Golf Scramble Question

frankdracman23

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you think the fans would help or hurt the Scramble team? Would they be intimidated on the tee with fans lining the tee box? Would them surrounding the green maybe help the Scramble team? Because even if some player sculls one thru the green hot the worse that can happen is they end up 30 feet behind the green when it hits into the crowd.

How do you think the fans would help or hurt the Scramble team? Would they be intimidated on the tee with fans lining the tee box? Would them surrounding the green maybe help the Scramble team? Because even if some player sculls one thru the green hot the worse that can happen is they end up 30 feet behind the green when it hits into the crowd.
The fans are certainly the X factor here. That's the only thing I would be worried about.

You hit a couple the first few holes, they'll back up!

You all are drastically over valuing the toughness of the standard PGA tour stop course. Most of the courses are not insane. Other than being tipped out they aren't difficult for the most part. There are some stops harder than others, but on average they aren't insane. The thing about a scramble is to make a bogey requires 3 bad shots by all 4 golfers. I just don't see that as a remote possibility for the group I would put together.

Great question. I love hearing the responses in this thread. The mental aspect of playing in front of PGA type crowds would be the only thing that would concern me at all. They may be able to handle the course, but the pressure of playing on national television and thousands of spectators would have a huge effect. I'm giving the nod to my foursome, but we may be jelly legs for awhile!

Agree with all of this. If I could cherry pick my best golfer friends I'd be the worst one and I'm about 5-10 depending on the day. We could easily be under par, from the tips, on a PGA Tour setup. Me being the worst golfer, I'm probably the longest hitter of the 4 I'm thinking. Distance wouldn't be an issue with us. I'm consistently 290-330 off the tee, given certain conditions. 5 iron 240 ish. 9 iron 150-160. 3 wood 280 consistently. I'm longer than any of my friends, but they're not that far behind. Putting would be the biggest issue, but even that, I feel like I'm a better putter on really slick greens. I can read and square up my putts far better than I can accurately judge distance. I think we could consistently be 5 under, as you mentioned before which would put us right there at just about every PGA event.

The 220+ par 3's would be the biggest issue. But even that, we could scramble for par regularly. And definitely birdie all Par 5's.

Your 3 wood is 280 and your 5 iron is 240? That's long. What is your handicap?

You all are drastically over valuing the toughness of the standard PGA tour stop course. Most of the courses are not insane. Other than being tipped out they aren't difficult for the most part. There are some stops harder than others, but on average they aren't insane. The thing about a scramble is to make a bogey requires 3 bad shots by all 4 golfers. I just don't see that as a remote possibility for the group I would put together.

I agree with this. I believe any team of four under 5 handicap golfers would have at least one ball to play from in every fairway and would not be in a single bunker. The rough would be a non factor.