2019-2022 Approved Football Realignment

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need to put Brossart in same district as NewCath to create a rivalry. Would also save the Mustangs on travel time.

I like the idea of Brossart and NewCath in the same district, but the configuration of districts 4 and 5 just makes too much sense as it is, especially D4 having all four schools clustered together like that.

Isn't Danville in the East? Or are they considered West now?

Back to the west, although with cross-bracketing they'll play against an eastern district in 2020 playoffs.

https://khsaa.org/football/regionrotationandcrossbracketpairingsfinalthrough2022.pdf

The khsaa football alignment gods have smiled on Beechwood once again. The Tigers will go from having the easiest path to the championship game in 1A to having the easiest path in 2A, as well.

The khsaa football alignment gods have smiled on Beechwood once again. The Tigers will go from having the easiest path to the championship game in 1A to having the easiest path in 2A, as well.

Over the past three years, that is probably true. However, not last year. I thought Kentucky Country Day was the second best team in 1A. Russellville was very good in 2016 and 2015. The way the post season plays out Beechwood has had one game in the playoffs that was less challenging than the team from the East.

I like Beechwood going to 2A. New district opponents and new playoff opponents will be more interesting. The hardest thing for Beechwood going to 2A is the timing. In 2019 the Tigers will be in a reload year because of all the key losses of seniors from the 2018 team. I wish Beechwood was going to 2A this year with the team they have coming back.

Dropping? "Greatly helped their prospects?"

Prospects for what? That school has an amazing tradition - & there isn't a school in 1A anywhere on that list - that even resembles competition for those NCC athletes.

NewCath dropping down might have increased their chances of adding to their trophy case, but the likes of Pikeville, Raceland, Paintsville, and Hazard will have plenty to say about who rules the roost in 1A. No one should be crowning NCC based on their tradition. Beechwood has owned the 'Breds lately just as much as they've owned 1A the past couple of seasons. If NewCath had been in 1A the past few years, they would have likely been on par with the teams I listed above. All of those teams appear to be set up for long term success, especially Pikeville. 1A should be highly competitive during the next alignment cycle.

I agree with DevilMayCare. I don't believe New Cath would have won the title in either of the last two years in 1A. In 2015 New Cath had a very good team that would have challenged Pikeville. That would have been a good game to see. I call that one a coin flip. New Cath will not walk to titles in 1A. They will need to be better than they have shown the past couple of seasons.

Over the past three years, that is probably true. However, not last year. I thought Kentucky Country Day was the second best team in 1A. Russellville was very good in 2016 and 2015. The way the post season plays out Beechwood has had one game in the playoffs that was less challenging than the team from the East.

That's a good point regarding KCD. Reflecting back on 2017, they were probably #2 in 1A. But I do think the eastern half of 1A has had more quality teams than the west during the past few years, making it the tougher playoff road to navigate.

That's a good point regarding KCD. Reflecting back on 2017, they were probably #2 in 1A. But I do think the eastern half of 1A has had more quality teams than the west during the past few years, making it the tougher playoff road to navigate.

Yes the east side has more quality teams. That makes for one playoff game that is tougher than the west side. Even though there are more quality teams in the east, the team that makes it to the title game from that side does not have to face all of them. The road to the title game in the east has one playoff game that is tougher than the road on the west side.

I like Beechwood going to 2A. New district opponents and new playoff opponents will be more interesting. The hardest thing for Beechwood going to 2A is the timing. In 2019 the Tigers will be in a reload year because of all the key losses of seniors from the 2018 team. I wish Beechwood was going to 2A this year with the team they have coming back.

I agree with DevilMayCare. I don't believe New Cath would have won the title in either of the last two years in 1A. In 2015 New Cath had a very good team that would have challenged Pikeville. That would have been a good game to see. I call that one a coin flip. New Cath will not walk to titles in 1A. They will need to be better than they have shown the past couple of seasons.

Yes the east side has more quality teams. That makes for one playoff game that is tougher than the west side. Even though there are more quality teams in the east, the team that makes it to the title game from that side does not have to face all of them. The road to the title game in the east has one playoff game that is tougher than the road on the west side.

At the end of the day Beechwood has been very fortunate these last two realignments. They were able to barely stay in 1A the last realignment, while it's toughest competition moved up to 2A. Beechwood enrollment wise basically became a 2a team most of these last 4 years playing smaller teams. The tougher competition like a Mayfield was the reason they didn't win a title for so long, and then they were gone too.

During these last 4 years while 1A became an easier path. 2A was absolutely loaded. Beechwood now moves up to the 2A class and NCC moves down and a few other big dogs that made 2A so tough the last 4 years moved up a class.

No state title is easy and is deserved. Which Beechwood has deserved those titles. But I don't think it can be argued that Beechwood hasn't been very fortunate these last 2 realignments, in creating an easier path than what it could have been.

Plenty of interesting changes. My main interest to follow once the change takes place will be in 1A and 4A. Many probably think that Newport Catholic will be the runaway top team, but I'm not so sure. They will definitely be tough but I look for it to be interesting. Coach Lickert has this season to prepare in his first year with the Breds and maybe things change quickly in the right direction. Either way, 1A should be interesting to follow, especially its first couple seasons after the change.

4A should be really good with the additions along with other teams that remained.

The 5A district that Frederick Douglass is in could be interesting. I feel for Grant County being in the mix with it.