Tipping Policy

PP1

I will never not tip a waiter/waitress. However the size of their tip is 100% dependent on their performance. It is a service job and if you are not performing a service why would I reward you. I have bad days at work but I'm still expected to do my job. Yes there are things out of the servers control and that's why I will never hold things like how long it takes for the food to come out against them.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a server for 8 years at Don Pablos and Brio before starting my career. Its not too complicated guys. It's not rocket science. Some people are acting like it is such back breaking and horrid work. The money is good for younger couples and college students.

You write it down, you put it in the computer, you go get it, you pre-bus, you re-fill glasses, you be polite and smile, you drop off their check and cash them out.

You can be trained to do those things in less than a week.

And yet so many cant to it or get it right.

^What in the world does any of that have to do with tipping? :idunno:

Served dining leads to tipping, and I'm questioning some of the possible reasons of this social construct, and, right, wrong, or indifferent, how we came to consider it the common practice that it is.

In England for example, there is no such practice of tipping, and while visiting there I was informed that tipping could be viewed as an insult.

Cliff notes: If you like to go out to eat, it's because you think you're superior to others and feel you deserve to be served and waited on.

Not exactly.

I'm not saying that this is the reason, or even the only reason, but asking if for some if it is, and of others just what is their reason.

Not exactly.

I'm not saying that this is the reason, or even the only reason, but asking if for some if it is, and of others just what is their reason.

I do it because that is how restaurants are designed. And I tip because I am not cheap.

Let me first be clear that I in no way would ever go as far as trying to campaign that our culture do away with the much patronized and popular social construct of table serviced dining, and considering that there are countless restaurants that offer more of a serve yourself alternative, depending on one's preferred style of eating out, people have numerous options regarding what suits them, and can choose accordingly.

Using Riverfront Pizza in Covington as an example, both options are available under the same roof.

- You sit in the tavern part of the restaurant, a waitress will take your order and serve you your food.

-You sit in the dining area of the restaurant, you order from the counter upon arrival, wait to hear your number called, pick up your tray from the counter, and proceed to your table and voila, you start stuffing your pie hole.

By comparison, the folks in the tavern part of the restaurant who are by choice likely also partaking in alcohol consumption, will have an end result of a much larger bill as well as a tip, whereas the dining room patrons will simply pay the established price for the menu items, and nothing more.

Sounds good, everyone is happy, and everyone is aware of the various options available, and selects which one is most suitable to their preference and needs.

There could be various reasons why different folks choose differently...

The dining area people might not be drinking, they might be a family on a budget, and forego the being served option to keep costs at a minimal and reasonable, or like myself I aim not to spend more than I have to, while there's no inconvenience to me at all to take the serve yourself route when IMO for me the ends don't justify the means that I pay more to have someone do for me something so minimal that I can easily do for myself.

The tavern area people might either have little concern for the extra costs, as they might have more disposable cash, and are willing to pay for the convenience...

... or they might be drunk and want to limit staggering around the establishment and chance dropping their tray as a result of their unstableness...

...or perhaps they're of the nature that they just simply enjoy being served as it gives them perhaps a sense of superiority...

... or they could be apart of a large group and it's a more simpler process to ensure that the entire party is not traipsing throughout the restaurant while allowing them to concentrate on their socializing...

...or perhaps they're highly enthralled by a sporting event on the TV and they don't want to miss any of the action by walking momentarily to the counter to pick up their tray...

...or perhaps some folks are taking their elderly parents out to dinner, and it would be much more sensible to be served rather than hassle otherwise...

...or maybe parents are tending to their small or infant children and it would be much more sensible to be served rather than hassle otherwise..

...or maybe being served is just the way some people are used to operating, and wouldn't consider any other way.

As an example of people's preferences, I know a married guy with small children who absolutely refuses to take his family to dinner at Frisch's Big Boy because he has a steadfast rule that he requires alcoholic beverages with his meals.

His own mother, thinking economically considering the costs of raising a family, gifted him Frisch's children's coupon booklets, where he in turn handed them back telling her that she might as well keep them because they would likely go unused.

Everyone of course has their own preferred style, and thankfully various options are available to appease to what one's required style might be.

As is no surprise to anyone, it's no mystery that I personally am more of a do-it-yourself kind of guy while also just being of a thrifty nature, and while it's none of my business and shouldn't be at all of my concern, I can't but help to wonder what makes some folks more inclined to be one that requires being served?

It's not at all uncommon, and while it's most certainly their right, is it because they can't and won't consider any other way, and how exactly did they arrive at this need and desire to be tended to by others?

Sure it might be presumptuous of me to say, but do some folks have some sort of prince or princess complex that is unbeknownst to them considering it's all they've ever known, or have some folks battled their way out of a less fortunate past, and they're now rewarding themselves for their accomplishments, and being served offers to them a symbolic sense that they have finally arrived, or for some is it simply just what they're comfortable and familiar with that nothing about it in the least seams at all worthy of questioning?

I certainly realize that these last comments will not be at all popular, while also being considered ridiculous overkill assessments of something that our society largely throughout "some" parts of the world, views as common everyday and ordinary practices, however just for kicks I'm proposing that we step back momentarily from that which we just simply take for granted as common, and ask ourselves why being served is something that we are inclined to desire and require?

As I had stated in my first sentence, this in no way is a campaign to do away with serviced dining (and other such services), and I certainly fully comprehend that my mere questioning, though bizarre and unusual for some I'm sure, will have absolutely zero effect or impact on anyone here, or throughout society conducting themselves any differently than they already do.

But still, what the hell, I'll ask anyhow... and with it I'll also anticipate dislikes and commentary that suggests that I'm goofy and out of my head, which will not at all offend me because I completely expect it while understanding that since no one has ever been questioned about this before, it just seems downright ridiculous that I would ask.

Others, and I can't say that I blame them either, will not read this at all deeming it to be endless nonsense and a complete waste of their time, which you'll receive absolutely no argument from me regarding that. :lol2:

Are you not being "tended to" by those who have to cook the food you eat when you order carry out? What about the maids that make up the rooms you sleep in during your infrequent hotel stays? Or do you change those linens yourself before you leave?

Served dining leads to tipping, and I'm questioning some of the possible reasons of this social construct, and, right, wrong, or indifferent, how we came to consider it the common practice that it is.

In England for example, there is no such practice of tipping, and while visiting there I was informed that tipping could be viewed as an insult.

The same is true in Japan. And, I have to say, the best service I have ever gotten while out to eat or drink has been in Japan. I just got back from another visit as a matter of fact, and it was the same as previous visits. Awesome service everyplace we went. In fact, several times you see them actually jogging to get things done for you.

Now, back here at home, I always TIP. I know what it is like in the Service Industry, and appreciate what folks do for me. Heck, I even tip my auto mechanic as he always gets me to the front of the line and gets things done quicker than expected.

For those that say that tipping someone does not increase the service you get, I agree to an extent, however I can tell you that as one who has delivered many pizzas in my day, we know who tips, who does not, and who tips best. It definitely has an impact on how quickly one gets their food. For pizza's guys and gals we know who we actually lose money taking their food to. No one wants to lose money so often times their food may sit for a bit before someone will take it.

Not exactly.

I eat out more then the average person for sure. A lot of it is work related, a lot of it is because I enjoy good food and drink. A lot of that can't be replicated at home. The wife enjoys that someone else is cooking and cleaning up afterwards. I also eat fast food which is tyoically non tipping situations. Since I do experience a lot of different levels of service, I have a pretty good level of expectations for the server and staff. Therefore I tip according to the service I receive. Most of the time I'm satisfied with the service. Rarely am I not. I love when a server admits he forgot. I'm cool with that. Own up to it and stop blaming others.

Cliff notes: If you like to go out to eat, it's because you think you're superior to others and feel you deserve to be served and waited on.

To expand just a bit on this idea of superiority, there is a fantastic exquisite 4 story mansion at the corner of 4th & Broadway in downtown Cincinnati called the University Club where the patrons are by and large extremely wealthy white folks.

Though not widely known, from its inception many years ago, and still today the entire service staff of this establishment is 100% African American.

While it is true that this place offers people decent jobs where they are no doubt compensated handsomely for their services, and could be viewed as commendable for ensuring good employment for people of color, the underlying premise for this particular setup has all along been to establish an atmosphere of rich white folks being served completely by black employees.

Sure, this is not what we'd typically see within the general public, yet I think that it does magnify the premise that most don't even recognize considering that it's such a common practice, that the origins of being served are rooted in customs designed by the fortunate to be serviced by the less fortunate.

I eat out more then the average person for sure. A lot of it is work related, a lot of it is because I enjoy good food and drink. A lot of that can't be replicated at home. The wife enjoys that someone else is cooking and cleaning up afterwards. I also eat fast food which is tyoically non tipping situations. Since I do experience a lot of different levels of service, I have a pretty good level of expectations for the server and staff. Therefore I tip according to the service I receive. Most of the time I'm satisfied with the service. Rarely am I not. I love when a server admits he forgot. I'm cool with that. Own up to it and stop blaming others.

The bolded reminds me of a time a handful of years back when my co-workers and I went to Keystone for lunch down in Covington. We placed our order and after 35-40 minutes our food still had not yet arrived. When the server came around, we asked him to go check on it since we had to be getting back to work shortly. He returned a few minutes later apologizing profusely as he explained that he had put it into the computer, but to forgot to submit the order, so it was never sent to the kitchen. He told us that if we wanted to stay, he was covering our meal for us. We stayed, he covered our bill, and he ended up making about 25-30% of the entire tables order in tips. He was sincere, he was apologetic, he admitted his screw up, and he was rewarded with a pretty decent tip. Of course, all of that probably went to cover our bill that he was on the hook for, but at least it helped lower the burden on him.

To expand just a bit on this idea of superiority, there is a fantastic exquisite 4 story mansion at the corner of 4th & Broadway in downtown Cincinnati called the University Club where the patrons are by and large extremely wealthy white folks.

Though not widely known, from its inception many years ago, and still today the entire service staff of this establishment is 100% African American.

While it is true that this place offers people decent jobs where they are no doubt compensated handsomely for their services, and could be viewed as commendable for ensuring good employment for people of color, the underlying premise for this particular setup has all along been to establish an atmosphere of rich white folks being served completely by black employees.

Sure, this is not what we'd typically see within the general public, yet I think that it does magnify the premise that most don't even recognize considering that it's such a common practice, that the origins of being served are rooted in customs designed by the fortunate to be serviced by the less fortunate.

Why are you turning this into a race thread? I knew this is where you were headed.

My wife and I rarely eat out anymore. Shoot, it's been a good 3-4 months since we last did I'd venture. When we did, it wasn't because we wanted to be waited on or served, it wasn't because we felt superior to anyone else, it was because we were in the mood for certain foods that we can't replicate at home and wanted a night off from cooking ourselves.

I'm in pretty big disbelief at the direction this thread has been hijacked to.