Some thoughts about Highlands' season...

jbwill2

jb,

This is very simple, Highlands can't throw the ball, end of story.

Why not? With all the practice going on over there in Fort Thomas, and all the first-rank opponents they are playing, how come they can't pass the ball better??? I don't understand.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that it's over, here are some of my thoughts about 2006 for the 'Birds:

1. The strategy of Highlands' scheduling clearly failed. They scheduled a bunch of tough teams and lost all of them, in the hopes of getting better prepared for the district/playoffs. The result: a bunch of HHS losses in the regular season, a loss AT HOME to district rival CCH, and getting beaten badly by CCH in the playoffs, a loss that was probably HHS' worst to a district foe (points-wise) in 10+ years. Clearly, the strategy of sheduling all those tough teams did no good for HHS.

2. Heading into the season, expectations were VERY high for HHS. It seems that their most impressive win was against Southwestern. Every close game they played in, they lost, and they lost two games that weren't even that close (Saint X and CCH in the playoffs). What happened?

3. This is the most painful to write, and probably one that many won't like much. Since Gino Guidulgi's class left (after the 2000 season), HHS has really only fielded one very solid team, and this team won HHS' only title from 2001 through 2006 (and counting). That year (2004) had some real studs on it who did not start their football careers at HHS (Nevels, Mitchell, and Stowers). I know that Mitchell did not play in the title game, but does anyone here actually believe that if those 3 guys were not on the team, HHS would have won in 2004? When will HHS win another title without the help of transfers, which the KHSAA is clearly taking a very critical look at now?

4. I hope that HHS did not overshoot when they petitioned to play up 2 classes, instead of staying put or playing up 1. Also, for two straight years HHS has been beaten in the playoffs handily by catholic private schools... perhaps this portends things to come, since the KHSAA did not separate the privates from the publics.

Sometimes that's like playing with fire, because you never know what's going on the heads of these high school boys.

Losing confidence in one's self is more detrimental to team goals than almost anything.

But congrats on a good year to the 'Birds.:thumb:

It looked to me the whole season that Mueller was trying to pad Kramer's stats. Taking nothing away from Kramer because he is a hell of a running back, but the other parts of the game needed to be utilized also. They did not have a passing game because IMO they really never gave it a chance. The QB had a decent arm and they had nice WR and TE's.

The play calling was very questinoable against the Colonels. SQuib kicks Who does that? You're not kicking to Dante Hall Desmond Howard I am still in disbelief Dale Mueller is a great coach but there are questions in many Bluebird fan's minds

Why not? With all the practice going on over there in Fort Thomas, and all the first-rank opponents they are playing, how come they can't pass the ball better??? I don't understand.

Maybe their problem was the practicing, Going day in and day out for 3-4+ hours will really take a tole on the team.

Also moved up two classes with them. Anyone else on that side?
Regardless of how Johnson Central ends this season, they will return a ton of talent for the next two seasons. I realize that mention of the Golden Eagles does not strike any fear in the hearts of the traditional NKY powers, but Johnson Central will be a contender for playoff titles over the next few seasons. Whether they fall short of a state title or not, I don't think that many people will be characterizing Johnson Central as "incredibly weak" by the end of the 2007 playoffs.

Now that it's over, here are some of my thoughts about 2006 for the 'Birds:

1. The strategy of Highlands' scheduling clearly failed. They scheduled a bunch of tough teams and lost all of them, in the hopes of getting better prepared for the district/playoffs. The result: a bunch of HHS losses in the regular season, a loss AT HOME to district rival CCH, and getting beaten badly by CCH in the playoffs, a loss that was probably HHS' worst to a district foe (points-wise) in 10+ years. Clearly, the strategy of sheduling all those tough teams did no good for HHS.

2. Heading into the season, expectations were VERY high for HHS. It seems that their most impressive win was against Southwestern. Every close game they played in, they lost, and they lost two games that weren't even that close (Saint X and CCH in the playoffs). What happened?

3. This is the most painful to write, and probably one that many won't like much. Since Gino Guidulgi's class left (after the 2000 season), HHS has really only fielded one very solid team, and this team won HHS' only title from 2001 through 2006 (and counting). That year (2004) had some real studs on it who did not start their football careers at HHS (Nevels, Mitchell, and Stowers). I know that Mitchell did not play in the title game, but does anyone here actually believe that if those 3 guys were not on the team, HHS would have won in 2004? When will HHS win another title without the help of transfers, which the KHSAA is clearly taking a very critical look at now?

4. I hope that HHS did not overshoot when they petitioned to play up 2 classes, instead of staying put or playing up 1. Also, for two straight years HHS has been beaten in the playoffs handily by catholic private schools... perhaps this portends things to come, since the KHSAA did not separate the privates from the publics.

As a neutral observer:

1. The schedule is fine as it was/is. With two district games that aren't the best and quite frankly dominating the non-district games against NKY 4A teams Highlands needs to schedule tough games.

2. When this Highlands team meets a team with as similar speed the offense struggles to move the ball. Your QB is a strong runner but can't carry the offense with his passing. He does have another year though and I expect the passing game to improve next year.

3. Highlands will be just fine in 5A in the next two years and beyond. Steady supply of talent and numbers on the way. And I don't see Mueller leaving in the next two years which is something I can't say for the CovCath staff.

4. Highlands gets beat by the private schools lately because they have two good private schools one in their district, and one in their region. Just like Rockcastle and Boyle were/are good public schools in 3A.

I hope and pray that there are some major changes on the offensive side of the ball.. I don't mean players wise either...The offensive game plan was the worst I have ever seen by a Highlands coached football team. The people that can do something about it, need to do something about it. I feel extremely sorry for these kids. They deserve better than what they have gotten this year..Good job Colonels....Win State!!!

Is someone from Highlands really complaining about private schools??? From what I recall from growing up and playing the 'Birds, players come from outside of Ft. Thomas to play for the 'Birds quite a bit.