Warriors 113 Cavaliers 90 (Game 1)

The "LeBron needs more help" take is amusing, and I admit that it got really old hearing that, but it feels really misplaced in this context. Did the Warriors not go out and get one of the five best players in the NBA (SI had him #2 entering the year) in the offseason and add him to a team that lost none of its major contributors (Harrison Barnes was their best departing player) from a team that set the NBA record for wins in a year? A team that Cleveland somewhat miraculously beat last year? Is this not what we expected would happen when the Warriors got their hands on Cleveland?

I personally expected this series to go five. I'm not certain it will now, but the "LeBron needs help" take is played out. He spent his initial years in Cleveland trying to lift a team of absolute nobodies to a title, which is where the phrase came from. NO ONE wins with no one around them, not even MJ. Kobe didn't win a single title without a dominant big alongside him. Shaq's only title without Kobe came via one of the most dominating finals performances ever in DWade.

Steph Curry needed help - he got it. LeBron needed something comparable to match (which didn't exist given Durant's stature) - he didn't get it. And here we are.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "LeBron needs more help" take is amusing, and I admit that it got really old hearing that, but it feels really misplaced in this context. Did the Warriors not go out and get one of the five best players in the NBA (SI had him #2 entering the year) in the offseason and add him to a team that lost none of its major contributors (Harrison Barnes was their best departing player) from a team that set the NBA record for wins in a year? A team that Cleveland somewhat miraculously beat last year? Is this not what we expected would happen when the Warriors got their hands on Cleveland?

I personally expected this series to go five. I'm not certain it will now, but the "LeBron needs help" take is played out. He spent his initial years in Cleveland trying to lift a team of absolute nobodies to a title, which is where the phrase came from. NO ONE wins with no one around them, not even MJ. Kobe didn't win a single title without a dominant big alongside him. Shaq's only title without Kobe came via one of the most dominating finals performances ever in DWade.

Steph Curry needed help - he got it. LeBron needed something comparable to match (which didn't exist given Durant's stature) - he didn't get it. And here we are.

Steph Curry maybe needed help. The Warriors were basically one minute away from winning it all last year. They did amazing when Durant was hurt this year and even won 13 straight. Even without Durant, the Warriors would have still had a great chance to win it all just with a healthy Curry this year.

Adding Durant was not help they had to have, but it did make them nearly impossible to beat now.

Cleveland can't stop the Warriors offense. However the Cavs offense is able to play much better. Plus we all seen the Cavs have the ability to go NBA jam on fire from the outside as a whole team. The Cavs will have to do that for 4 games to win it all. However offensively they have shown they are capable. They also need a few breaks a long the way. I believe last year's series would have been over in 5 games too if Green didn't get himself suspended.

If Golden State doesn't turn the ball over, Cleveland can't win. They aren't good enough defensively without help from GS.

THIS!!! Warriors had, what, 4 TO's? I think Cleveland had 20 TO's and the W's converted those into 21 pts. Cavs have no chance unless they turn the Warriors over.

It will to those that know the NBA IMO.

Nah. The LeBron fans already use the excuse that he played better teams in the Finals than MJ. They'll now say the Warriors were the greatest team ever and he shouldn't be expected to beat them. They've been practicing that line for over a week now. :lol2:

My thoughts on game one...

-Cleveland gave up waaaaay too many second chances, especially early in the game.

-Warriors ran their offense until they hit an open guy, did little isolation. Warriors did a great job drawing defenders and dropping the ball off for easy baskets to someone else.

-Cavs seemed to want to run nothing but isolation (Kyrie and Lebron) and spent too much time in the shot clock getting into what ever offense they were trying to run.