying to get everything that is offered and unfortunately it feels like we are moving to an era of "deregulation" for TV because everything is broken up.

In short, I believe with our current technology we should be able to have one small box that is capable of receiving every service and we should be able to pick and choose what we want. This should also include unlimited DVR and access to all past content (for the right price).

My issue with all of this is the lack of convenience of having so many different services.

First world problems for sure but there is no reason for it.

We still have cable, which allows us to get HBO Go. We have Prime Video thanks to Amazon Prime, and that's where we stop. Disney+ is probably going to get my money, but that will still probably be the extent of it.

In several years, when these services have diversified even further due to everyone wanting a piece of the pie, cord cutting will be little different than simply having cable IMO. They're already making it more difficult for you to not have to buy everything. I haven't looked at it in a bit, but I believe I'd save like $10/mo by trying to replace my cable with cord cutting services, and I ultimately decided I'd rather have the convenience of our hardware DVRs and true "live" TV for that amount. In a few years, I wouldn't be surprised if it's equal to try to bridge the gap.

I haven't looked at it in a bit, but I believe I'd save like $10/mo by trying to replace my cable with cord cutting services, and I ultimately decided I'd rather have the convenience of our hardware DVRs and true "live" TV for that amount. In a few years, I wouldn't be surprised if it's equal to try to bridge the gap.

Exactly where we are. When we've sat down and compared costs, we'd only be saving $5-10 a month and losing DVR. It's not worth it.