Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Golf Scramble Question

Featured Replies

So how well could you and 3 hand-picked friends (the best golfers you actually know not pro golfers) do if your 4 man scramble team were allowed to entered a PGA event as a team? (For the Ladies a 4 woman team and enter an LPGA event)

 

So your 4 man scramble team playing for one score against the best golfers in a PGA event?

 

Do you think you could put together a team that could shoot Par? Would the 4 of you still stink despite getting 4 chances on every shot?

 

Remember it would be a PGA tourney course with fans and perfect tees and greens.....and real rough.

 

How would you do?

  • Replies 124
  • Views 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It takes at least 16 under or better to win unflighted scrambles on good courses (like U-club in Lexington). Tees are usually mid-length. So accounting for from-the-tips and faster greens lets cut that in half. 8 under per round. That would put the team at 32 under and should win most PGA events.

 

Best I ever did was 58 in a scramble and that was not 4 As but more like an A, A-, C, D. We still were not in the money....

I think we could make the cut. The putting and rough would be a game changer. Also you don't have 120 yards to the pin on approach shots at PGA length so your scoring would drop dramatically. If you have never tried to putt on a green that was setup for the pros you just can't even understand how fast some of them can be. You would need 3 if not it all 4 guys as single handicaps to make the cut IMO.

Well with the scramble being on the tour we will finally get honest scorecards from an outing.

I believe I could put together a foursome from my golf club (out of 60 members) that would beat any golfer on the tour playing a 4 man scramble ball against their one ball. One played for WKU and the others for Morehead State.

So if I could do that from my small club I believe that there's members on here that could put together even stronger teams, especially the members from the big membership clubs in Louisville and Lexington.

Tour greens are unbelievably hard and fast. Not just to putt, but to get anything close you've got to have high spin. I played in a senior tour pro am about 20 years ago. The company I worked for was a sponsor and I won an company outing for the spot. I was a single digit and played in a group with Chi Chi Rodriguez (who is one of the coolest guys I've ever met). I had no issues getting on the green but was left with a lot of long putts, and 3 putted a bunch. In a group with 3 other single digit guys I think could shoot a few under...someone would get it close enough for the group to pick up a few birdies. You'd be lucky to make the cut, and if you did, you're not cashing a big check. Remember, even single digit guys make more bogeys than birdies. With longer holes, and tougher, faster greens, those single digit guys are all going to be a few strokes worse.

I could put together a team that could compete.

My weekend foursome group are all 7 and lower handicaps, and I can't imagine we wouldn't be top 5...at least. Putting our hand on the ball in the rough would be huge.

As long as we are allowed to bring the foot wedge that usually gets used, we'd compete.

 

We play in scramble for the beers and laughs. Nothing better than some jumbo sized marshmellows waiting for those who follow you.

This is a great question. I just texted it to my weekend group, I will post their replies too. We have one guy who hits a 7 iron from 150, so he would be the one most impacted by the length.

 

Awesome question.

I know this may sound a little arrogant, but the 3 best golfers I actually play with and I would probably win a PGA tour event going away if we played a scramble. I'm the worst golfer of the group and my handicap fluctuates from 0-3 depending on the year. The others are + handicaps. I don't see anyway we wouldn't shoot at least 65 or better every round. -28 wins every tour event on the schedule hands down.

I know this may sound a little arrogant, but the 3 best golfers I actually play with and I would probably win a PGA tour event going away if we played a scramble. I'm the worst golfer of the group and my handicap fluctuates from 0-3 depending on the year. The others are + handicaps. I don't see anyway we wouldn't shoot at least 65 or better every round. -28 wins every tour event on the schedule hands down.

 

Your foursome is better than mine, but the rationale is the same -- if we shoot -5 every day, minimum, we are -20. We obviously aren't going to shoot the -14 to -19 we do in regular scrambles, but we should be able to get around comfortably under par. 4 good players into Par 3's is a big advantage.

 

Honestly, I think this would be a really cool idea for the PGA Tour, and I think it would be compelling on TV on Sunday. Maybe set a requirement that the group have at least a combined 20 Hdcp, to ensure you don't have 4 scratch guys come blitz the place.

I think right out of the gate everyone's sphincter would be so tight the cup would be the size of the golf ball. The rough would look like the rain forest and the tees would be so far back, at some of your ages you couldn't see the fairway.

 

But after a couple of rounds I think maybe you could swing it. I'd have to be very selective on the other 3 in my foursome, cause I'd be little use to them. LOL

Two of the guys I would have in my foursome have played in the south with some of the touring pros before they became touring pros. It was some of those pre-web.Com type tours that was in effect back then. Bubba Watson and Boo Weekly were two of them I recall them mentioning.

One of them lost a junior match play event in Arizona to Charles Howell III on the 20th hole. And he also has won two state am's. So guys like that, even though they're in their upper 30's now, aren't going to be intimidated by any of the courses the pro's play, and certainly not if it's a scramble format vs a single score.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.