Some thoughts about Highlands' season...

jbwill2

1. The strategy of Highlands' scheduling clearly failed. They scheduled a bunch of tough teams and lost all of them, in the hopes of getting better prepared for the district/playoffs. The result: a bunch of HHS losses in the regular season, a loss AT HOME to district rival CCH, and getting beaten badly by CCH in the playoffs, a loss that was probably HHS' worst to a district foe (points-wise) in 10+ years. Clearly, the strategy of sheduling all those tough teams did no good for HHS.
On the other hand, the same philosophy seems to have worked out very well for Covington Catholic.

2. Heading into the season, expectations were VERY high for HHS. It seems that their most impressive win was against Southwestern. Every close game they played in, they lost, and they lost two games that weren't even that close (Saint X and CCH in the playoffs). What happened?
They lost to same darn good teams.

4. I hope that HHS did not overshoot when they petitioned to play up 2 classes, instead of staying put or playing up 1. Also, for two straight years HHS has been beaten in the playoffs handily by catholic private schools... perhaps this portends things to come, since the KHSAA did not separate the privates from the publics.
Lexington Catholic won the state title last year. Covington Catholic could very well do it this year. It isn't like Highlands was losing to run-of-the-mill teams.

You seem to be making some inference about the fact that Highlands was eliminated by private schools in each of the last two seasons. Believe me ... some other schools have had similar feelings after being eliminated by Highlands in the past.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. This is the most painful to write, and probably one that many won't like much. Since Gino Guidulgi's class left (after the 2000 season), HHS has really only fielded one very solid team, and this team won HHS' only title from 2001 through 2006 (and counting). That year (2004) had some real studs on it who did not start their football careers at HHS (Nevels, Mitchell, and Stowers). I know that Mitchell did not play in the title game, but does anyone here actually believe that if those 3 guys were not on the team, HHS would have won in 2004? When will HHS win another title without the help of transfers, which the KHSAA is clearly taking a very critical look at now?

Not that it really matters, but Nick Sheffield (sp) was also a transfer.

As it is, HHS continues to be one of the most dominant teams as far as overall history in KY, and one seemingly underachieving season doesn't change anything. They'll reload.

IMO HHS could be CCH the last 2 seasons. In both seasons, CCH went out before the semis but could have easily been the #2 team in the state.

Last year, LexCath beat both. Highlands beat CovCath the one time they played, so that may be a stretch.

In 2004, Highlands beat CovCath 18-0 in the playoffs, but had to use Mitchell on offense to beat Bell (I think it was Bell). Mitchell almost never took a snap on offense, but without him in the backfield they'd have never made the finals.

Highlands might be the second best team in AAA this year, but CCH wasn't the second best in 04 or 05.

In 2004, Highlands beat CovCath 18-0 in the playoffs, but had to use Mitchell on offense to beat Bell (I think it was Bell). Mitchell almost never took a snap on offense, but without him in the backfield they'd have never made the finals.

You sound like a Bell fan. Highlands fans will tell you they had many kids with the ability to step up and do what Mitchell did that game. We'll just never know who would have stepped up for them as Mitchell was the one who happened to be playing that game.

How many high schools have a coach just for QB's?

IMO.As an outsider, that during the games when you are hammering lesser

opponents.and you have comfortable leads, work on your passing game.

Get the timing down and get everyone more reps in game situations. It

seems like it would only help the team to be better prepared for games and

situations when it becomes necessary to "open it up". Also, might help the

coach's confidence in the players to execute the passing plays called.

A program the caliber of Highlands should.

How many high schools have a coach just for QB's?

IMO.As an outsider, that during the games when you are hammering lesser

opponents.and you have comfortable leads, work on your passing game.

Get the timing down and get everyone more reps in game situations. It

seems like it would only help the team to be better prepared for games and

situations when it becomes necessary to "open it up". Also, might help the

coach's confidence in the players to execute the passing plays called.

All I know is I had a QB coach in high school and I played for a Class A school. We spent 30 minutes in practice every day going over reads, drops, arm strengthening, footwork, etc. Highlands needs to cut the fat and drop a few of the shirttail riders on their staff and get a good QB coach. Having 18 coaches is ridiculous. JMO

Guidugli has the tools..... they need to develop him. He can pass and has poise, natural things you cant teach.

Highlands might be the second best team in AAA this year, but CCH wasn't the second best in 04 or 05.

Our opinions differ.

MM was the difference in both the CCH game and the Bell game. He scored on 2 long runs if I remember correctly against CCH and that was the game.

Ask LC who was the toughest team last season and I'll bet they say CCH.

Again, our opinions simply differ.

All I know is I had a QB coach in high school and I played for a Class A school. We spent 30 minutes in practice every day going over reads, drops, arm strengthening, footwork, etc. Highlands needs to cut the fat and drop a few of the shirttail riders on their staff and get a good QB coach. Having 18 coaches is ridiculous. JMO

Guidugli has the tools..... they need to develop him. He can pass and has poise, natural things you cant teach.

What makes you think that Guidulgi has the tools and poise to be the quarterback next year? What meaningful minutes did he get this year in varsity action? The answer to that was very little. Most of the time when the second unit went into the game, Jay Draper was playing quarterback. The question I have is why he was playing when you could be providing valuable time to a sophomore and considering that Mr. Draper had been moved to wide receiver.

You sound like a Bell fan. Highlands fans will tell you they had many kids with the ability to step up and do what Mitchell did that game. We'll just never know who would have stepped up for them as Mitchell was the one who happened to be playing that game.
Very wise point! :thumb:

Is that the only position this coach coached? Or was it he coached QB's and also other positions on the team? Most teams have a coach who coach's QB's but they also coach another position. Now if the resources are there to hire a quality coach to only work with QB's go for it. It would only improve the play from that position, if he is a good coach.

Is that the only position this coach coached? Or was it he coached QB's and also other positions on the team? Most teams have a coach who coach's QB's but they also coach another position. Now if the resources are there to hire a quality coach to only work with QB's go for it. It would only improve the play from that position, if he is a good coach.

When i played at Highlands we did have a specific coach that coached QB's and backs only. We were always told that it was the little things that counted. Like ball fakes and the basic techniques that i can almost bet they don't teach now, because it shows!!!!!!! I can name a person that could improve the QB position 100% but i won't because i know my P.M's box would explode with anger. The talent is there people, it just isn't being used properly. I thought Highlands had a decent year and hope next year isn't wasted talking about how good and atheletic they are. I also thought Clay Cecil did an unbelievable job considering nobody really showed him what to do. If he was being coached they sure didn't do a very good job of it. I can bet Tony Guiduli(SP) will have plenty of instruction this coming off season. (Private Instruction that Is) We will see how hard Tony pushes Clay next season for the QB spot. You will be surprised!!! Highlands will be fine, i would concerned if the past 3 freshman classes had a season record of 500 but we all know they didn't. Dale will find a way to get these young men motivated and prepared, because there is nobody that does it better. Go Birds in 2007

I am not sure how they approach that position so its hard to speak about it. My point was... how about not worrying so much about a tight end coach or a Noseguard coach.... and focus on the skill positions like QB and WR because these are the positions that HHS needs to make sure they have improved on. This is not a knock on Cecil because he did the best he could do with limited experience at the position. I just cant see them keeping him at QB while Gudugli carrys a clipboard when you can move him to Tailback and let him run.

When i played at Highlands we did have a specific coach that coached QB's and backs only. We were always told that it was the little things that counted. Like ball fakes and the basic techniques that i can almost bet they don't teach now, because it shows!!!!!!! I can name a person that could improve the QB position 100% but i won't because i know my P.M's box would explode with anger. The talent is there people, it just isn't being used properly. I thought Highlands had a decent year and hope next year isn't wasted talking about how good and atheletic they are. I also thought Clay Cecil did an unbelievable job considering nobody really showed him what to do. If he was being coached they sure didn't do a very good job of it. I can bet Tony Guiduli(SP) will have plenty of instruction this coming off season. (Private Instruction that Is) We will see how hard Tony pushes Clay next season for the QB spot. You will be surprised!!! Highlands will be fine, i would concerned if the past 3 freshman classes had a season record of 500 but we all know they didn't. Dale will find a way to get these young men motivated and prepared, because there is nobody that does it better. Go Birds in 2007

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Great Post!! Yes we will be fine, the talent is there just use it better. I hope that they look not at the players but at the staff and make some improvements there.

GO BIRDS THANKS FOR A GREAT SEASON!!

:dancingpa :dancingpa