SRO stood outside Parkland while shooting occurred has resigned

Hellcats

It’s not much different than the never ending responsibilities cops are asked to do. On any given night a cop can be a bar bouncer, an attorney, a marriage counselor, a medic, mental health professional, etc. and some nights, all of the above.

This. And we wouldn't be asking teachers to be police. Just be good people who happen to carry a gun just in case.

If I were a teacher I'd absolutely volunteer to carry one.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It’s not much different than the never ending responsibilities cops are asked to do. On any given night a cop can be a bar bouncer, an attorney, a marriage counselor, a medic, mental health professional, etc. and some nights, all of the above.

Jobs are similar for sure. Clientele and objective are very different.

I'm for military veterans that have been carefully evaluated for mental health including post-traumatic stress disorder to protect our school kids. They should be reevaluated frequently. I'm also for teachers willing to be a last line of defense so long as they too are evaluated for mental health and well trained.

I’m also for Nosy Nellies, Truth-seeking Tommies, Rumor-Researcher Rhondas, Watchful Williams, Listening Lindas, and Suspicious Sams.

We know the ball was dropped on this incident, even though there were some pretty strong signs. But typically, there is suspicious behavior, strange communications, etc. that must not be ignored.

I'm for military veterans that have been carefully evaluated for mental health including post-traumatic stress disorder to protect our school kids. They should be reevaluated frequently. I'm also for teachers willing to be a last line of defense so long as they too are evaluated for mental health and well trained.

In Texas, they already have 172 districts set up with armed teachers. And it seems reasonable.

In Texas, 172 districts allow teachers, staff to carry guns in schools

From the article: Teachers and staff had to undergo a mental health evaluation and 80 hours of training by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement to carry a weapon at district campuses, Kelly said, adding each petition to carry also has to be approved by the school board.

Police say more deputies waited outside school during Stoneman Douglas shooting - Sun Sentinel

Instead of rushing in, several Broward sheriff’s deputies waited outside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School while a killer gunned down schoolchildren, according to other officers on the scene.

Dang...

Sheriff needs to go imo. This is unacceptable, if true.

What a tough position to be in. I cannot imagine what he must be going through. Can any of us ever really know how we will respond when something like that happens? I know how I think I would respond. I tell myself I’d be putting myself between the shooter and the students. But would I? I’ve always responded well in a crisis. But I’ve never been in a deadly situation. There isn’t anyone to warn you what may be coming. You are going about your normal day and then it’s chaos and I can’t even imagine...do you even realize what is happening right away?

I agree 100%. That's why teachers should NOT carry weapons. With that; when the SRO put that badge on, he knew, he knew the dangers and the risks. This may be harsh but he signed up for it and should have gone in. If your child was in the line of fire, would you want him outside in a defensive position or in the building engaging the shooter?

I agree 100%. That's why teachers should NOT carry weapons. With that; when the SRO put that badge on, he knew, he knew the dangers and the risks. This may be harsh but he signed up for it and should have gone in. If your child was in the line of fire, would you want him outside in a defensive position or in the building engaging the shooter?

There are some teachers that are very proficient with firearms out there. Why should they not have the option to carry?

No one wants to require them to. But if they can prove they're capable, why not give them a fighting chance if one of these cowards comes in their class room with a gun.

There are some teachers that are very proficient with firearms out there. Why should they not have the option to carry?

No one wants to require them to. But if they can prove they're capable, why not give them a fighting chance if one of these cowards comes in their class room with a gun.

Isn’t this the whole premise of ccdw? No one requires every person to get a ccdw permit, but for the people who want to, it’s a good option.

What’s the point of arming only some? What if I’m not selected and my class is the one that he/she walks into. How do we tell the parents, “The shooter chose the wrong classroom. Had he entered room 118, Mrs. Jones (who was chosen to have a weapon) would have take him out. But the shooter chose Room 120, and Mr. Smith was not chosen to have a weapon, thus Mr Smith and his 20 students are dead.”

1...you can't force all teachers to be armed.

2...those "chosen", will in nearly all cases be the ones that either have some prior training or willingness to carry a firearm at school.

3...it's still better than the shooter lingered for 10 minutes going room to room shooting everyone, if in the 2nd room he faces a teacher able to fight back.

4...how do you tell a parent or a teachers family that coach Johnson and his class died because we refused to let coach Johnson conceal carry at school?

I believe JD pretty much covered it for me. It ain't perfect but it's a step in the right direction and a change that could save lives.

What’s the point of arming only some? What if I’m not selected and my class is the one that he/she walks into. How do we tell the parents, “The shooter chose the wrong classroom. Had he entered room 118, Mrs. Jones (who was chosen to have a weapon) would have take him out. But the shooter chose Room 120, and Mr. Smith was not chosen to have a weapon, thus Mr Smith and his 20 students are dead.”

Wait, you weren't my rider last night were you......

This guy is going to take the heat and will be the punching bag but he was just the last failure if a chain of massive, unforgivable errors that led to the event.

A sheriff that was called out numerous times on the individual, tips to the FBI not acted on, a 'guardian' who allowed the retention of firearms in his house and 'thought' he had the only key to the safe that apparently the kid bought himself (and this from a military intel guy); video tape systems running 20 minutes behind; slow 911 response, drills where blank shots were used or supposed to be used, etc. Even the Secret Services in the school a few weeks before doing things - for all the good that seems to have to done. Just about every single government entity in charge of public safety that was involved prior to the event completely failed to do their role.

But this guy will become the punching bag, scapegoat, etc. while the other entities try to cover up their issues.

This guy (I believe you are talking about the SRO) failed to do HIS job. There is more than enough blame to go around. Maybe some others should lose jobs or

positions, but at the end of it all; he signed up to be the guy to go toward the trouble when it hit the fan and he did not. It doesn't matter who dropped the ball prior to the first shot being fired. When the shooting began, he could have attempted to stop or at the least minimize the carnage, but he failed to act.