Has Kentucky started to show that the one and done isn't the way?

newarkcatholicfan

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Players that would be one and done by today's standards did not leave after one year in the time span you list, '96-'98. They hung around at least two years and sometimes three or four. The '96 team had seniors such a Delk still around. I'm sure UK's troubles would be much less this year if Booker, Ulis, and KAT were still around. Times have changed with NBA ready players that programs like UK, Duke, Kansas and other elite programs sign to play. Antoine Walker, Ron Mercer, guys like that would be one and done players these days.

I agree 100% which is why I'm not a fan of the one and dones.

What does having the #1 recruiting class year in and year out get you if you can't win titles? That's my point.

To be fair people who are not happy with one and dones, is fine and understandable. However cant make a list of other teams who have won titles by not doing one and dones during that time, and there was not a single team that has won 2 titles during Cals time frame by doing the experience team route either. Teams who have done the experience route have only won 1 title each too during Cals time here besides Uconn.

So it's hard to say one and done is not the answer and use the only one title as proof. When no other teams have won more than 1 title either by doing the experience route, except Uconn who does have 2 actually. Yet besides those 2 years, they have been so up and down mostly down that uk fans would be unhappy with them too year to year.

The fact of the matter is, is the tournament is so dang hard to win. You can have a talented experience team fall short. You can have a loaded one and done team and fall short, you can have and mixture of both and fall short. Uk with their one and dones beat a bunch of those extremely talented experienced squads during their 2011 and 2014 runs. So there is no guarantee way to win this tournament that is any better than another way. You have to be playing your best at the right time and also a little lucky.

Duke won multiple titles since Cal has been at UK and even when they won (2015) with 3 one and dones they had another 2 upperclassmen (starting PG and starting C) that started every game and had a big say on their season.

Like I said in my post that you chose to ignore. You can't win with one and dones unless they have the maturity to play as a team. You named 1 team, what about the other teams from 2010-2016 other than UK's 2012 team? You have 5 teams that weren't full of one and dones that won the title. If one and dones were the answer then the ratio would be switched. One and dones does not work the majority of the time.

Just look at this year. Duke and UK came in 1 and 2 loaded with one and dones and look at them now. One and dones just don't work like some would like you to think.

BTW Plumlee (jr) was a pretty big part of that team starting 36 games and avg'ing 31 mins a game ...oh and Quinn Cook (sr) started all their games as a senior that year as well averaging 36 mins a game.

Go back and check the box score of that title game. Those two contributed six points together vs Wisky in the title game.

KY has won one title in Cal's years.

Tubby won one in his tenure.

Pitino one in his eight years.

Hall won one in 13 years.

Rupp won four in 40 years.

Sounds like Cal is doing as well or better than any other U.K. Coach.

Duke won multiple titles since Cal has been at UK and even when they won (2015) with 3 one and dones they had another 2 upperclassmen (starting PG and starting C) that started every game and had a big say on their season.

Not in the title game where it counted.

I will take Cal's one and done style over 10 loss Tubby any day. Obviously Rick Pitino did an absolutely remarkable job of rebuilding UK basketball during his tenure taking UK from probation shame to the national title. That was 20 years ago and the landscape of all college sports has changed along with everything else from family units to social media.

Go back and check the box score of that title game. Those two contributed six points together vs Wisky in the title game.

KY has won one title in Cal's years.

Tubby won one in his tenure.

Pitino one in his eight years.

Hall won one in 13 years.

Rupp won four in 40 years.

Sounds like Cal is doing as well or better than any other U.K. Coach.

I would have to measure their success talent wise. In Pitino's 8 years did he have the most talented players coming in every year? Shoot the 93 team alone had Mashburn and no one outside him considered to be a top player. How many titles do you think Hall, Pitino or Rupp would have had with the top or 2nd rated class come in every year while they were here?

Im hoping next years team will gell more like the 2012 team but only time will tell.

Extremely successful would be multiple titles since he's been here. I count 1. By that definition there are a ton of extremely successful college coaches.

Since 1990 the only multiple title holders are: Coach K, Roy Williams, Calhoun, Ricky Pitino, Billy Donovan. Am I missing any others? That's only five coaches in twenty-seven years. Pretty hard to do.

I will take Cal's one and done style over 10 loss Tubby any day. Obviously Rick Pitino did an absolutely remarkable job of rebuilding UK basketball during his tenure taking UK from probation shame to the national title. That was 20 years ago and the landscape of all college sports has changed along with everything else from family units to social media.

I'd take cals recruiting everyday over Tubbys and anyone else's for that matter. But I would take Tubbys in game

coaching anytime over Cal's.

Since 1990 the only multiple title holders are: Coach K, Roy Williams, Calhoun, Ricky Pitino, Billy Donovan. Am I missing any others? That's only five coaches in twenty-seven years. Pretty hard to do.

You're missing what I've been saying.

Ok, let's try this. Out of all those coaches you named, how many titles do you think they would have if they had Kentuckys talent over the last 8 years? Only 1. You're saying no coach could have won more than 1 title with all the talent they've had here over the past 8 seasons?

Thats my point. Cal is an outstanding recruiter. The best in all of College Basketball. Never doubted that nor said anything else. I'm talking about his coaching. His coaching is nothing special. Actually as I stated before I truly believe his coaching cost is a title in 2014. All those coaches you mentioned would have won AT LEAST 1 title with UK in that time frame and most probably more than 1.

I'd take cals recruiting everyday over Tubbys and anyone else's for that matter. But I would take Tubbys in game

coaching anytime over Cal's.

A big part of coaching is recruiting. Tubby always coached his best at every job in his 1st couple years when he had players already there. I can see how someone would have wished Pitino never left, but not Tubby. He has worked himself back to the conference whence he started. Tubby is a mid major coach at best.....because he cannoit recruit.

A big part of coaching is recruiting. Tubby always coached his best at every job in his 1st couple years when he had players already there. I can see how someone would have wished Pitino never left, but not Tubby. He has worked himself back to the conference whence he started. Tubby is a mid major coach at best.....because he cannoit recruit.

Agree 100%. Tubby was supposed to be a great recruiter but he wasn't. He was however a great in game

coach like you said when he had the talent.

He and Cal are complete opposites. One can recruit but not a great coach and one was a great coach but couldn't recruit worth a lick.