Tipping Policy

PP1

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually slip the starter a couple bucks. The concession girl gets a buck or two, especially if she comes around often. I also will slip the cart guy a $5 IF he unloads and cleans my clubs. I tend to only see these things at resort type courses....rarely see these amenities at my local tracks. I've only played golf once with a caddy.

I've heard of people doing this before. Just curious, why?

Edit... Saw your followup. :thumb:

It takes some serious nonsense.....for Mrs. C1 and I to not tip 20%.

We grew up in the service industry and place high value on the "do unto others" concept. Every know and then we will tip 30% for extraordinary service that contributed to an even better dining experience! :thumb:

Edited by MentschTrachtGottLacht
WFV

It takes some serious nonsense.....for Mrs. C1 and I to not tip 20%.

We grew up in the service industry and place high value on the "do unto others" concept. Every know and then we will tip 30% for extraordinary service that contributed to an even better dining experience! :thumb:

Agreed. You could dump food in my lap, and as long as you said sorry, and helped make it right, you're still getting a tip. Accidents, and mistakes happen. No other occupation that works so hard, gets punished and nickel and dimed so harshly on a daily basis for simple mistakes and misunderstandings than servers.

I've used caddies several times around the country, they always get $50 for the loop plus a drink at the turn. However, I have never in any situation tipped a starter. I do tip the beverage cart girl after buying a Gatorade and a cold snicker's, and I always tip the kid that cleans the clubs post-round, but that is the extent at the golf course.

Same here. but I have Never heard of tipping a starter.

I'd rather not have a person wipe down my clubs. Pure money grab to me. But if they do, they get at least a $5. If they blow air to clean off my shoes than give a quick hit of air in my shoes they get a $10.00

Do you experience those problems often? We eat out a fair amount of times, and I can't remember the last time I docked a server on their tip. Maybe I don't expect much, or I'm too nice. But I can't imagine this happening all that often (especially since I almost never have it happen to me), because that server won't last long. At worst, my servers are efficient and pleasant. Whether they stop by my and ask me how everything was is way low on my list of needs. If there's something wrong, I let them know. And I'm probably the wrong guy to determine what a good attitude is, since at best, I'm typically pretty surly myself.

Like I noted in my earlier post, it's not often I encounter bad service, but when I do I'm likely not tipping or tipping as much as I would have.

Edited by OlDog75

I thought that you said that you didn't tip people at all if they give lousy service. I apologize if that's not what you said.

Yes, if I get really lousy service, which I posted doesn't happen that often, I'm probably not tipping.