2019-2022 Approved Football Realignment

Well first, Oldham County didnt threaten anything.

second, they asked if someone would volunteer to travel and OC did.

third, If there is 32 teams in a class, someone has to travel. I noticed there is a 5 team district in 6A? Why didnt a 5A team volunteer to play up in 6A and make even districts?

Threaten is a bold word - I didn't use it. I was strictly putting out a guess. Them volunteering to travel makes sense. The clarification is much appreciated, although I'm pretty regular in the football forum and this is the first I've heard of that.

As for the lack of balanced districts in 6A, my guess is the fifth place team in District 1 will play as the fourth place team in that Louisville district. The KHSAA has used that method often in the past.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grant County....ooof!

On the surface yes, but not really all but Frederick Douglas they play in their Middle School Conference, so its not like it will be new opponents or anything.

Add to this, after two years the KHSAA does a reevaluation of enrollments and if your enrollment has increased by 10% or more and that increase would put you in the next highest class you'll be moved. Based on the expected growth at Frederick Douglass and both Scott County and Great Crossing, it is entirely possible two and maybe all three could be in 6A by the 2021 season.

Rockcastle and Bell Co have a cake walk district.

Cakewalk? They have to beat each other... And Garrard will be in that district. Garrard struggled and was only 4-8 last season, but they played a monster schedule. Rockcastle needed a dubious call on a last second catch to beat them last year. Bell will likely get rolling as Hilton works his program, but they didn't really beat any good teams, last season, either.

Not saying Garrard wins that district year one, but I don't see any reason to think that Bell & Rock are in a position to assume Garrard will be an easy win in most years.

It looks like with Caldwell County dropping back down to 2A Paducah Tilghman will have a much easier path to win their district. Also Caldwell County will have a tough time winning their new district with Mayfield in it.

4A just went from arguably the weakest overall class to arguably the strongest. Franklin Simpson, Johnson Central, and Wayne County are still there with Boyle County, Central, Corbin, and LexCath joining the party. It's gonna be crowded at the top.

Back to the realighnment...who else "Appears" to either have an easier path or more difficult one with this new realignment?

NewCath dropping to 1A has greatly helped their prospects. Beechwood in 2A has little resistance in the east.

Dropping? "Greatly helped their prospects?"

Prospects for what? That school has an amazing tradition - & there isn't a school in 1A anywhere on that list - that even resembles competition for those NCC athletes.

Dropping? "Greatly helped their prospects?"

Prospects for what? That school has an amazing tradition - & there isn't a school in 1A anywhere on that list - that even resembles competition for those NCC athletes.

NewCath dropping down might have increased their chances of adding to their trophy case, but the likes of Pikeville, Raceland, Paintsville, and Hazard will have plenty to say about who rules the roost in 1A. No one should be crowning NCC based on their tradition. Beechwood has owned the 'Breds lately just as much as they've owned 1A the past couple of seasons. If NewCath had been in 1A the past few years, they would have likely been on par with the teams I listed above. All of those teams appear to be set up for long term success, especially Pikeville. 1A should be highly competitive during the next alignment cycle.

There is no logical reason for Oldham County to be in the district they are in.

Putting them in that district is a special kind of stupid.

I'd love to hear the explanation as to why they aren't in D5.

Putting them in that district is a special kind of stupid.

I'd love to hear the explanation as to why they aren't in D5.

To me it is a very smart move on the part of OC. If going in with Trinity or traveling to the other district is the choice I say warm up the bus!! They are just moving into 6A and are in the process of rebuilding with a new head coach who comes from -- Trinity! He knows whats there. Forget ever winning district. Not saying they will win their new district but they have a better chance of competing for one.

To me it is a very smart move on the part of OC. If going in with Trinity or traveling to the other district is the choice I say warm up the bus!! They are just moving into 6A and are in the process of rebuilding with a new head coach who comes from -- Trinity! He knows whats there. Forget ever winning district. Not saying they will win their new district but they have a better chance of competing for one.

Districts are supposed to be geographic. That's what we've been told in every iteration of district alignment in recent memory. The fact that Trinity, Eastern and Ballard now have one less "assigned" game makes scheduling problematic for all of them. Very few team in KY will voluntarily play Trinity and even if they would this game will be in a "district week" so most other schools in KY will already have games. Trinity can afford the hit, Ballard and Eastern not so much.

Districts are supposed to be geographic. That's what we've been told in every iteration of district alignment in recent memory. The fact that Trinity, Eastern and Ballard now have one less "assigned" game makes scheduling problematic for all of them. Very few team in KY will voluntarily play Trinity and even if they would this game will be in a "district week" so most other schools in KY will already have games. Trinity can afford the hit, Ballard and Eastern not so much.

Geographically the move might not make perfect sense, but to argue that it makes scheduling problematic for one set of schools forgets the fact that the same problem would have arisen if Oldham had been placed with Ballard, Eastern, and Trinity. If Oldham County had been placed in District 5, Bryan Station, George Rogers Clark, and Madison Central would have each been looking for another game instead.