Tipping Policy

PP1

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an unorthodox way of figuring the tip when we're at a restaurant. I'll take the tax amount, multiply it by 3, then add whatever change is needed to make my entire bill an even dollar amount. Since I'm usually paying with my credit/debit card, it makes balancing at the end of the month a whole lot easier.

Folks in certain cities must really like you. Chicago tax rate is around 10%. Tenn. is not cheap either.

I guess im a scrooge when it comes to tipping. If i am paying for a service, im not tipping extra just because. Like furniture delivery and such. If they do something extra then maybe.

We dont order pizza delivery so no tip there.

Dont eat out at server type resturants much anymore but I normally start at 10% and the serverer earns what they get from there. If they are attentive, pay attention, get things right it goes up, they dont it goes down.

I have an unorthodox way of figuring the tip when we're at a restaurant. I'll take the tax amount, multiply it by 3, then add whatever change is needed to make my entire bill an even dollar amount. Since I'm usually paying with my credit/debit card, it makes balancing at the end of the month a whole lot easier.

I don't know that that's unorthodox, but it does mean you'll tip different amounts in places with different tax if you travel a bunch. I kind of do the same thing, except I round the amount of the bill up (not including tax) to the closest multiple of 5 (i.e. $53.75 gets rounded up to $55). Double that number and move the decimal left one place. So for my example above, I'd leave a tip of $11 (55x2=110, move the decimal left=$11). This way you'll always tip a little over 20%, and you'll still have whole numbers to balance your books (which who really still does that with electronic banking/financial programs/apps that do it for you?).

Pizza delivery is always five bucks, regardless of the order.

Reataurants is almost always 20%, with the possibility to go up. They would have to be exceptionally horrible for me to tip any less.

Valets $5 when I have it on me.

Those are the only situations I frequent that I would tip.

I tip what I want. If waitress/waiter service was lousy you get nothing from me although I will say it's not very often. And if I do get lousy service, I usually give the place ONE more shot, that is all.

By "lousy" do you mean that they don't bring you your order? I can't envision expecting someone to serve me for free.

This is the one I struggle with. I'm never sure what, how much, or if I should tip on a carryout order that I pick up myself.

Carry out is no tip because they aren't providing a service beyond cooking your food and aren't getting paid server's wages. Curbside pick up might be different. I need to think more on that one.