November 3, 200619 yr If that other exhibition game was a "good game" this was outstanding. The freshmen looked fantastic. Looks like Stevenson could be a block machine, just as advertised. The defense looked sketchy at times, but 94 points will overcome a few defensive mistakes. Looks like we should have a few good options for different rotations. Using Meeks/Jasper, we can go with a fast team thats still big in the backcourt. Overall, very impressed. Good start to the season.
November 3, 200619 yr Tubby needs to play a lot of freshman this year. I don't care if guys are seniors or not, some of them have no talent. This freshman class has talent. Play the talent.
November 3, 200619 yr I absolutely love the maturity of the freshman. I know it is Lindsey Wilson, but some encouraging signs. How about Paul Peck of LW saying that this UK team was better than the UL team LW played during UL's Final Four season. Not sure about that. D-Jas is going to be a fan favorite...
November 3, 200619 yr Tubby needs to play a lot of freshman this year. I don't care if guys are seniors or not, some of them have no talent. This freshman class has talent. Play the talent. I dont think you really have to worry about that much. I mean they are not going to play over Perry, which they shouldn't. But as the year goes on Im sure we wont be seeing Orbzut much at all, and Thomas unless he improved alot before his senior year at best probably will be splitting time with Perry Stevenson. Then for the guards they will play too, but they also have talent in front of them in the guard position. This year team is going to be a good one and fun to watch!!!
November 3, 200619 yr I absolutely love the maturity of the freshman. I know it is Lindsey Wilson, but some encouraging signs. How about Paul Peck of LW saying that this UK team was better than the UL team LW played during UL's Final Four season. Not sure about that. D-Jas is going to be a fan favorite... So will Porter. I think every player in this class will all be solid four year players.
November 3, 200619 yr The only thing that I didnt like was how many uncontested open shots UK gave up. Gotta get a little better on the defensive end. NHS I can see what you mean but this was the first pre season game and with the way Tubby will stress defense I am not too worried at this early stage.
November 3, 200619 yr I dont think you really have to worry about that much. I mean they are not going to play over Perry, which they shouldn't. But as the year goes on Im sure we wont be seeing Orbzut much at all, and Thomas unless he improved alot before his senior year at best probably will be splitting time with Perry Stevenson. Then for the guards they will play too, but they also have talent in front of them in the guard position. This year team is going to be a good one and fun to watch!!! :thumb: :thumb: Nice post.
November 3, 200619 yr Pretty good showing by the Cats. Freshman looked very good and showed they have some talent. I liked their attitude. It was good to see Tubby smile It has been a long time since I have witnessed that.
November 3, 200619 yr Pretty good showing by the Cats. Freshman looked very good and showed they have some talent. I liked their attitude. It was good to see Tubby smile It has been a long time since I have witnessed that. If they continue to leave opponets wide open you will see the frown and the "Tubby Stomp" very soon.
November 3, 200619 yr So will Porter. I think every player in this class will all be solid four year players. Porter will be OK. Solid role player. Will struggle against quicker players. I like his toughness, but that has been what many said was his best attribute. It looks as if the freshman class has a high bball IQ. They really pass the ball well. Can't say enough about Jasper. I know some on here said he didn't perform that great in the Derby Festival, but that is not a type of game that he can display his overall game. Has a great handle and vision for a kid his size. Meeks looked confident. Already has a college body. Gets his shot up quick. I see some comparison to Bogans in him. Stevenson has a ways to go but can be disruptive in the paint. Only real disappointments was Obrbzut and Carter. Both look a little thicker, but Carter looks like he really hasn't gotten much better. He should have been redshirted last year.
November 3, 200619 yr Didn't get to see the whole game due to the football distraction, but I was really impressed with the Freshmen. They didn't look like Freshmen out on the court, but it was against an NAIA team. Overall the team and Tubby seemed to be having fun, which usually wasn't the case last year. I don't know if anyone watched the pre-game show, but they showed part of an interview with Jay Bilas, who made a really good point, in comparring UK to UF of last year. Saying that as far as playing like a team and chemisty that it would be addition by subtraction such as UF played in the absence of Roberson and Walsh.
November 3, 200619 yr Porter will be OK. Solid role player. Will struggle against quicker players. I like his toughness, but that has been what many said was his best attribute. It looks as if the freshman class has a high bball IQ. They really pass the ball well. Can't say enough about Jasper. I know some on here said he didn't perform that great in the Derby Festival, but that is not a type of game that he can display his overall game. Has a great handle and vision for a kid his size. Meeks looked confident. Already has a college body. Gets his shot up quick. I see some comparison to Bogans in him. Stevenson has a ways to go but can be disruptive in the paint. Only real disappointments was Obrbzut and Carter. Both look a little thicker, but Carter looks like he really hasn't gotten much better. He should have been redshirted last year. Porter looked pretty quick to me tonight. Also Porter was recruited by Pete Carroll of USC to play defensive of back for them, so he must be pretty quick to be recruited by a big school like that to play defensive back. He is actually a quick white boy for a change... I agree with everything you said about Meeks, he has great floor vision. But I would go a little further on Meeks than just saying he compares to Bogans. I know I might take alot of heat for this but he reminds me alot of Dwayne Wade in college, and hopefully he can end up being atleast half as good as Wade and we will have a great player, which I think he will be! :thumb:
November 3, 200619 yr Author NHS I can see what you mean but this was the first pre season game and with the way Tubby will stress defense I am not too worried at this early stage. Me either Rambler, Id much rather us struggle defensively than offensively. Tubby can fix defensive problems but not so much if the problem is offense.
November 3, 200619 yr I like the fact that Ramel Bradley had 10 points and 8 assists. Thats big if he can give you similar numbers to that. The team will struggle IMO early in the season because we are playing so many freshmen and even experienced players have different roles. But I cant wait to see this team come March! 3 plays stood out to me with the freshmen. Meeks and Jasper both took charges. And Porter wrestled the ball away from a Lyndsey Wilson big man and put the ball in on offense. They are going to be the type of smart players who are hard-nosed defenderst that will look great in Tubby's system.
November 3, 200619 yr This is such a refreshing look compared to last years team. No more me-first selfisness on this team. They are actually a good basketball TEAM. The freshman looked great, Bradely didn't take to many bad shoots, and Morris will be a beast down low if he can stay out of foul trouble. All in all the Cats did play a NAIA school which they should beat by atleast 25 points and they end up beating them by 40. We couldn't beat a high school team by 40 last year. j/k :lol: I was really impressed with the Cats last night, they all played hard and I really enjoyed watching them. Could be a really good season.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.