Johnny Depp: 'When was the last time an actor assassinated a President?'

The actor was at the Glastonbury Festival in the UK when he made his remarks, which were recorded.

The Secret Service is aware of the comments Depp made about President Donald Trump, Secret Service staff assistant Shawn Holtzclaw told CNN.

"For security reasons, we cannot discuss specifically nor in general terms the means and methods of how we perform our protective responsibilities," according to a statement from the Secret Service.

Depp brought up the topic of President Donald Trump while speaking to the crowd.

"Can we bring Trump here?" he asked.

The UK crowd booed and roared, "No."

"I think he needs help," Depp said, as the crowd laughed.

"This is going to be in the press, and it will be horrible," he said. He paused briefly and said, "But I like that you're all a part of it."

"When was the last time an actor assassinated a President?" he asked.

It appeared to be a reference to John Wilkes Booth, the actor who assassinated President Abraham Lincoln in 1865.

After posing the question, Depp said, "I want to clarify. I'm not an actor."

The crowd laughed.

"I lie for a living," he said.

Again, I see nothing has been learned. This is getting out of control, but I'm sure plenty of people will just blow this off.

Edited by Run To State

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny Depp on Donald Trump: Crime or free speech?

Under the United States Code (Title 18, Section 871), threatening the US president is a class E felony. Anyone who "knowingly and wilfully" makes "any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm" upon the US president could be sentenced to up five years and/or be fined. It also includes the vice-president and presidential candidates.

The US Secret Service is the agency tasked with investigating suspected cases. And ABC News reported that the service was aware of the actor's comments.

But, when it comes to statements made by artists, courts have usually declared the cases to be protected speech under the First Amendment to the US Constitution.

Stanford University Law Professor Nathaniel Persily told USA Today newspaper: "People are allowed to wish the president dead," up to the point they express a real intent to harm him. "To threaten someone you need words that encourage some sort of action."

The actor was at the Glastonbury Festival in the UK when he made his remarks, which were recorded.

The Secret Service is aware of the comments Depp made about President Donald Trump, Secret Service staff assistant Shawn Holtzclaw told CNN.

"For security reasons, we cannot discuss specifically nor in general terms the means and methods of how we perform our protective responsibilities," according to a statement from the Secret Service.

Depp brought up the topic of President Donald Trump while speaking to the crowd.

"Can we bring Trump here?" he asked.

The UK crowd booed and roared, "No."

"I think he needs help," Depp said, as the crowd laughed.

"This is going to be in the press, and it will be horrible," he said. He paused briefly and said, "But I like that you're all a part of it."

"When was the last time an actor assassinated a President?" he asked.

It appeared to be a reference to John Wilkes Booth, the actor who assassinated President Abraham Lincoln in 1865.

After posing the question, Depp said, "I want to clarify. I'm not an actor."

The crowd laughed.

"I lie for a living," he said.

Again, I see noting has been learned. This is getting out of control, but I'm sure plenty of people will just blow this off.

Those who live in glass houses.

Johnny Depp on Donald Trump: Crime or free speech?

Under the United States Code (Title 18, Section 871), threatening the US president is a class E felony. Anyone who "knowingly and wilfully" makes "any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm" upon the US president could be sentenced to up five years and/or be fined. It also includes the vice-president and presidential candidates.

The US Secret Service is the agency tasked with investigating suspected cases. And ABC News reported that the service was aware of the actor's comments.

But, when it comes to statements made by artists, courts have usually declared the cases to be protected speech under the First Amendment to the US Constitution.

Stanford University Law Professor Nathaniel Persily told USA Today newspaper: "People are allowed to wish the president dead," up to the point they express a real intent to harm him. "To threaten someone you need words that encourage some sort of action."

I think his words meet the standard of the bolded....He said something to the extent of "I'm just saying....Maybe it's time" after what is in the article.

Those who live in glass houses.

Agreed! He also commented "I think he needs help and there are a lot of wonderful dark, dark places he could go". It appears Depp could use some help and is already in a dark, dark but not so wonderful place.

I think his words meet the standard of the bolded....He said something to the extent of "I'm just saying....Maybe it's time" after what is in the article.

Seems that way to me as well, but if I were a betting man I'd bet nothing gets done about it.

I have to ask, is it the "cool thing" in Hollywood to hate the President? surely not everyone who is on TV or in the movies truly hates the President? Seriously think about it. The President is only racist, sexist, xenaphobic etc because his competition said so on their campaign trail. If this was our last President being talked about this way, our country would explode. So zero TV/Movie personalities had an issue with President Trump prior to November 8th 2016?

I have to ask, is it the "cool thing" in Hollywood to hate the President? surely not everyone who is on TV or in the movies truly hates the President? Seriously think about it. The President is only racist, sexist, xenaphobic etc because his competition said so on their campaign trail. If this was our last President being talked about this way, our country would explode. So zero TV/Movie personalities had an issue with President Trump prior to November 8th 2016?

With the Hollywood Elite, it's all about what letter is behind the President's name as in ®.

I think there are probably several Republicans and/or those that agree with many things Trump may want to put in place. You just don't hear from them because it could affect their career. Sad it's like that, but I but there's a lot of truth in that.

Not the worst thing Depp has done the past year. He beat up his wife Amber Heard last year.

I thought Disney would be done with him; it's a guarantee now.

I'll be shocked if Disney cuts him loose, unless they had already made the decision to end the Pirate movies prior to this.