Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tipping Policy

Featured Replies

First of all I am a good tipper. I know how much it means to the servers and others and they deserve to be fairly compensated.

 

That said, my personal opinion is they should do away with tipping in the restaurant industry and raise the pay (and the cost of meals) accordingly. It is too sporadic and puts the wait staff on the hook for many things that out of their control. But that is another debate.

 

As far as tipping goes, I've never really thought the percentage method was a good barometer of how much to tip a server. If I go out to lunch with @spindoc and @LRCW chances are our meals are going to be priced differently. Let's say our total bills are $24, $15 and $9 (because I got the fillet and LRCW just got a small salad). If we each tip 20% and round up to nearest dollar, then those would be $5, $3 and $2

 

If you are our waiter, then you provided the same service to us all so why should our tips be that different?

 

I think a per patron, per hour amount would be more appropriate.

 

For instance, instead of using 15-20% as the accepted amount and basing it on cost, let's assume we had an industry standard suggested tip amount of $4 per patron, per hour.

 

In the above example, if we planted ourselves for 45 minutes at the table, each of us would tip $3 no matter the cost of our meals. If we sat around and chewed the fat for 15 minutes, and tied up the table for an hour, then each of us would tip $4. If the service was exceptionally good (or bad), then we could increase (or decrease) the amount accordingly.

 

I haven't put a lot of thought into this, and it could be adjusted for high cost areas (cost of living in Chicago is much different than Pikeville). But I do think a per patron, per hour amount is more fair than basing tips on cost of food.

 

I disagree with a lot of your theory's on here. I like folks that work for tips, make them bust their butts if they want to earn more money. The kitchen is their responsibility.

Law of averages on those salad versus steak eaters.

If the person is a good waiter, they move up in the industry. Sonic to Applebee's to Ruby's as an example. That increases their income. It should be earned not equal.

 

Side thought. Please be sure to tip your hairdressers extremely well.:whistling:

  • Replies 156
  • Views 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fair point.

 

I suppose it is safe to say that no set of unofficial standards are going to be appropriate for every situation, and every rule will have exceptions. As I said in my very basic idea, adjustments could be made for high cost areas, and that would apply for high end restaurants. If the service includes specialized expertise or advice, then that would be an appropriate situation for additional tipping, no doubt.

 

The issue I was addressing is the question of using a percentage of cost "standard" if you will and exploring the possibility of something more equitable. I'm not sure if my idea is a good one or not.

 

Out of curiosity, do you tip those specialized folks now based on the same 15-20% rule of thumb as other restaurants or do you make an adjustment?

 

I pretty much tip 20-25% everywhere, whether it's The Precint or Hooter's. My last trip to Precinct my wife and I had a $200 bill, and the server got $50 (he was very attentive and knowledgeable). I can't remember the last time I tipped under 20%. And I pretty much tip at least $5, regardless of how small the bill is. I don't start thinking about percentages until my bill is over $25. I almost always over tip, and it would take a true disaster of an experience for me to tip less than 20%. I've only had one really bad experience in a restaurant in the last several years, and it wasn't the servers fault. Bad servers are few and far between, because if they are truly bad, either they won't last long, or if the restaurant allows it, the restaurant won't last long.

Caddies. That's about it. And if you play somewhere with one, you'll be informed of the expected minimum prior to your round if you're new there.

I've never played at a course that had caddies. The only people I tip at golf course is the beer cart person.

I've never played at a course that had caddies. The only people I tip at golf course is the beer cart person.

 

I've used caddies several times around the country, they always get $50 for the loop plus a drink at the turn. However, I have never in any situation tipped a starter. I do tip the beverage cart girl after buying a Gatorade and a cold snicker's, and I always tip the kid that cleans the clubs post-round, but that is the extent at the golf course.

Ok so starters, caddies, beverage cart girls, never seen any of these people when I have ever golf. Why are you guys golfing at Augusta?

I've used caddies several times around the country, they always get $50 for the loop plus a drink at the turn. However, I have never in any situation tipped a starter. I do tip the beverage cart girl after buying a Gatorade and a cold snicker's, and I always tip the kid that cleans the clubs post-round, but that is the extent at the golf course.

 

The starter always seems to accept my tip like it's completely normal:lol2: Honestly, I started doing it because my father in law has always done it when we've played together. I just assumed it was something that should be done. Again, I only do a couple bucks. I feel like it's gotten me a couple earlier starts on the 10th tee instead of waiting in line on the 1st.

The starter always seems to accept my tip like it's completely normal:lol2: Honestly, I started doing it because my father in law has always done it when we've played together. I just assumed it was something that should be done. Again, I only do a couple bucks. I feel like it's gotten me a couple earlier starts on the 10th tee instead of waiting in line on the 1st.

 

Head out to Lassing, I'm sure Coach Ray would happily take a few bucks from you.

Head out to Lassing, I'm sure Coach Ray would happily take a few bucks from you.

 

I've played there and tipped the starter. Don't know Coach Ray, but who ever it was, they gladly took it. In hindsight, I've mostly played with my father in law either at a club where he is a member, or on a resort type course, so the standards in those situations may be a little different than your average public course.

Caddies. That's about it. And if you play somewhere with one, you'll be informed of the expected minimum prior to your round if you're new there.

 

Beer cart girl needs a tip.

I tend to tip well to bartenders and waiters/waitresses. Probably because I make money off tips too.

 

Ive gotten to the point as a beer vendor that I never expect tips and am thankfully for any extra money thrown my way. Even when its just the extra quarter, adds up over a year.

 

Wow. It's crazy that people don't tip you. I'm usually $1 - $2 a beer. Same as if I'm at a bar.

Just curious, what do you all think/do for the walking vendor at ball games?

 

I definitely tip the beer guy; especially if he's entertaining (but even if he's not).

By "lousy" do you mean that they don't bring you your order? I can't envision expecting someone to serve me for free.

 

Attitude, wrong order or screwed up order because they didn't listen, whether or not I get a drink refilled, stopping by and asking if everything is to our satisfaction, etc. (And I do tip generously if warranted)

Restaurants is always 20% at a minimum. Usually more in the 25% range.

 

Typically if the bill is under $10, I'll tip quite a bit more than 20%.

 

We never do pizza delivery, so don't worry about that.

 

Valet is $5.

Wow. It's crazy that people don't tip you. I'm usually $1 - $2 a beer. Same as if I'm at a bar.

 

You'd be surprised how many people don't realize that we accept them.

 

Bengals, FCC, and college games almost everyone tips. Reds games, probably 80% do.

Attitude, wrong order or screwed up order because they didn't listen, whether or not I get a drink refilled, stopping by and asking if everything is to our satisfaction, etc. (And I do tip generously if warranted)

 

Do you experience those problems often? We eat out a fair amount of times, and I can't remember the last time I docked a server on their tip. Maybe I don't expect much, or I'm too nice. But I can't imagine this happening all that often (especially since I almost never have it happen to me), because that server won't last long. At worst, my servers are efficient and pleasant. Whether they stop by my and ask me how everything was is way low on my list of needs. If there's something wrong, I let them know. And I'm probably the wrong guy to determine what a good attitude is, since at best, I'm typically pretty surly myself.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.