Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

SRO stood outside Parkland while shooting occurred has resigned

Featured Replies

  • Author

At least two school personnel and one officer were assaulted and received minor injuries Thursday during a fight at Scott County High School, according to school district and police officials.

Superintendent Kevin Hub said that a teacher and an administrator were injured trying to break up the fight. The fight involved four to six female students. The students were disciplined in accordance with the district’s code of conduct, Hub said.

 

Read more here: Girls face charges after large fight injures Scott County staff, officer | Lexington Herald Leader

 

Then there is this.

 

Things don't go the way you think.

  • Replies 142
  • Views 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that something needs to be done in reference to school shootings. But presently as parents, we send our most precious of family members to school and leave them under the authority and guidance of individuals that we as a society pay pennies on the dollar. We then expect these miraculous feats of learning and growth and development as we strip teachers of any power to discipline troubled kids. Now in addition, we would like a little more from you guys....we need you to be trained on weapons and the use of said weapons. We will train you on how to take down these gunmen. We are asking a lot from teachers on this one I believe.

I agree that something needs to be done in reference to school shootings. But presently as parents, we send our most precious of family members to school and leave them under the authority and guidance of individuals that we as a society pay pennies on the dollar. We then expect these miraculous feats of learning and growth and development as we strip teachers of any power to discipline troubled kids. Now in addition, we would like a little more from you guys....we need you to be trained on weapons and the use of said weapons. We will train you on how to take down these gunmen. We are asking a lot from teachers on this one I believe.

 

I feel so bad for people going into the teaching profession these days, it now carries so much more baggage than it once did.

I agree that something needs to be done in reference to school shootings. But presently as parents, we send our most precious of family members to school and leave them under the authority and guidance of individuals that we as a society pay pennies on the dollar. We then expect these miraculous feats of learning and growth and development as we strip teachers of any power to discipline troubled kids. Now in addition, we would like a little more from you guys....we need you to be trained on weapons and the use of said weapons. We will train you on how to take down these gunmen. We are asking a lot from teachers on this one I believe.

 

You are right, it is A LOT to ask. But arming teachers should only be the last line of defense and only a small part of the solution.

 

Nearly every school I know of is an extremely Soft Target and it is blatantly obvious to me that we (the USA) are NOT taking this issue seriously because if we were we would have a minimum of three to four highly trained soldiers/police officers/super humans assigned to every school in America until we figure out the long term solutions.

I feel so bad for people going into the teaching profession these days, it now carries so much more baggage than it once did.

 

We expect them to be all things to out kids, part parent, disciplinarian, teacher, morality police, and personal protection. I think this also opens up opportunity for grieving families then to place the "blame" on teachers when their child isn't saved. I think this also opens up some potential for conflicts when a teacher doesn't feel he or she should have a gun. If they lose a student to a gunman, does that mean they are derelict in their duty?

 

I just don't see how this is fair. Police have extensive training and their jobs are designed so they are pretty much always on alert. Yet we want a teacher conducting classes to also be on the alert? I just hope my daughter in law leaves teaching at this point.

Reading this thread makes me wonder why anyone thinks allowing teachers to have weapons in school is a possible solution or deterent.

 

I realize many people would disagree with me but if we are going to contain school shootings it will have to be a multi-faceted approach and one of the last lines of defense will be armed teachers barricaded inside their classrooms taking up a defensive position with a gun.

 

In short, the doorway into a classroom is the perfect choke point to kill an attacker.

 

100%. Arming a teacher, by itself, is not going to stop school shootings. It is another deterrent and a last line of defense. It's going to take multiple steps to make a school safe as possible. And I don't think every teacher needs to be carrying a weapon. I think there is enough teachers/staff at every school that already have a CCW permit that would be willing though.

 

And this SRO should pay back every penny he ever made being the SRO. I can only imagine what he was thinking, but he took a job whose main duty is protecting the children and didn't do his job.

Then we need another word.

 

Excellent Hellcats!

 

I challenge ANYONE here at BGP to come up with a single, better word to describe these type of criminal acts than Terrorism.

Cowards

You are right, it is A LOT to ask. But arming teachers should only be the last line of defense and only a small part of the solution.

 

Nearly every school I know of is an extremely Soft Target and it is blatantly obvious to me that we (the USA) are NOT taking this issue seriously because if we were we would have a minimum of three to four highly trained soldiers/police officers/super humans assigned to every school in America until we figure out the long term solutions.

 

I'm with you, something has to change....my wife is a school teacher and her knowledge and experience with a weapon is drastically changing as we speak. I decided without her consent that she will be trained on using a hand gun. This is where we are right now as a society in our school systems. There are more levels to the school's problems than we probably would like to visit and talk about as a society. We have to come up with something though, I just don't know if gun toting teachers is the absolute answer.

Hatred.

 

Evil.

 

What do I win?

 

Cowards

 

All generic terms that could apply to a lot of things/people.

 

No one is going to be able to do it because there isn't any better word but I am all about the journey.

All generic terms that could apply to a lot of things/people.

 

No one is going to be able to do it because there isn't any better word but I am all about the journey.

 

:lol2: Sure there is, you just aren't willing to consider anything else. You've already made up your mind and that's that.

:lol2: Sure there is, you just aren't willing to consider anything else. You've already made up your mind and that's that.

 

Is that right?

 

I can hear the news reports, there was an act of hatred today at any school USA or there was an act of evil today at any school USA or there was an act of cowards today at any school USA.

 

None of those single words come close to accurately describing this better than the word Terrorism.

Is that right?

 

I can hear the news reports, there was an act of hatred today at any school USA or there was an act of evil today at any school USA or there was an act of cowards today at any school USA.

 

None of those single words come close to accurately describing this better than the word Terrorism.

 

Terrorism implies a political agenda, which there wasn't. It's not any more accurate.

Terrorism implies a political agenda, which there wasn't. It's not any more accurate.

 

Not according to dictionary.com.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.