Players leaving Covington Holy Cross

How do the KHSAA rules work?

Houston started last year for HC and was one of their top scorers. Can he just move to another school in the same region if his parents happen to live in the school district?

If so, I guess the ability to move a player from a private to a public school is a big loophole in the system.

Theoretically, could divorced parents start their athlete in a private school and move him to another school his junior year and another school his senior year if the parents live in different school districts without any penalty?

As long as there are legit addresses and it makes sense I don't see why not.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does a "closed school system" have to do with move ins/transfers?

In theory, Boone County does not allow out of district students into their schools. Furthermore, in theory students are not allowed to even go to a school in Boone County other than the district they live in. For example, if a student lives in Ryle's district, they are not allowed to attend Cooper or any other Boone County school. That is what I mean by a closed system.

Thus, if these players live in the Cooper district, no problem. If they live in Ryle's district, they are not supposed to be allowed to attend Cooper. Those are Boone County's rules. Although, in recent years it seems their rules have about the same value as the KHSAA transfer rules.

Houston started last year for HC and was one of their top scorers. Can he just move to another school in the same region if his parents happen to live in the school district?

If so, I guess the ability to move a player from a private to a public school is a big loophole in the system.

Theoretically, could divorced parents start their athlete in a private school and move him to another school his junior year and another school his senior year if the parents live in different school districts without any penalty?

I work with his dad, they bought a house in the Cooper school district, no Private to Public loophole.

Depends on the day, the school, the sport.....but if you happen to ever find out how it actually does work, please, let us know.....

Cooper will see an infusion of talent to go with an already strong core.

Exactly. Success of a program will in fact attract talent. As long as these players have addresses in the Cooper district there is not going to be problem with eligibility whether they previously played varsity or not. Coach Sullivan and Coach Borchers (AD) will always do things by the book not too mention the influx of new housing being constructed in the Cooper district is blowing up big-time. If you haven't taken a ride down Longbranch or Camp Ernst lately go check it out.

Cooper is going to be highly competitive for a while especially in basketball and football won't be far behind. JMO.

Exactly. Success of a program will in fact attract talent. As long as these players have addresses in the Cooper district there is not going to be problem with eligibility whether they previously played varsity or not. Coach Sullivan and Coach Borchers (AD) will always do things by the book not too mention the influx of new housing being constructed in the Cooper district is blowing up big-time. If you haven't taken a ride down Longbranch or Camp Ernst lately go check it out.

Cooper is going to be highly competitive for a while especially in basketball and football won't be far behind. JMO.

You could not pay me enough to drive out Long Branch Road. I am still amazed that they built a school on that road