Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Breaking: School Shooting at FL High School

Featured Replies

I agree it's not simple when it comes to prevention and putting limits on what we allow a person with mental health issues to do. No clear cut way of defining how crazy they are or what extremes they will go to.

A news station commented that there were 2 potential shootings stopped by people reporting social media posts and police investigating them. But none of us want big brother peering down on us with every move we make.

Fine line we are dealing with.

 

And therein lies the problem. Any policy to help identify, predict, or prevent a potentially violent (for whatever reason) person from committing this type of act, is going to infringe some on freedoms. How much freedom are we willing to let go, and how big of a window into our lives do we want to give big brother?? Those questions get mighty tough to answer.

  • Replies 185
  • Views 16.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was a bully and a discipline problem. Calling it a mental health issue is a disservice to the thousands of people who truly are disabled.

 

UMMM, the dude had been to a shrink??

Plus I pretty much think anyone who willingly opens fire on innocent bystanders is not playing with a full deck. Now go back to the Olympic sport or recreation thread and post there. LOL

When Muslims conduct acts like this (mass killings) it's terrorism. Why is this different?

 

Because the motive is probably different. I don't know his motive yet, but unless it is political, it isn't terrorism.

He was a bully and a discipline problem. Calling it a mental health issue is a disservice to the thousands of people who truly are disabled.

 

No doubt. Which is why we've got to get away from this blanket "mental health" statement. It's damaging to those who truly are, and no threat to society, which is the vast majority.

UMMM, the dude had been to a shrink??

Plus I pretty much think anyone who willingly opens fire on innocent bystanders is not playing with a full deck.

 

So every person that sees a shrink is written off as crazy? That's A LOT of people.

 

To your second point, I don't disagree necessarily, but one act doesn't make someone mentally ill in my book.

Walk Through Metal Detectors cost around $5000 each. For a school like Hopkinsville High, you would need at least 7 metal detectors because there are many different buildings on campus that are separate from each other. That is $35,000 just for one school. That seems expensive, especially since education budgets are being cut. However, there is a lot of spending that takes place that could be put on hold for a year to fund the initial cost.

 

I do think metal detectors would be a great layer of protection and would be a deterrent, but I do not think they solve the problem.

 

On a side note: Which is a easier target for someone who wants to do damage, a school in session, or a packed gym at a rival basketball game. It will happen sooner or later, and what are we doing to stop that besides police presence.

Walk Through Metal Detectors cost around $5000 each. For a school like Hopkinsville High, you would need at least 7 metal detectors because there are many different buildings on campus that are separate from each other. That is $35,000 just for one school. That seems expensive, especially since education budgets are being cut. However, there is a lot of spending that takes place that could be put on hold for a year to fund the initial cost.

 

I do think metal detectors would be a great layer of protection and would be a deterrent, but I do not think they solve the problem.

 

On a side note: Which is a easier target for someone who wants to do damage, a school in session, or a packed gym at a rival basketball game. It will happen sooner or later, and what are we doing to stop that besides police presence.

 

I think school in session but I won't get into the reasons.

Because the motive is probably different. I don't know his motive yet, but unless it is political, it isn't terrorism.

 

Terrorism isn't isolated to politics. That's pretty obvious.

So every person that sees a shrink is written off as crazy? That's A LOT of people.

 

To your second point, I don't disagree necessarily, but one act doesn't make someone mentally ill in my book.

 

Is he mentally ill, in that I don't think he should stand trial and face consequences for his actions? No. But anyone capable of killing and hurting this many innocent people is a little off imo. Regardless, i hope he rots in prison or faces the death penalty. No place for him in this world anymore.

Terrorism isn't isolated to politics. That's pretty obvious.

 

If you can figure that out so quickly, you should be able to figure out why school shootings and 9/11 are different.

Im not sure what his motive was, but if he was mad at a teacher, or crazy do you think that is the same as an attack on our country because of our beliefs or our involvement in other parts of the world?

Is he mentally ill, in that I don't think he should stand trial and face consequences for his actions? No. But anyone capable of killing and hurting this many innocent people is a little off imo. Regardless, i hope he rots in prison or faces the death penalty. No place for him in this world anymore.

 

I don't disagree with anything you've said here. The only clarification I would make is "a little off" doesn't equal mentally ill to me.

Im not sure what his motive was, but if he was mad at a teacher, or crazy do you think that is the same as an attack on our country because of our beliefs or our involvement in other parts of the world?

 

Terror is defined as "an instance or cause of intense fear or anxiety." Where you and I disagree, I think, is how much the intent (or where/why the hate is directed) affects how we label the act(s).

When Muslims conduct acts like this (mass killings) it's terrorism. Why is this different?
Ideology.
Ideology.

 

So he can't believe in something that you disagree wit that would cause you to label him a terrorist?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.