Golf Scramble Question

frankdracman23

Your foursome is better than mine, but the rationale is the same -- if we shoot -5 every day, minimum, we are -20. We obviously aren't going to shoot the -14 to -19 we do in regular scrambles, but we should be able to get around comfortably under par. 4 good players into Par 3's is a big advantage.

Honestly, I think this would be a really cool idea for the PGA Tour, and I think it would be compelling on TV on Sunday. Maybe set a requirement that the group have at least a combined 20 Hdcp, to ensure you don't have 4 scratch guys come blitz the place.

Exactly. Sometimes our club will have a scramble where you sign up as an individual instead of a group and then they sort you based on handicap as A,B,C,D. With this format the usual winning score is ~10 under. On a tour course I think we would shoot a couple under everyday, but probably not win.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your foursome is better than mine, but the rationale is the same -- if we shoot -5 every day, minimum, we are -20. We obviously aren't going to shoot the -14 to -19 we do in regular scrambles, but we should be able to get around comfortably under par. 4 good players into Par 3's is a big advantage.

Honestly, I think this would be a really cool idea for the PGA Tour, and I think it would be compelling on TV on Sunday. Maybe set a requirement that the group have at least a combined 20 Hdcp, to ensure you don't have 4 scratch guys come blitz the place.

Agree with all of this. If I could cherry pick my best golfer friends I'd be the worst one and I'm about 5-10 depending on the day. We could easily be under par, from the tips, on a PGA Tour setup. Me being the worst golfer, I'm probably the longest hitter of the 4 I'm thinking. Distance wouldn't be an issue with us. I'm consistently 290-330 off the tee, given certain conditions. 5 iron 240 ish. 9 iron 150-160. 3 wood 280 consistently. I'm longer than any of my friends, but they're not that far behind. Putting would be the biggest issue, but even that, I feel like I'm a better putter on really slick greens. I can read and square up my putts far better than I can accurately judge distance. I think we could consistently be 5 under, as you mentioned before which would put us right there at just about every PGA event.

The 220+ par 3's would be the biggest issue. But even that, we could scramble for par regularly. And definitely birdie all Par 5's.

Possible to make the cut. I would be useless.

Drive 210 yds (Couldn't clear some hazards in front of me off the tee)

7 iron 135 yds (could reach most greens or proximity consistently under 160, some spin but not enough to hold many greens)

Chipping ( little spin would need practice to get close, but is my strength since I do it a lot when I play)

Putting - I probably have never played pro speed on a green. I do like fast greens, though.

My length would be a real liability. Working the ball or shaping shots is not an option.

I probably could find three others friends that could help, not sure it is as easy as some think or some are as good as they think. Handicaps are not that accurate unless you play the courses the pros play. A single digit on a quality public or private course set up for regular Joe's is not a single digit for the pro set up courses.

I played Cherry Blossom in Georgetown 2-3 weeks before the Hooters tour was coming 5-6 years ago. they were letting the rough grow. I did not find half of the balls that went there and when I did, it was difficult just to get it into the closest fairway, advancing it was beyond my ability. Ball in hand would help, but it would have sunk every time at Cherry Blossom that day.

I carry an 18 with most of my scores at Woodson Bend. I stand no chance on a pro set up course.

I carry an 18 with most of my scores at Woodson Bend. I stand no chance on a pro set up course.

I'm going to make it a point to get down there later this year or for sure next spring. I played the course when I was a teenager, but haven't had the chance as an adult.

Well, only having played once in the past decade or so, I suck, so our foursome would be handicapped out of the gate. However, for the rest of you, I think if you've got legitimate single digit handicap golfers in your group (even if it's based on public courses), I think you're selling yourself short if you don't think you'd at least compete.

I know that everyone's talking about the greens and how much more difficult they'd be. But, if you've got four guys who are serious about it and paying attention...I'm giving the 3rd and 4th guys some serious chances of ramming more than a few home after seeing the line a couple of times. If you can make it to the green in regulation, you've got a distinct advantage over the pros, IMO.

And people have laughed at ME for a sports related answer I have given about what I could have done in a sport given certain parameters.:lol2:

I doubt very seriously anyone's team here is making the cut, much less winning. And finishing last is probably a much more plausible outcome than even making the cut.

Heck, I just played in a big tournament last weekend at my home course, biggest one of the year...every good local golfer was there, some very low handicap guys. There was still plenty of bad shots hit by good golfers, on an easy course, WITH THE ABILITY TO ROLL YOUR BALL A SCORECARD LENGTH EVERYWHERE BUT IN A BUNKER to get the best lie available.

Thousands of fans lining the the tee box...greens faster than you have probably even imagined...pin placements that would drive you crazy. Rough deeper,thicker and more consistent than probably most have ever experienced. Narrow fairways. And I am going to assume the shot that is picked to play must be played down by that golfer, which is something most guys that I know at least don't do, they roll everything. And I bet most others do too.

Sorry guys, it aint happening. If your team made the cut that would be a HUGE accomplishment.

And people have laughed at ME for a sports related answer I have given about what I could have done in a sport given certain parameters.:lol2:

I doubt very seriously anyone's team here is making the cut, much less winning. And finishing last is probably a much more plausible outcome than even making the cut.

Heck, I just played in a big tournament last weekend at my home course, biggest one of the year...every good local golfer was there, some very low handicap guys. There was still plenty of bad shots hit by good golfers, on an easy course, WITH THE ABILITY TO ROLL YOUR BALL A SCORECARD LENGTH EVERYWHERE BUT IN A BUNKER to get the best lie available.

Thousands of fans lining the the tee box...greens faster than you have probably even imagined...pin placements that would drive you crazy. Rough deeper,thicker and more consistent than probably most have ever experienced. Narrow fairways. And I am going to assume the shot that is picked to play must be played down by that golfer, which is something most guys that I know at least don't do, they roll everything. And I bet most others do too.

Sorry guys, it aint happening. If your team made the cut that would be a HUGE accomplishment.

I always score better playing the ball down. I couldn't disagree with you any more.

I always score better playing the ball down. I couldn't disagree with you any more.

Sorry Bench and Doc, but I just don't see it happening. I know good golfers that have played at some of the, what are considered easier tour stop courses and walk away stunned at how hard the course was. Joe Blow 4-some from Brethitt County, or Paducah, or Lawrenceburg just aren't going to compete...they just aren't.