Breaking: School Shooting at FL High School

UKMustangFan

Didn’t this school have armed guards though? Or are you meaning a sizable squad of them?

I mean at any door that someone from the outside can enter. That's their job, man the entrance door. The problem with SRO is they may be on the other side of the building dealing with an issue.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all this is a mental health issue. Had been to a shrink, stopped going, posting on social media about death, mutilating animals, etc. , expelled from school, adopted mom passed away in November. Kid snapped. He should not have been allowed to own a gun.

As for getting into the school, I’m not sure how far he got into the building. Thought I heard some folks were shot outside and some inside? After they heard shots, they put the school on lockdown and than they think he knew if he pulled fire alarm they have to evacuate.

Sad situation for all.

You’re 200k property tax goes up by 20 bucks a year. I am willing to pay that to offer another layer of security for my kids. That’s not asking for much.

So in Fort Thomas there's what, 2500 properties? that's $50,000. You think that would put multiple installations in 5 public schools and monitor them daily? What about private schools?

You can bet it would be a LOT more than $20 per household. I would actually be ok with paying a lot more than that to make the schools safer, I just have grave doubts that enough people would vote for it considering how much taxes would have to go up.

First of all this is a mental health issue. Had been to a shrink, stopped going, posting on social media about death, mutilating animals, etc. , expelled from school, adopted mom passed away in November. Kid snapped. He should not have been allowed to own a gun.

As for getting into the school, I’m not sure how far he got into the building. Thought I heard some folks were shot outside and some inside? After they heard shots, they put the school on lockdown and than they think he knew if he pulled fire alarm they have to evacuate.

Sad situation for all.

I don't think it's so simple. I think labeling it as a mental health issue is easy and convenient. But it also helps push forward the stigmatization of those with mental health problems. Like anything else, the vast majority of those with mental health problems, aren't any danger to society, and often that labeling and fear is one of the factors that keep people from getting help who really need it. Rather than just labeling it as mental illness across the board, I think it's just more that some people are prone to violence, which seems to be a far more common thread, and easier to identify than just the blanket "he's mentally ill".

Two Shooters in a row arrested instead of taking their own life...that is very shocking also. Are these idiots looking for some sort of notoriety from these events?

Silver lining: because these shooters didn't take their own life or get killed in a fire-fight with police, there is an opportunity to learn what their motives were, the kinds of things that led to this moment, etc. Perhaps this helps with prevention of this sort of thing in the future, safety measures to implement in schools, etc.

In this case, it may be that justice delayed (but served in a reasonable time) may be more productive for society than immediate dispatch of the terrorist.

I don't think it's so simple. I think labeling it as a mental health issue is easy and convenient. But it also helps push forward the stigmatization of those with mental health problems. Like anything else, the vast majority of those with mental health problems, aren't any danger to society, and often that labeling and fear is one of the factors that keep people from getting help who really need it. Rather than just labeling it as mental illness across the board, I think it's just more that some people are prone to violence, which seems to be a far more common thread, and easier to identify than just the blanket "he's mentally ill".

I agree it's not simple when it comes to prevention and putting limits on what we allow a person with mental health issues to do. No clear cut way of defining how crazy they are or what extremes they will go to.

A news station commented that there were 2 potential shootings stopped by people reporting social media posts and police investigating them. But none of us want big brother peering down on us with every move we make.

Fine line we are dealing with.

What if schools posted a sign outside that says "all of our teachers are allowed to obtain their concealed carry license and allowed to have their fire arm on them at all times"? I'm sure plenty of teachers wouldn't obtain a license let alone a fire arm, but plenty would. It'd would certainly add a security "layer".

In my opinion teachers are responsible enough to trust with a fire arm. If they wanted they could take out an entire class room at any time.