Teen Girls Murdered in Indiana

Jumper_Dad

4 hours ago, Purple88 said:

Judge in Delphi murder case begs for help after sealing court documents (msn.com)

“Not only does the public not get to see important information, but we don’t even know if the case is under seal right now for the defense. He has a right to know what he’s accused of so he can mount a defense and preserve evidence to prove his innocence. You can’t do that if you don’t know what they’re accusing you of.” 

Despite an arrest, the Carroll County prosecutor and Indiana State Police say they want case records to remain sealed to give them additional time to receive additional tips about the case. 

I thought this article spoke to what Randy was speaking of in the quoted above entry.  I didn't understand that when he said it, but I have a better idea of it by reading this article.

I guess the November 22 hearing will be the next key date.

There are some really good podcasts on this right now. Highly recommend True Crime Garage and their latest episode that dropped Monday I believe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BrosefStalin said:

There are some really good podcasts on this right now. Highly recommend True Crime Garage and their latest episode that dropped Monday I believe. 

Yes.  True Crime Garage has covered the case pretty extensively.  You can find all the episodes where they've discussed it. 

17 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

Lack of transparency is the reason I have seen. 

That's ignorant.  The investigation is still active and that would likely introduce evidentiary information before its able to be introduced in court at trial.  Folks need to realize that protecting the integrity of the case and ensuring a conviction is more important than making sure everyone knows every detail of the case, via "transparency" before it goes to trial. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Purple88 said:

He has a right to know what he’s accused of so he can mount a defense and preserve evidence to prove his innocence. You can’t do that if you don’t know what they’re accusing you of.” 

His attorney will have access to everything in plenty of time to build a defense prior to trial. There is no reason for the public to have any info prior to it coming out in open court.

Another reason to not put all the info out in the media prior to trial, is to not taint the jury pool prior to jury selection.  That said, if they have this guy dead to rights it may never go to trial.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

His attorney will have access to everything in plenty of time to build a defense prior to trial. There is no reason for the public to have any info prior to it coming out in open court.

Another reason to not put all the info out in the media prior to trial, is to not taint the jury pool prior to jury selection.  That said, if they have this guy dead to rights it may never go to trial.

Not to mention the speculation of another involved party.  If there is such a person and they've been identified.  It's likely within that affidavit. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Delphi 2017 teen murders: Arrest documents unsealed, revealing new information (msn.com)

Above is a very interesting article that WLKY out of Louisville forwarded from the Associated Press.

Most interesting were the new details attaching the suspect - Richard Allen - to the murder scene and the victims.  

Quickly:

1. They report finding an unspent bullet at the scene upon finding the deceased between them.

2. They ran a laboratory report on this bullet.

3.  They inspected Allen's home in October 2022 and found a .40 caliber pistol at his home.  Both Allen and his wife said only Allen has ever fired this weapon.

4.  The lab report made a determination that the unspent bullet "had been cycled through Allen's weapon".

5.  Allen admitted to being on the trail the day the murders happened, but denies anything about them.  But the clothes he told police he was wearing match the clothes on the man seen in the video on one of the girls phones.

6.  They reported that one of the girls can be heard saying "gun" in the videos they recorded that day.

7.  Allen's defense attorney has requested to move the trial outside of Carroll County.

This is fascinating information and seems to tie Mr. Allen down pretty well to me.  But we will see how it goes from here.

I would LOVE to know more about #4 and how they did this analysis.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Purple88 said:

Delphi 2017 teen murders: Arrest documents unsealed, revealing new information (msn.com)

Above is a very interesting article that WLKY out of Louisville forwarded from the Associated Press.

Most interesting were the new details attaching the suspect - Richard Allen - to the murder scene and the victims.  

Quickly:

1. They report finding an unspent bullet at the scene upon finding the deceased between them.

3.  They inspected Allen's home in October 2022 and found a .40 caliber pistol at his home.  Both Allen and his wife said only Allen has ever fired this weapon.

4.  The lab report made a determination that the unspent bullet "had been cycled through Allen's weapon".

Just going through the action of the pistol "could" leave identifying striations on the casings. This would be especially true if there was a nick or cut in the action that the shell casings came in contact with. For comparison they just cycle similar ammo through the pistol for comparison. The marks may even be microscopic and invisible to the naked eye.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Purple88 said:

Quickly:

5.  Allen admitted to being on the trail the day the murders happened, but denies anything about them.  But the clothes he told police he was wearing match the clothes on the man seen in the video on one of the girls phones.

6.  They reported that one of the girls can be heard saying "gun" in the videos they recorded that day.

7.  Allen's defense attorney has requested to move the trial outside of Carroll County.

This is fascinating information and seems to tie Mr. Allen down pretty well to me.  But we will see how it goes from here.

#5 seems especially damning.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Here you go @Purple88, this explains it better than I did.

Screenshot_20221130-231059_Drive.jpg

8 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

#5 seems especially damning.

Jumper,

Thanks for sending that information.  That's really fascinating stuff and the way this is written seems to be molded from being given in court many, many times.  

RP, you are exactly right on #5.  A lawyer can discount striations on a shell casing as speculative based on the opinion of the lab analyst, but he can't discount his defendant admitting to being at the scene that day and having the same clothes as the guy in the girls video.  

I'm an archery coach at Manual High School and our archery tournament director is taking his daughter (an archer at Manual) this month to South Dakota State and Omaha for school visits, as they are reportedly the top Ballistic Science institutions in the country, as that is what she wants to do for a living.  Thought you guys might find that interesting too.

• Like 2

I was going to start by saying I can't believe this, but thinking more about it; it's just a simple mistake that cost this case and these families 5 years to get to this point.  The link below is to a WDRB report about why it's taken 5 years to get this arrest:

'Clerical error' may have delayed Richard Allen's arrest for Delphi murders for years | Crime Reports | wdrb.com

This is the most important part IMO:

"According to a source for FOX 59, as well as The Murder Sheet Podcast, that 2017 interview with Allen was overlooked due to a "clerical error." Those sources say a civilian FBI employee either mislabeled or misfiled tip information in the system, meaning it didn't show up in the correct location during a data search.

It was later discovered after the case stalled and police went back to the very beginning of the investigation. That's when they followed up and took a closer look at Allen.

WOW!

• 3 months later...

Apparently there is now a pretty major investigation to whether or not these murders have ties to an unsolved 2012 double-murder in Boone County, KY.

Bill & Peggy Stephenson were found dead in their home in the Oakbrook subdivision in Florence on May 29, 2012. They had been stabbed and bludgeoned to death, and their bodies were staged by the killer(s). Boone County detectives are still very tight-lipped about the details surrounding the double-murder and crime scene, but the staging of the Stephenson's bodies and the staging of the bodies at the Dephi crime scene has apparently been at least one of the reasons that there are official suspicions of some sort of connection.

Peggy Stephenson was the organist at their local church, and Bill Stephenson operated a truck stop church ministry.

bilde.jpg

Some interesting info from this article, discussing the apparent investigation attempting to explore potential links between the two murders. First, there is allegedly some DNA evidence that was recovered from the Stephenson crime scene in Florence. Second, the Delphi investigators apparently still have several reasons to believe that Richard Allen, who is currently in custody for the murders, was aided in the murders by an additional individual. Richard Allen has apparently been ruled out as a suspect in the Stephenson murder, but the "additional individual" concept seems to be what's pushing this part of the investigation.

Chilling Connection: Eerie link between Delphi murders and unsolved Stephenson killings looked into by cops shocked by ‘gruesome’ scene | the-sun.com

The bodies of the beloved couple - who were considered pillars of their local community - had been posed in separate rooms and the crime scene was elaborately staged.

Boone County Detective Coy Cox told The U.S. Sun the crime scene was unlike anything he'd seen before during his decades-long career in law enforcement, revealing that "pretty much everything" inside the home had been meddled with in some capacity.

"I've seen some pretty gruesome things, but I've never seen a crime scene like that before," said Cox.

"[It was staged] in almost every way that you could think possible. I don't want to elaborate too much, but things were moved and turned over, things had been touched on bookshelves and in cabinets, and things had been rearranged on the refrigerator.

"And then with the victims, things had been laid around them and on top of them. We didn't have a crime scene, we had a scene the killer or killers wanted us to find."

----------------------------------------------

However, the investigation took an interesting turn in November last year when Cox and his partner, Tim Adams, received a tip claiming the Stephensons' deaths may be linked to the murders of two teen girls, Libby German and Abigail Williams, 198 miles away in Delphi, Indiana.

Libby, 14, and Abby, 13, were found dead in a wooded area on Valentine's Day, 2017.

Like the Stephenson case, few details have been shared by investigators, but the girls' bodies are understood to have been "posed" and both had lost a lot of blood, leaked documents stated.

According to Cox, the tipster listed a series of reasons "why the culprit behind the Delphi murders is the same person who did the Stephenson murders."

The tip didn't concern Richard Allen, who was arrested and charged with the murders of Libby and Abby in October last year, a month before the tip came in, Cox said.

However, investigators in Delphi said they have reason to believe Allen was allegedly "not the only actor involved" in the girls' deaths and are currently looking into other potential suspects.