Tipping Policy

PP1

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frugal.Tight.Wad. ...and damn proud of it.

- I only eat where I'm waited on for social reasons, otherwise if I'm alone it's simply just to fuel up, so I keep the costs low, while also as healthy as possible.

When I do on occasion hook up with friends I'll tip 20%, and will pay no more than $3 for 1 beer with dinner. If they charge more than that, I settle for water with lemon, which I typically get along with the beer anyhow.

I'll study the menu and find a dish that it satisfactory to me both in nutritional value and price. I never order appetizers or desserts.

Recently I did frequent by myself a few burger joints during Burger Week just to treat myself at a discount, but this is a once a year luxury that I allow myself.

On the back of every Wendy's receipt (and McDonalds) is a survey that rewards you a buy one get one free Dave's single or chicken sandwich. Though it says you can only do it once every 30 days, every Wendy's I go to will honor it every time (and McDonalds).

I order without the bun, and ask for extra veggies all around with a ranch dressing and eat it like a salad and knife and fork the 2 cheeseburgers, with free water....total $4.02 ... Completely satisfying.

I have a stack of receipts ready to use, and the survey takes me all of a minute to take. Wendy's free extra veggies are a better deal than McDonalds, whereas McD's comes to around $4.25 all said and done for two quarter pounders w/ cheese when using their survey receipt.

On occasion just for a change I'll order a Double Whopper with cheese at BK with no bun, and extra veggies, which they've been very generous in honoring, and it'll come to a total of around $6.50. (Living Large...LOL!)

- On the rare occasion that I stay in a hotel, I will carefully compare prices and find a suitable reasonably priced one that is, safe, comfortable, clean, and adequate enough to fulfill the purpose of sleeping and showering.

- I used to tip my barber $3 for a $13 haircut every 2 months, but recently I've been getting away with cutting my own hair and getting better at it, so if I continue to get decent enough results, I'll just do it myself from now on, and clean it up every 2 or 3 weeks.

- Whereas years ago I used to go through a drive- thru car wash and give the guy giving my car back to me $2 after paying a significant price for the wash, I now simply wash my own car for $1.50 at the Shell station in Latonia.

- I used to give the guy giving my car back to me $2 at the Quicky Lube, but since typically 3 or 4 people tend to my car, and their prices have steadily, slight of hand, increased, I can't justify who exactly deserves it, and I can't justify it anyhow since they've raised their prices.

- In the event I have a flat tire that needs a plug put in, if the guy tends to me right away I'll give him $5 in addition to whatever they charge for the services.

- Subway or Chipolle - nothing - (Since I don't eat bread, rice or corn tortillas anymore, I don't even go to these places)

- I typically don't drink more that 2 or 3 beers when in a bar, and I never run a tab, and for every beer that I buy the bartender gets a buck, and will not purchase a beer over $3. Truly I feel stupid paying even that much when knowing that If I really desired a beer I could buy a 6 or 12 pack for more than 3 times less at the store.

On the rare occasion (but it has happened) that a bartender purposely drags his heels to ensure that I miss the happy hour deadline, he gets nothing along with an ornery look, and no more sales from me afterwards.

- On the rare occasion that I attend an arena or stadium event I will absolutely never purchase a thing from the concessions stand, and no way in hell will I ever buy a ridiculously priced beer.

-When attending a festival in the Mainstrasse area of Covington, I'll walk through taking in the sights and sounds, but if I get hungry I''ll simply walk a block to a fast food joint and get er done.

- I regularly fill a water bottle at home with filtered water before leaving my place.

- I don't eat pizza anymore because I'm avoiding bread, but when I got the hankering for one I'd simply go a few blocks to a nearby Little Caesars and pick up a $5 (now $6) that would be satisfactory enough for my pizza craving.

-At Riverfront Pizza in Covington you have the option of being served by a waiter in the tavern part of the establishment, or simply eat in the dining room area 10 feet away where you pick your food up from the counter yourself. - Bet you can guess which way I operate when I eat there, huh?

- I absolutely never use valet parking, or pay to park for that matter, and wherever I'm going I scout out where I can park for free, and consider the exercise to be good for me if I have to walk a couple of blocks.

I attended the Sweet 16 at Rupp for 10 straight years where I sat in the first row of the upper deck at half court, bought my tickets in advance, and never once paid to park as I had studied the area, and never had to walk more than 5 minutes from where I had parked for free.

On the back of every advance ticket was a buy one get one free at McDonalds, and I stayed in a reasonably priced and clean hotel that offered a free breakfast.

Now I stay home and watch both boys and girls tournaments online for a total of $10 hooking my tablet up to my wide screen TV.

My good memories of attending sustain me, and I'm completely satisfied with the at home convenience, while saving my money. The end result is that I get to see the games which is my primary goal anyhow.

Even in downtown Cincy where meters are in effect until 9:00 I have a pretty good idea of the random free parking spots available and seek them out.

If I do park at a meter it'll be when I can use the free 10-15 minute grace period, and I've been known to pull into a spot at 8:50 and do just that if I'm that close to the 9:00 deadline.

Last week I ate at an Indian Restaurant on York St. in Newport. Meters are in effect until midnight there. Directly trough the intersection just a hair south on same street, street parking is free. I can walk 30 seconds...it won't kill me, or even in the slightest feel like an inconvenience.

-I don't care if it's only a penny, if one is on the sidewalk I will pick it up.

- I use Kroger digital coupons for just about anything that I need if one is available, and I use Kroger fuel points when filling up at the pump.

- I've lived for 24 years in a comfortable one room efficiency in a mansion in a lovely historic neighborhood with off street parking, where for the first 15 years my rent, everything included, was less than what most people pay for their monthly energy bill.

New owner raised rent, but for last 9 years it's still been reasonable in a safe secure building w/ free laundry facilities and a tropical setting in-ground swimming pool, in a safe neighborhood, where for the same price elsewhere I'd be living in a dump, and broken into regularly.

I'm not the least bit embarrassed to admit that I'm extremely thrifty. I was raised by Great Depression era parents who were thrifty as well, and would never foolishly waste one cent.

I attended a tech school in the early 80's for $6 a month that placed me in a decent IT University job where I also had additional free schooling.

Though other co-workers paid monthly parking fees, I never did for the many years that I worked there.

I purposely worked my way up to a supervisor position that increased my wages and ensured that I no longer had to pay non-refundable monthly union fees.

Recently I was the 15th customer of the first 50 awarded a $10 gift card at a grand opening of a new discount store. With it came a $5 coupon if you spent $25.

Ultimately I paid $13.85 for a hair trimmer and a coffee maker. Coffee maker did not heat up well enough so I took it back and they gave me $13.25 back for coffee maker (They really should have accounted for the discounts I got considering that my purchase was no loner over $25, but they didn't).

All said and done I ultimately I paid 60 cents for a brand new hair trimmer, and the receipt had a survey on in to reward you $3 off of your next $15 purchase, but it's not likely that I'll presently need anything, but if I do then it's always an option.

- I get 100 reward points for every prescription filled at Walgreens. I only purchase two toiletry items every once in a blue moon from Walgreens, and by the time I need to I can get them free with my rewards points.

No matter the store, if they have a discount rack, I'm checking it out.

- I never pay more the 50 cents to a $1 for a greeting card at the Dollar Tree, and so damn what if they're not some deluxe thick card that the recipient will look at for all of 15 seconds before it gets tossed in the can, or stuffed in a drawer. It's the thought that counts, right ?

- I attend numerous very lively free outdoor and indoor concerts, or in-record store or WNKU in-studio performances being mindful to stay aware of what very decent touring acts are coming to town.

- I attend numerous free University of Cincinnati (CCM) performing arts types shows (musicals, plays, dance etc...) performed by budding young extremely talented future stars who are attending one of the best performing arts schools in the country.

-I no longer attend big arena or Riverbend type events because if they're good artists, I've already seen them for free, or under $15 on their way to stardom by keeping an eye on them early in their career when they've played small clubs for nothing, or next to nothing while having easy access to them to shake their hand and have a beer with them. In the past some bands have even crashed at my pad.

- Once in a blue moon I'll attend a Reds game, and if I do I buy the cheapest seat in the house w/ a stunning river view, which is only $5 during the week, and maybe $8 on weekends. Honestly for me it's all about the experience of being there, and I certainly don't have to pay an arm and a leg to do it, and for me visually it's even more so interesting to see the entire structure from that vantage point while still being able to watch and enjoy the game.

- I no longer purchase CD's anymore, except for attending 3 or 4 library book sales a year where each CD is a buck, and the selection is amazing.

- I do attend 9th Region Baskeball tournaments at NKU, but will purchase my discount ticket at a participating school.

- My biggest entertainment expense is $5 a pop for the numerous H.S. Basketball games that I attend during the season.

-When I purchase clothing or shoes I have a few discount stores that I have found to be extremely reasonable while also offering very decent choices.

Some will be boastful of how much they will spend or tip, yet I'm not the least bit shy about being boastful regarding how much I don't spend, and how I conduct my life to ensure that I'm not throwing my bucks away when I'm completely capable of doing things all by myself, or IMO have smartly got things figured down to a science.

I'm not the least bit impressed by others who are excited to relay what extreme price that they paid for something, as to me with it they're also giving me a more vivid insight about themselves. If it somehow makes them feel like they've won some sort of competition, then good for them, but I know inside that I've truly won by not being frivolous.

I get that it feels like no big deal if one's income is significant, but I can guarantee this that even if I ever won a huge amount in the lottery, I wouldn't change a thing about how I roll.

For my entire adult life I have lived well below my means when I certainly could have lived well above them, yet I've never been able to find justification for it, and would have considered myself shortsighted for doing so.

I also get that for some it makes them feel good inside if they've made someone else feel good inside by giving them a good tip.

Fair enough...but In the rare occasion that I'm in a situation to tip, then I'll gladly do so, and I certainly understand that for some their income requires it, but I didn't design these various social conventions, and if there's a way around them without offending anyone else, I'll be sure to look for, and often times fine them.

I don't feel the need to be served, and I don't feel the least bit neglected, and I fully enjoy my life, and I have to admit that I fully enjoy it even more when I realize that my good times and good values didn't come at some ridiculous unnecessary expense.

-

Edited by B-Ball-fan

Frugal.Tight.Wad. ...and damn proud of it.

- I only eat where I'm waited on for social reasons, otherwise if I'm alone it's simply just to fuel up, so I keep the costs low, while also as healthy as possible.

When I do on occasion hook up with friends I'll tip 20%, and will pay no more than $3 for 1 beer with dinner. If they charge more than that, I settle for water with lemon, which I typically get along with the beer anyhow.

I'll study the menu and find a dish that it satisfactory to me both in nutritional value and price. I never order appetizers or desserts.

Recently I did frequent by myself a few burger joints during Burger Week just to treat myself at a discount, but this is a once a year luxury that I allow myself.

On the back of every Wendy's receipt (and McDonalds) is a survey that rewards you a buy one get one free Dave's single or chicken sandwich. Though it says you can only do it once every 30 days, every Wendy's I go to will honor it every time (and McDonalds).

I order without the bun, and ask for extra veggies all around with a ranch dressing and eat it like a salad and knife and fork the 2 cheeseburgers, with free water....total $4.02 ... Completely satisfying.

I have a stack of receipts ready to use, and the survey takes me all of a minute to take. Wendy's free extra veggies are a better deal than McDonalds, whereas McD's comes to around $4.25 all said and done for two quarter pounders w/ cheese when using their survey receipt.

On occasion just for a change I'll order a Double Whopper with cheese at BK with no bun, and extra veggies, which they've been very generous in honoring, and it'll come to a total of around $6.50. (Living Large...LOL!)

- On the rare occasion that I stay in a hotel, I will carefully compare prices and find a suitable reasonably priced one that is, safe, comfortable, clean, and adequate enough to fulfill the purpose of sleeping and showering.

- I used to tip my barber $3 for a $13 haircut every 2 months, but recently I've been getting away with cutting my own hair and getting better at it, so if I continue to get decent enough results, I'll just do it myself from now on, and clean it up every 2 or 3 weeks.

- Whereas years ago I used to go through a drive- thru car wash and give the guy giving my car back to me $2 after paying a significant price for the wash, I now simply wash my own car for $1.50 at the Shell station in Latonia.

- I used to give the guy giving my car back to me $2 at the Quicky Lube, but since typically 3 or 4 people tend to my car, and their prices have steadily, slight of hand, increased, I can't justify who exactly deserves it, and I can't justify it anyhow since they've raised their prices.

- In the event I have a flat tire that needs a plug put in, if the guy tends to me right away I'll give him $5 in addition to whatever they charge for the services.

- Subway or Chipolle - nothing - (Since I don't eat bread, rice or corn tortillas anymore, I don't even go to these places)

- I typically don't drink more that 2 or 3 beers when in a bar, and I never run a tab, and for every beer that I buy the bartender gets a buck, and will not purchase a beer over $3. Truly I feel stupid paying even that much when knowing that If I really desired a beer I could buy a 6 or 12 pack for more than 3 times less at the store.

On the rare occasion (but it has happened) that a bartender purposely drags his heels to ensure that I miss the happy hour deadline, he gets nothing along with an ornery look, and no more sales from me afterwards.

- On the rare occasion that I attend an arena or stadium event I will absolutely never purchase a thing from the concessions stand, and no way in hell will I ever buy a ridiculously priced beer.

-When attending a festival in the Mainstrasse area of Covington, I'll walk through taking in the sights and sounds, but if I get hungry I''ll simply walk a block to a fast food joint and get er done.

- I regularly fill a water bottle at home with filtered water before leaving my place.

- I don't eat pizza anymore because I'm avoiding bread, but when I got the hankering for one I'd simply go a few blocks to a nearby Little Caesars and pick up a $5 (now $6) that would be satisfactory enough for my pizza craving.

-At Riverfront Pizza in Covington you have the option of being served by a waiter in the tavern part of the establishment, or simply eat in the dining room area 10 feet away where you pick your food up from the counter yourself. - Bet you can guess which way I operate when I eat there, huh?

- I absolutely never use valet parking, or pay to park for that matter, and wherever I'm going I scout out where I can park for free, and consider the exercise to be good for me if I have to walk a couple of blocks.

I attended the Sweet 16 at Rupp for 10 straight years where I sat in the first row of the upper deck at half court, bought my tickets in advance, and never once paid to park as I had studied the area, and never had to walk more than 5 minutes from where I had parked for free.

On the back of every advance ticket was a buy one get one free at McDonalds, and I stayed in a reasonably priced and clean hotel that offered a free breakfast.

Now I stay home and watch both boys and girls tournaments online for a total of $10 hooking my tablet up to my wide screen TV.

My good memories of attending sustain me, and I'm completely satisfied with the at home convenience, while saving my money. The end result is that I get to see the games which is my primary goal anyhow.

Even in downtown Cincy where meters are in effect until 9:00 I have a pretty good idea of the random free parking spots available and seek them out.

If I do park at a meter it'll be when I can use the free 10-15 minute grace period, and I've been known to pull into a spot at 8:50 and do just that if I'm that close to the 9:00 deadline.

Last week I ate at an Indian Restaurant on York St. in Newport. Meters are in effect until midnight there. Directly trough the intersection just a hair south on same street, street parking is free. I can walk 30 seconds...it won't kill me, or even in the slightest feel like an inconvenience.

-I don't care if it's only a penny, if one is on the sidewalk I will pick it up.

- I use Kroger digital coupons for just about anything that I need if one is available, and I use Kroger fuel points when filling up at the pump.

- I've lived for 24 years in a comfortable one room efficiency in a mansion in a lovely historic neighborhood with off street parking, where for the first 15 years my rent, everything included, was less than what most people pay for their monthly energy bill.

New owner raised rent, but for last 9 years it's still been reasonable in a safe secure building w/ free laundry facilities and a tropical setting in-ground swimming pool, in a safe neighborhood, where for the same price elsewhere I'd be living in a dump, and broken into regularly.

I'm not the least bit embarrassed to admit that I'm extremely thrifty. I was raised by Great Depression era parents who were thrifty as well, and would never foolishly waste one cent.

I attended a tech school in the early 80's for $6 a month that placed me in a decent IT University job where I also had additional free schooling.

Though other co-workers paid monthly parking fees, I never did for the many years that I worked there.

I purposely worked my way up to a supervisor position that increased my wages and ensured that I no longer had to pay non-refundable monthly union fees.

Recently I was the 15th customer of the first 50 awarded a $10 gift card at a grand opening of a new discount store. With it came a $5 coupon if you spent $25.

Ultimately I paid $13.85 for a hair trimmer and a coffee maker. Coffee maker did not heat up well enough so I took it back and they gave me $13.25 back for coffee maker (They really should have accounted for the discounts I got considering that my purchase was no loner over $25, but they didn't).

All said and done I ultimately I paid 60 cents for a brand new hair trimmer, and the receipt had a survey on in to reward you $3 off of your next $15 purchase, but it's not likely that I'll presently need anything, but if I do then it's always an option.

- I get 100 reward points for every prescription filled at Walgreens. I only purchase two toiletry items every once in a blue moon from Walgreens, and by the time I need to I can get them free with my rewards points.

No matter the store, if they have a discount rack, I'm checking it out.

- I never pay more the 50 cents to a $1 for a greeting card at the Dollar Tree, and so damn what if they're not some deluxe thick card that the recipient will look at for all of 15 seconds before it gets tossed in the can, or stuffed in a drawer. It's the thought that counts, right ?

- I attend numerous very lively free outdoor and indoor concerts, or in-record store or WNKU in-studio performances being mindful to stay aware of what very decent touring acts are coming to town.

- I attend numerous free University of Cincinnati (CCM) performing arts types shows (musicals, plays, dance etc...) performed by budding young extremely talented future stars who are attending one of the best performing arts schools in the country.

-I no longer attend big arena or Riverbend type events because if they're good artists, I've already seen them for free, or under $15 on their way to stardom by keeping an eye on them early in their career when they've played small clubs for nothing, or next to nothing while having easy access to them to shake their hand and have a beer with them. In the past some bands have even crashed at my pad.

- Once in a blue moon I'll attend a Reds game, and if I do I buy the cheapest seat in the house w/ a stunning river view, which is only $5 during the week, and maybe $8 on weekends. Honestly for me it's all about the experience of being there, and I certainly don't have to pay an arm and a leg to do it, and for me visually it's even more so interesting to see the entire structure from that vantage point while still being able to watch and enjoy the game.

- I no longer purchase CD's anymore, except for attending 3 or 4 library book sales a year where each CD is a buck, and the selection is amazing.

- I do attend 9th Region Baskeball tournaments at NKU, but will purchase my discount ticket at a participating school.

- My biggest entertainment expense is $5 a pop for the numerous H.S. Basketball games that I attend during the season.

-When I purchase clothing or shoes I have a few discount stores that I have found to be extremely reasonable while also offering very decent choices.

Some will be boastful of how much they will spend or tip, yet I'm not the least bit shy about being boastful regarding how much I don't spend, and how I conduct my life to ensure that I'm not throwing my bucks away when I'm completely capable of doing things all by myself, or IMO have smartly got things figured down to a science.

I'm not the least bit impressed by others who are excited to relay what extreme price that they paid for something, as to me with it they're also giving me a more vivid insight about themselves. If it somehow makes them feel like they've won some sort of competition, then good for them, but I know inside that I've truly won by not being frivolous.

I get that it feels like no big deal if one's income is significant, but I can guarantee this that even if I ever won a huge amount in the lottery, I wouldn't change a thing about how I roll.

For my entire adult life I have lived well below my means when I certainly could have lived well above them, yet I've never been able to find justification for it, and would have considered myself shortsighted for doing so.

I also get that for some it makes them feel good inside if they've made someone else feel good inside by giving them a good tip.

Fair enough...but In the rare occasion that I'm in a situation to tip, then I'll gladly do so, and I certainly understand that for some their income requires it, but I didn't design these various social conventions, and if there's a way around them without offending anyone else, I'll be sure to look for, and often times fine them.

I don't feel the need to be served, and I don't feel the least bit neglected, and I fully enjoy my life, and I have to admit that I fully enjoy it even more when I realize that my good times and good values didn't come at some ridiculous unnecessary expense.

-

Do you do all the activities by yourself, with friend(s) or a partner? I was just curious because I have read all your threads of your concerts,etc but I can't imagine doing them by myself

Do you do all the activities by yourself, with friend(s) or a partner? I was just curious because I have read all your threads of your concerts,etc but I can't imagine doing them by myself

My partner passed away 6 years ago, and whereas we used to frequently eat at various restaurants around 4-5 times a week, since I frequently now eat alone I can't justify the whole big show just to fuel up by myself.

Still I'll hook up with various friends at least once a week for lunch or dinner, so there's an adequate enough balance to enjoy social situations with others.

When I was younger there'd always be others attending concerts with me, but while a lot of them have aged, and have sold their souls to the locks on their doors, I haven't, and often times now attend shows alone, and just mingle with other attendees, who are ordinarily music fanatics too, so there's rarely a shortage of enough people to engage with in interesting conversations.

On occasion I can twist a few arms to get out of their Lazy Boy chairs and come outside, but that will take an artist that they're already familiar with. They're not about to take any chances on someone they've never heard of before, and at the same time they no longer introduce themselves to anything new... so as they get old and dull there's less and less chance of that.

Thankfully one dude that I hang with will trust my judgement on what shows to see and has attended 4 outdoor concerts with me this summer. He's discovering that I'm not lying to him when I talk something up, and whereas initially he wasn't sure if he'd much care, once I got him to certain shows, being blown away by them has made him a believer. He's beginning to catch the show bug and it's a beautiful thing.

A couple of other friends of mine typically join me for movies, musicals, plays etc so it's rare that I would ever attend those events alone, however if they can't attend and I really want to see something, I won't hesitate to go anyhow.

Though I'll certainly say hello to others that I know, I prefer to attend H.S. Basketball games alone to avoid a ton of chatting that will take me out of the flow of the game. With that said I do traditionally attend about 10 games a year with my older brother, so that's certainly cool because we're on the same page of keeping in the zone, and random game commentary doesn't create any distractions, and I do enjoy studying and analyzing the game with him as he was the one who first got me interested in basketball as a kid to begin with, while also being my first coach on my first childhood team.

I keep a balance with doing stuff alone and with others, but I've certainly learned to enjoy my own company. I've lived alone my entire adult life, so you pretty much get used to it to the point it often becomes necessary for one's own sanity. Gotta have an ample amount of me time, that's for sure. Not terribly attracted to the idea of sharing living spaces with others just to take the chance of eventually getting on each others' nerves, but I certainly do dig picking and choosing when the mood hits to hook up with others.

I've been in the biz for 30 years. I tip just about everyone. And if I'm not sure if I should, I do it anyway

Just a note to all you folks who think the prospect of a tip will make a server bust their butts harder....uh....nope. A good server will always treat you right and do their best regardless of what they may anticipate their tip will be. It will appear effortless and you'll never know how challenging it was for them to juggle the demands of several tables. And a bad server will be a bad server regardless of the prospect of a tip. And an inexperienced server is not necessarily a bad server.

I don't live in an area that has pizza delivery, but the last time I did I usually tipped around $5 but never more. I haven't eaten out in a restaurant in probably 4 years, but I usually tipped $5 but never more. I don't play golf. I've only experienced valet parking once and that was at a hospital. Well as far as not tipping, I haven't not tipped since eating at the GOLDEN CORAL in Russell. I went forever without a refill and she was slow about bringing me another stack of plates. I guess she was offended by my sweat towel.