Tipping Policy

PP1

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest question for you and everyone else. Why do you feel its acceptable to give some one who gives bad service 20%? Doesnt that just reward the bad service?

Because the server could be overwhelmed, sick, having a terrible day, dealing with major problems at home, etc. I know if I was in their shoes, I would hope to receive the same treatment.

Now, what if they're just lazy or terrible at that job? I figure they'll not last long whether we give 20% or not.

Honest question for you and everyone else. Why do you feel its acceptable to give some one who gives bad service 20%? Doesnt that just reward the bad service?

And because bad service is rarely simply poor execution or laziness. There are so many factors involved. How many tables have they been seated? Was the interval between seatings adequate to allow the server to maintain a workable flow? Is the kitchen running smoothly? Did everyone show up for work that day? Are the other customers extraordinarily needy?

Believe it or not, restaurants don't keep bad servers. They don't make money for the restaurant.

Because the server could be overwhelmed, sick, having a terrible day, dealing with major problems at home, etc. I know if I was in their shoes, I would hope to receive the same treatment.

Now, what if they're just lazy or terrible at that job? I figure they'll not last long whether we give 20% or not.

Or a manager who is a certifiable donkey. Kinda like the one at Stoney River Grill at the Summit in Louisville, if anyone cares.

And because bad service is rarely simply poor execution or laziness. There are so many factors involved. How many tables have they been seated? Was the interval between seatings adequate to allow the server to maintain a workable flow? Is the kitchen running smoothly? Did everyone show up for work that day? Are the other customers extraordinarily needy?

Believe it or not, restaurants don't keep bad servers. They don't make money for the restaurant.

Well said. If you stink as a server, you will soon find out that your name is on the schedule less and less, until it's not there at all.

I don't live in an area that has pizza delivery, but the last time I did I usually tipped around $5 but never more. I haven't eaten out in a restaurant in probably 4 years, but I usually tipped $5 but never more. I don't play golf. I've only experienced valet parking once and that was at a hospital. Well as far as not tipping, I haven't not tipped since eating at the GOLDEN CORAL in Russell. I went forever without a refill and she was slow about bringing me another stack of plates. I guess she was offended by my sweat towel.

An accessory that should be given out at Golden Corral.

Those are the servers issues. They are not mine. Pay for performance.

Those are the servers issues. They are not mine. Pay for performance.

I have a hard time being super critical and using withholding my tip for somebody who is expected to do a song and dance to try make me happy while dealing with lousy managers, co-workers and other customers who are either mean, borderline sexually harassing them, or just exceptionally needy, and rowdy kids who throw food and spill every other drink they get. Serving is a thankless job, one that I could certainly never do, and one where they could easily end up making less than minimum wage some nights when things are slow and they still have to give a portion of their tips to Joe the Bartender, and Eddie the busboy. Are they there to try to entertain us or make us laugh despite our own boorish behavior and expectations that we be served like a king?? I just think for the most part we expect way too much from servers when so much is out of their control. Just think about, we go crazy because they don't refill our drink fast enough?? Is that really a crime against humanity, one worth saying the server doesn't deserve to be paid?? Most people probably don't really need that 7th Diet Mountain Dew right away with their meal anyway.

Serving is one of those jobs many people regularly diminish the importance of, and doesn't deserve high pay because it is unskilled. But people sure go nuts when they don't think it's done well enough to their liking. I'm betting most of us wouldn't last a whole 8 hour shift being server, especially when the first table of jerks stiffs you for no reason.

I have a hard time being super critical and using withholding my tip for somebody who is expected to do a song and dance to try make me happy while dealing with lousy managers, co-workers and other customers who are either mean, borderline sexually harassing them, or just exceptionally needy, and rowdy kids who throw food and spill every other drink they get. Serving is a thankless job, one that I could certainly never do, and one where they could easily end up making less than minimum wage some nights when things are slow and they still have to give a portion of their tips to Joe the Bartender, and Eddie the busboy. Are they there to try to entertain us or make us laugh despite our own boorish behavior and expectations that we be served like a king?? I just think for the most part we expect way too much from servers when so much is out of their control. Just think about, we go crazy because they don't refill our drink fast enough?? Is that really a crime against humanity, one worth saying the server doesn't deserve to be paid?? Most people probably don't really need that 7th Diet Mountain Dew right away with their meal anyway.

Serving is one of those jobs many people regularly diminish the importance of, and doesn't deserve high pay because it is unskilled. But people sure go nuts when they don't think it's done well enough to their liking. I'm betting most of us wouldn't last a whole 8 hour shift being server, especially when the first table of jerks stiffs you for no reason.

You reference serving as an unskilled profession. I beg to differ. There is a skill to the job and it should be rewarded as such. If they don't like their pay, get a different job.

You reference serving as an unskilled profession. I beg to differ. There is a skill to the job and it should be rewarded as such. If they don't like their pay, get a different job.

Not quite. I said

Serving is one of those jobs many people regularly diminish the importance of, and doesn't deserve high pay because it is unskilled
. I do not believe it is an unskilled position. Every job, no matter how menial we think it may be requires some sort of skill in order to be able to do it. If anything, the fact that a server could come home with less than minimum wage after a shift, while being required to serve all customers various, differing needs, and serve them efficiently and with a smile, no matter what, I'd say servers are often underpaid.

I was a server for 3 years in college, so I know the deal. I normally tip 20% (wish that was the standard when I worked) but that being said I have no problem tipping a lesser amount if it is warranted.

An example was this weekend and Texas Roadhouse. We had a table of six. Waitress came to take our drink order, and then asked us if we wanted to go ahead and place our food order as well. This was within a minute of sitting down to the table. We declined and asked for more time it was meet with an :rolleyes:, when I asked for more water prior to getting our food, another :rolleyes:, When my wife asked for some silverware when we got our salads, because there were only five sets for our party of six, another :rolleyes:. I'm sorry but with that attitude your not going to get 20% form me.

Like I said, I've been there, I've had days where I didn't want to be there myself, bad mood, heck even very hungover (it was college) but you can't let that reflect to your customers.

One of the worst situations I experienced, was actually just a couple weeks ago during the 127 yard sale. My son and I had a late, late lunch on Friday (around 2:30). Stopped at a brick-mortar place, figuring that we'd help support the local economy (versus a food truck/trailer that had come in from who knows where).

When we went in, there were five other tables with customers. However, one cleared out pretty much at the same time we sat down. Looked like everybody already had their food. There was one person sitting at the counter, though, that didn't have anything yet.

It took us 10 minutes to get someone to come to our table, and that was the bus boy who was clearing the table next to us. He actually asked what we'd like to drink, and came back with them. 5 minutes later the waitress comes over to take our order.

Food is prepared in a normal amount of time, and brought out by someone in the kitchen, along with the handwritten check. I get halfway thru my meal, when I run out of drink. I sit my empty cup at the end of the table so the waitress can see it. Another 5 minutes go by and my son empties his. My son says the waitress is over at one of the other tables. (I had my back to that portion of the restaurant.) A couple minutes more and the bus boy comes out to clear another table. We flag him down and he gets refills for us.

During the next few minutes, we're able to figure out that the group the waitress was with, was actually family! I turned around one time and saw her holding her grandson.

We both finish our meals, and our drinks and I look at the check. It was the wrong amount. (Not added incorrectly, but an item mispriced by $2.00) I pull out the menu to double check. Our waitress finally comes back over to our table. Only then does she ask if we'd like refills. I point out the mistake on the bill. She appologizes and corrects it.

As we walk up to the counter to pay, she goes around the other side to the register. She talks about how hectic it had been earlier in the day, and shows me a stack of receipts to back it up. As we make smalltalk while I wait for my credit card to go thru, I look around and see that there are only 2 tables with people at them right then...and one of them is her family.

I understand if things are hectic. I understand if you've got to bus your own tables, or serve the food from the kitchen, or even try to wash some dishes in between customers. None of that applied to our situation. We were an after-thought to her. An inconvenience to her spending time with her family. If I could've found the bus boy, I would've pulled some cash out and given it to directly to him, as we got more service from him than we did from her.