Has Kentucky started to show that the one and done isn't the way?

newarkcatholicfan

Just curious, what would you do instead of recruiting so called one and dones. The only option is to recruit less talanted kids. Does that make sense. Please give us your solution.

He has to recruit the best. He's doing just what he has to do. The issue is I'm not sold on his coaching ability. I think he gets a free pass because of who he can recruit, but that is only half the job, coaching is the other half and I don't think he's as good as many claim he is.

Talent will get you 80-90% of your wins. There are times when even the most talented players need coaching and a coach needs to know how to adjust and teach at the same time to be truly Succesful.

UK can help sell itself the same that Duke or Kansas or UNC can. Cal is the best recruiter in the game but that doesn't mean he is the only one that can sell UK.

It's his coaching that has me concerned.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you don't think that CAL is the best college coach in America over the past 8 years, who would you rather have? I will give you Coach K, but outside of him, Cal's record matches up with anyone.

This thread is silly.

hate to say it but Pitino is a better coach. Again, Talent over the last 8 years has more to do with the success than coaching.

Hey, Coach Cal said this team would have the best Defense since he's been here before the season started.

Lets see him turn this around the rest of the way and take them to the finals. Then I will be convinced the man can outright coach. He has the most talent. Let's see what he can do with them.

hate to say it but Pitino is a better coach. Again, Talent over the last 8 years has more to do with the success than coaching.

Nothing you should hate to say, but acquiring talent is part of coaching. If Pitino had the same level of talent he would have maybe separated himself from the rest of the field (or against Cal in this case) as a far superior coach.

I am not trying to pretend Cal is any kind of Xs and Os genius. We know he isn't. But he more than makes up with that with the necessary parts and motivation. I also think Cal subscribes to the theory that over time you put Johnny Five Star with limited experience vs Johnny Three Star with experience, the Five Star guy will win... and he is right. That doesn't mean UK should be expected to win it all every 2-3. But in his tenure - outside of the Robert Morris year - they are in the collection of teams considered a legit threat. Realistically I am not sure what more someone wants when the ultimate prize is decided in a "one and done" scenario.

Nothing you should hate to say, but acquiring talent is part of coaching. If Pitino had the same level of talent he would have maybe separated himself from the rest of the field (or against Cal in this case) as a far superior coach.

I am not trying to pretend Cal is any kind of Xs and Os genius. We know he isn't. But he more than makes up with that with the necessary parts and motivation. I also think Cal subscribes to the theory that over time you put Johnny Five Star with limited experience vs Johnny Three Star with experience, the Five Star guy will win... and he is right. That doesn't mean UK should be expected to win it all every 2-3. But in his tenure - outside of the Robert Morris year - they are in the collection of teams considered a legit threat. Realistically I am not sure what more someone wants when the ultimate prize is decided in a "one and done" scenario.

Yes they are always in the collection of teams considered to be a legit threat. Now is that because of the players or the coaching? I'd say 90% of it is because of the players and what their "talent" is.

People keep saying on here that recruiting is part of the job and part of coaching...well duh, I know that, we all know that. Again does that automatically cover up the inability to coach at the level many on here think Cal coaches at?

I keep going back back to the term thrown around in here this past weekend of "Extremely Succesful". Is he an extremely succesful recruiter or coach? I think recruiter is the answer and as far as coach, he's a good coach, he's not great.

Hate to say - recruiting is part of coaching. Cal having better talent is part of the equation. In fact it maybe the most important part of the equation, so no Pitino hasn't been close to Cal as a coach the last 8 years.

Go back and check the box score of that title game. Those two contributed six points together vs Wisky in the title game.

KY has won one title in Cal's years.

Tubby won one in his tenure.

Pitino one in his eight years.

Hall won one in 13 years.

Rupp won four in 40 years.

Sounds like Cal is doing as well or better than any other U.K. Coach.

This is so cool watching the UK fan defend Duke. You're all over it. Keep it up!!!!!

I've said that. Numerous times btw.

But then you say...

Talent over the last 8 years has more to do with the success than coaching.

Which makes no sense if you believe recruiting is part of coaching.

Tell me again what coach is better than CAL? Rick Pitino, a coach Cal has owned including exiting him from the tourney twice in last 8 years is an ignorant suggestion. Is that the best you have to offer??? Really??? I can't think of anyone I want on my bench more than Cal. He isn't good, he isn't great, he is elite by any definition (well except HB's :banana:).

At the end of the day. One thing Cal does do which is an important part as a coach. Is he gets his team's playing their best come tournament time. Even in 2011 and 2014 after rough seasons. They started playing their best going into the tournament. Even last year they were playing their best come tournament time before losing to Indiana.

But then you say...

Which makes no sense if you believe recruiting is part of coaching.

Tell me again what coach is better than CAL? Rick Pitino, a coach Cal has owned including exiting him from the tourney twice in last 8 years is an ignorant suggestion. Is that the best you have to offer??? Really??? I can't think of anyone I want on my bench more than Cal. He isn't good, he isn't great, he is elite by any definition (well except HB's :banana:).

You keep ignoring what I've said all along. When I talk about coaching I'm talking about IN GAME coaching. Not recruiting or interviews or radio shows or special appearances or practices etc which also as you haven't mentioned are also a part of coaching.

Im talking about in game

coaching. That is why I said Talent is worth 80% of the wins, it's the other 20% that is due to adjustments etc made

by a coach during a game that matters and there are a lot of in game coaches better than Cal. Pitino, Coach K, Bill Self schooled him the other week also. Tubby Smith was a great in game coach and better than Cal, Tubby just couldn't recruit.