Different perspective: Who has a really good coach they need to keep?

ChiefSmoke

I know the record does not show it, but Dayton needs to keep Chad Montgomery.

Some of these programs act like they're Tennessee or Michigan and can hire/fire coaches like a big time program. But Head Coaches in HS football are a special breed. Hang on to the ones who are dedicated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach John Myers is in his 14th season as the head man at Russellville. The six seasons prior to Myers coming to Russellville the Panthers had seen one season with a winning record.

Myers went 4-7 hist firs season and posted winning records since. An overall record of 118 wins against 57 losses. 67.4% winning percentage.

The last four years RHS has won 42 and lost 12. They were eliminated from the playoffs in three of those four years by eventual State Champions Mayfield (2X) and Beechwood (1X). Myers has taken the Panthers to three 3A regional championship games, two 1A regional championship games and two 1A Semi Final Games.

He is a keeper.

Agree. He is putting more competitive teams on the field each year. They need to hold on to him.

Not that I have any issues with Chad, he's a great guy but how is he putting more competitive teams on the field each year? Dayton hasn't had more than 2 wins since 2014. They continue to struggle with numbers and fight academic issues at a school that is gaining praise for their academic work in the school. Many of those kids live rough lives outside of football already, if they continue with Chad then moral victories are good enough is the message. At some point they deserve to win. They have had the talent at times and misused it or ran gimmicky offenses and silly coverages in defense.

Sorry this is one that I don't fully agree with. Not trying to be negative in a positive thread.

Looks like some schools are blessed with very good coaches. It is refreshing to hear about the good things these coaches are doing at their schools. Thank you for the responses and please keep them rolling in.

I think the wilderness trace area has had alot of good coaches for quite a long time.

Very surprised to be the first one to say Noel Rash at Beechwood. Perhaps the intent of the thread was to point out what the program supporters could be doing to keep their achieving young coaches. Don't really know that BW needs to do more for Coach Rash (great facility, strong administrative support, loyal fan base, finances I know nothing about); but, this coach needs to be kept for not only what he teaches on the field but for all the other life lessons he shares and teaches these young men. Kind of coach everyone of us would want our sons to play for.

Not that I have any issues with Chad, he's a great guy but how is he putting more competitive teams on the field each year? Dayton hasn't had more than 2 wins since 2014. They continue to struggle with numbers and fight academic issues at a school that is gaining praise for their academic work in the school. Many of those kids live rough lives outside of football already, if they continue with Chad then moral victories are good enough is the message. At some point they deserve to win. They have had the talent at times and misused it or ran gimmicky offenses and silly coverages in defense.

Sorry this is one that I don't fully agree with. Not trying to be negative in a positive thread.

I've coached against this guy and his staff for the past 3 years. Our team has taken some big strides during that time but one game we do not take for granted is the matchup with the devils. I think he does a fine job with what he has and they fight hard for him in each game I have seen, despite the end result. There is something to be said about a coach that can make kids play all 4 quarters against opponents that are, for the most part, better than they are.

He is laying a foundation at a 1A school that, eventually, will have the athletes line up right. (Not unlike Sizemore was doing at Bracken for last years class and for the class Coach Brausch has this year) They compete, and in the games I witnessed held their own for a little while before being out athlete-d or out manned. For me it is not always about W's. If it were for the people I work with, I would probably have had a different job by now.

Not sure if I missed someone else posting it but Cov Cath needs to keep Eddie Eviston. Not that I’ve heard that he has thought about leaving but he has turned the program around in three short years back to a powerhouse. I know he is stacked with players this year but his play calling is top notch and he is a great leader that has had the kids believing in themselves since day 1.

Edited by CCHColonels44
Misspelling

My money goes to Coach James at Franklin County. The job he and his staff did this was was great considering all the things they had to go through off the field. They took a group of backups and played a loaded Mercer County team who may win the region to the final play of the game. They will return most of their top talent on both sides of the ball and he is already working towards improvements for next year to build a program the right way. Keep plugging along coach!!!

Scott High School and Coach Danny Wooley. Scott was the essential punching bag of Northern Kentucky for over two decades before Wooley showed up on the scene. Wooley took over in 2012, and after years and years of 2-9, 3-7, 4-5 seasons, he helped the Eagles fight their way to their second ever winning season in 2013 - his second year as head coach. Followed that up with another winning season in 2014, then their best ever season, 10-3, in 2015.

Danny's coaching method is pretty simple: do what you can with the players you have, and make sure they give 110% for 48 minutes. He's helped his players see that you can build on things if you just keep working hard. Building on things doesn't mean a state championship or trip to the finals - yet - but I sincerely think that Scott has a chance at an appearance in the state finals if Wooley hangs around there.

@ChiefSmoke, great thread idea with a great opening post.

Greenup County: The Musketeers have not been a power, or had that many winning seasons over the school's history. Scott Grizzle took over the Head Coaching job last season and posted a 2016 record of 7-5 with a playoff win in round one. He posted a record of 6-5 this season giving him a two year, career, record of 13-10 in his first two season ever as a head coach. Scott is young, energetic and a very knowledgable coach and a coach that Greenup County should do everything they can to retain as long as they can. His Uncle, T.J. Maynard (now the coach at Russell) is the winningest coach in Greenup County history and the Musketeers allowed, or pushed him, away. Greenup County would do well to do everything they can to keep Scott.

I think the wilderness trace area has had alot of good coaches for quite a long time.

I agree... The staff at Boyle obviously speaks for itself. Mercer has a quality staff. Coach B has a good group of young coaches who work their guts out and are quality men in the community, too. Coach Perry does a great job at Garrard. Although Lincoln has struggled, I think Coach Leffew works his tail off there, and gets a lot out of a tough situation.