Hellcats

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have your opinion. I go by facts.

This does a decent job describing it. Without knowing this guy's motive, there's no way you can call it terrorism.

When are mass shootings acts of terrorism? – Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies – Medium

"Not defining an action as terrorism doesn’t mean that it is morally justified or acceptable. We should resist slipping into a kind of rhetoric in which terrorism is simply a term of opprobrium rather than a definition of a particular form of violence. There can be atrocious cruelty without terrorism."

Right, just the facts...

I skimmed it, that is an opinion article but I did find this little nugget within the article:

"A domestic act of terrorism would involve Americans attacking fellow Americans within the United States."

=============

The fact of the matter (at least in our little debate) is no one can come up with a single better word to describe an incident like this than Terrorism.

No room for cowardice. If those guys are full time sworn road deputies, they gotta go. We sign up for this job knowing full and well it’s dangerous and you may die on any given day.

Every cop at some point has been scared in their career. You got to man up sometimes and put that fear in the back of your mind and take care of business and do your job. Under no circumstances could I imagine standing outside doing nothing while I’m hearing rounds going off. Got to make peace with God and get in there and be a hero.

Right, just the facts...

I skimmed it, that is an opinion article but I did find this little nugget within the article:

"A domestic act of terrorism would involve Americans attacking fellow Americans within the United States."

=============

The fact of the matter (at least in our little debate) is no one can come up with a single better word to describe an incident like this than Terrorism.

Not a "single word" exactly, but has anyone suggested "Lone Wolf Mass Shooting" yet?

Right, just the facts...

=============

That's because we're not required to use one word. Mass shooting describes it better.

I'll end my part there.

No room for cowardice. If those guys are full time sworn road deputies, they gotta go. We sign up for this job knowing full and well it’s dangerous and you may die on any given day.

Every cop at some point has been scared in their career. You got to man up sometimes and put that fear in the back of your mind and take care of business and do your job. Under no circumstances could I imagine standing outside doing nothing while I’m hearing rounds going off. Got to make peace with God and get in there and be a hero.

That is generally my feeling and definitely how we trained at my old PD but I would like to hear their side of the story before I pass judgement.

I realize many people would disagree with me but if we are going to contain school shootings it will have to be a multi-faceted approach and one of the last lines of defense will be armed teachers barricaded inside their classrooms taking up a defensive position with a gun.

In short, the doorway into a classroom is the perfect choke point to kill an attacker.

Agreed, they don't call that door way the fatal funnel for nothing. I also agree on arming some teachers. I believe there should and will be a selection process for determining which ones can or should be allowed to have a gun in the classroom. Some folks act like arming teachers means every teacher is just going to be given a gun whether they are comfortable with it or not and that's simply not how it will happen.

This is exactly is how I feel about the idea of arming teachers. We will ask them to teach our kids, call them incompetent when our kid is failing, be angry when they tell us our kid is suspended, but expect them to become the police in an instant. I don’t doubt for one minute there are teachers willing and able to do that. But I also don’t doubt for a minute that there are many who don’t want to, and some who are willing, but end up unable in the moment.

It’s not much different than the never ending responsibilities cops are asked to do. On any given night a cop can be a bar bouncer, an attorney, a marriage counselor, a medic, mental health professional, etc. and some nights, all of the above.

You have your opinion. I go by facts.

This does a decent job describing it. Without knowing this guy's motive, there's no way you can call it terrorism.

When are mass shootings acts of terrorism? – Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies – Medium

"Not defining an action as terrorism doesn’t mean that it is morally justified or acceptable. We should resist slipping into a kind of rhetoric in which terrorism is simply a term of opprobrium rather than a definition of a particular form of violence. There can be atrocious cruelty without terrorism."

Facts? You posted an opinion piece...

Agreed, they don't call that door way the fatal funnel for nothing. I also agree on arming some teachers. I believe there should and will be a selection process for determining which ones can or should be allowed to have a gun in the classroom. Some folks act like arming teachers means every teacher is just going to be given a gun whether they are comfortable with it or not and that's simply not how it will happen.

What’s the point of arming only some? What if I’m not selected and my class is the one that he/she walks into. How do we tell the parents, “The shooter chose the wrong classroom. Had he entered room 118, Mrs. Jones (who was chosen to have a weapon) would have take him out. But the shooter chose Room 120, and Mr. Smith was not chosen to have a weapon, thus Mr Smith and his 20 students are dead.”

What’s the point of arming only some? What if I’m not selected and my class is the one that he/she walks into. How do we tell the parents, “The shooter chose the wrong classroom. Had he entered room 118, Mrs. Jones (who was chosen to have a weapon) would have take him out. But the shooter chose Room 120, and Mr. Smith was not chosen to have a weapon, thus Mr Smith and his 20 students are dead.”

1...you can't force all teachers to be armed.

2...those "chosen", will in nearly all cases be the ones that either have some prior training or willingness to carry a firearm at school.

3...it's still better than the shooter lingered for 10 minutes going room to room shooting everyone, if in the 2nd room he faces a teacher able to fight back.

4...how do you tell a parent or a teachers family that coach Johnson and his class died because we refused to let coach Johnson conceal carry at school?

Facts? You posted an opinion piece...

Ill respond one more time then I'll move on.

The FBI investigates all terrorism in the US. They don't investigate mass shootings, unless they're terrorist attacks. They have a definition for what terrorism is. This shooting does not fit that definition. These are facts.

Dictionary.com definition doesn't fit either imo. You might think it does. While that's interesting it's not relevant, because they don't decide what is and isn't a terrorist attack in our country.

You might think it's terrorism. The federal agency responsible for investigating terrorism says it isn't. It's a terrible tragedy no matter what you call it. Calling it terrorism when it isn't is makes no sense.