Male 28 Saint Xavier 27 (OT)

LSURock

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say this -- X wins the rematch (if it does happen). X won't spot Male a 21 point lead, and I don't think that Male's lack of conditioning will improve over the next 3 weeks.

I think tonight was the first time their starters had to play all 4 quarters.

It was good to see Glaser finally pick up on what we knew to use on Male years ago. :thumb:

I got there early and meet some X kids and had a nice chat. Great crowd for both sides. Field was in terrible shape and that was a shame for both teams. Like posted earlier "A tale of two halfs". X defense gave our QB different looks in the 2nd half and they played very well, and with a 21-0 lead I felt it was over, but the X QB was outstanding. .

Super game tonight at Manual with hats off to the Bulldogs for the win. 3 things that I predicted came through that I saw. 1) After the defensive holding call, X was able to throw against the Dogs. Before that, and after fatigue set in, Male's defense was solid. 2) X would struggle against a good running QB 3) Sorry LSURock but X threw deep down the middle with Zoeller at QB effectively. I thought that they would hit Duece down the middle on a circle route but Eckman ran the route and got the 1st TD. Hottel beat his guy 4 times and caught 2 TD's.

Things that surprised me.

1) Beaumont is a good cover defender and flies to the ball.

2) The Male offensive line is as good as advertised.

3) The tremendous respect that both teams showed to each other.

No obvious talking and taunting, almost no cheap shots, just good football. Both coaches should be commended.

Kudos to Gainey and the Male offensive line for controlling the LOS early and pulling it out in the end. Gainey was so elusive. Any college offers? Also, I am convinced about my vote( if I had one) for Mr. Football, 4 TD's against a defense that is watching his every move. He took the team and carried them through the last drive and into overtime. Thanks for a great game-see it again hopefully in 3 weeks, same bat time, different bat channel( Preston Road or Papa Johns)

This game was a mess and if it were on a good surface Male would've dominated for 3 quarters instead of 4. I too think that X will likely win the rematch, BUT a few notes from this one.

X's defense has major, major problems...now you can hang your hat on the second half, but I feel that Bob Redman was a major factor in that. He continued to try to spread the field while X simply decided to keep on blitzing. Gainey had no time to do anything else, and Bob would not adjust. Defensively, Male was on the field for the whole second half. It was good for Glaser to adjust and pass the ball deep (something we realized in 2001). Great passing game by Zoeller all 3 balls looked great, and the last two were great catches. The worst play call of the game, was going for the TD to Beaumont in traffic, at the end of regulation. Just try the kick...they escaped, and they had better play their starters for the next two weeks before the big rematch on the 10th. All in all an exciting game.

Buddy, do really think Male will not be fresh for the first half if they play again? We had a 3rd down on the X 1 foot line and our left tackle moved and we end ed up with nothing. It could have been 28-0 at the half. Also I really believe the messy field hurt both teams alot. But which team has more speed and a sloppy field would hurt which team more? I'd love to play X again.