Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

SRO stood outside Parkland while shooting occurred has resigned

Featured Replies

Can anyone explain why we are blaming everyone but the gunman?

  • Replies 142
  • Views 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can anyone explain why we are blaming everyone but the gunman?

 

Because this incident exposed systematic failures at multiple levels.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm not a fan of arming teachers. First, I don't feel that it solves anything because it's purely a reactionary attempt to "solve" this problem. Secondly, how many teachers would volunteer to carry if they truly thought about the liability that comes with it? There's a great responsibility in carrying a firearm in your classroom and with that comes great consequences if the wrong choices are made. It seems like the risk outweighs the reward on this proposal.

 

As a Teacher the Cons way way way way way outweigh the Pros. No doubt about it.

 

These should be paid positions of at least an extra 10K a year but it will require a lot of ongoing training and not getting all summer off.

I saw the governor of Texas on TV today talking about the state’s Marshall plan. It allows highly trained teachers to have guns but they have to be under lock and key, only to come out in an active shooter situation. This might be a better alternative to teachers carrying guns in a purse or on their person.

 

As far as the SRO goes, I have mixed feelings. One one hand, had my child been in that building, I would have expected him to run right into that building.

 

On the other hand, one thing we do know is that he and other SRO’s are not trained for this situation. I imagine that there was a lot of confusion and chaos for those six minutes. The campus is a big one. Where was the SRO when the shooting started? How long did it take for him to realize what was going on? He said he thought the shooter was outside, could this be true? Did he have any idea where the shooter actually was? Maybe he was just overwhelmed and didn’t know what to do.

 

Hindsight is always 20/20. We need more training for our SRO’s, and maybe a little compassion for one that didn’t respond like police do on TV.

Most SRO's that I know have all attended active shooter training.

 

If a school or department doesn't make that available to them, it is criminal IMO.

 

I'm familiar with eight SRO's from 4 different departments and only one of them is a retired officer from a previous LEO job. The rest are still active officers that are on the street when school is out or not in session.

Interesting interview with teacher.

 

- She notes no fire alarm.

- She says 'thinking - why are the police here.' as she explains the shooter was in full tactical gear "full metal garb, helmet, face mask, bullet-proof armor, shooting this rifle I had never seen before. "

 

"It's hard to live with, because I loved... - Good Morning America

 

So did this kid, wearing “full metal garb” strip all of this off and walk out with students or did he sneak out of a back door? How did he get out of the building ?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.