Has Kentucky started to show that the one and done isn't the way?

newarkcatholicfan

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never said that. I also didn't say the same about his Memphis team, btw should have won if he worked more in FT's I feel.

It's not as if he won multiple championships at either of those schools. Remember we are talking about EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL coaching.

Let me ask a simple question to you. Being serious here. Do you think fans are extremely happy if their coach gets theor team to the finals one time yet never gets to see their team win the title? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe all fans are happy with is just that. If that's the case then I guess I am

different when it comes to what I think is successful.

I would like more titles cause I want to pass UCLA but I don't look at not winning them as terrible. Some of the best teams of all time didn't win the title.

While he didn't win a title, what he did at UMass was miraculous.

Never said that. I also didn't say the same about his Memphis team, btw should have won if he worked more in FT's I feel.

It's not as if he won multiple championships at either of those schools. Remember we are talking about EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL coaching.

Let me ask a simple question to you. Being serious here. Do you think fans are extremely happy if their coach gets theor team to the finals one time yet never gets to see their team win the title? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe all fans are happy with is just that. If that's the case then I guess I am

different when it comes to what I think is successful.

What is your opinion on Tom Izzo? Hall of fame Coach, great tournament success. Recruits well, develops players, good in game Coach. Yet only one title. Should we not consider him a succesful Coach?

2 of the best coaches in college basketball, hall of fame coaches in Tom Izzo and Pitino have a total of 3 titles combined in their careers. As great as coaches as they are, can we then say their strategy is not a successful strategy since they only have 3 titles combined. Since you say Cals strategy has proven to not be succesful since he only has 1 title doing it his way?

Shoot the only Coach I guess we can say that has a proven strategy that works then is Coach K. Meaning how Pitino, Izzo, also cant be considered at having good strategies to win titles.

I get what you are trying to say, but using the only one title as your big proof is weak imo. In College basketball you rarely see the team that is suppose to be the best, or most talented win it. The majority of time the team who wins it, is not the team who people would have said was definitely the best or most talented. It's the team playing the best come March and also having a little luck in the draw, etc.

During Cals time here I would say 2010, 2012, and 2015 were the only years where we definitely were the most talented teams in the country. So 2010 and 2015 definitely were disappointing because they were the best teams but failed. 2011 and 2014 we were not even in the top 5 in best teams in the country. Yet he did Coach those teams well to go on runs and beat better teams a long the way.

You are 100% correct. We do t know if we would have one if Cal didn't come here.

All I've said is that with the talent HE has brought in here and lost with I think there are a lot better in game

coaches than him around.

Agreed with this. I don't think anyone would have argued with this, if you just simply said others are better in game coaches. It's the other stuff you said, that probably made us all miss your point. If this was the point you were making. As an in game coaches, there are others better.

Simply: one and done is not done. I havent seen any teams win the championship w/o future pros whether they were one and done or not. Coaches dont win championships. Coaches with players win championships. On another note: the same can be said for all major and or minor sports in ncaa athletics

I would like more titles cause I want to pass UCLA but I don't look at not winning them as terrible. Some of the best teams of all time didn't win the title.

While he didn't win a title, what he did at UMass was miraculous.

I agree.

Again all i said is I don't put him on the level of many great coaches. Other coaches had won with less talent than Cal has

lost with. That's my point and has been all along. He has had great teams that couldn't win it all.

Agreed with this. I don't think anyone would have argued with this, if you just simply said others are better in game coaches. It's the other stuff you said, that probably made us all miss your point. If this was the point you were making. As an in game coaches, there are others better.

I have all along. Read my very first post in this thread. Post #6. Very last sentence when I said I'm tired of Cals excuses because he can't coach them.

Just asking not judging.

What is Calapari's option? He can recruit kids who aren't as good and hope they stay longer. Who wants that? If a top rated kid wants to come to your program how do you turn him down, tell him he is too good and you know he will probably leave after a year. The other point is that not all the players leave after one year. He has upperclassmen playing. Two kids from Ky are seniors and playing a lot, but would you want a whole team of guys like this. I really don't know how you get away from their situation, and I don't think Calapari wants to, and in the long run either do the fans.

I agree 100% which is why I'm not a fan of the one and dones.

What does having the #1 recruiting class year in and year out get you if you can't win titles? That's my point.

Just curious, what would you do instead of recruiting so called one and dones. The only option is to recruit less talanted kids. Does that make sense. Please give us your solution.

Agree 100%. Tubby was supposed to be a great recruiter but he wasn't. He was however a great in game

coach like you said when he had the talent.

He and Cal are complete opposites. One can recruit but not a great coach and one was a great coach but couldn't recruit worth a lick.

I think you are completely wrong about him not being a great coach. I don't think the majority of fellow coaches would agree with that statement.

I don't understand what "One and Done" means? There is not a master list of kids that are going to college for one season. People also act like other schools are not recruiting these same kids. Every school would love to have the "one and done" problem which seems to infect UK. Judging everything by a single elimination college basketball tournament is an exercise in futility.... You are applying a standard that only one team ends on a successful note.

"No, we will skip out on Anthony Davis since he will be on to the NBA next year."

Signed,

No Coach in America

Edited by bugatti

I think you are completely wrong about him not being a great coach. I don't think the majority of fellow coaches would agree with that statement.

Other thing is funny is that many do not consider recruiting as part of coaching.

You don't climb the ladder as Calipari has by being clueless.

If you don't think that CAL is the best college coach in America over the past 8 years, who would you rather have? I will give you Coach K, but outside of him, Cal's record matches up with anyone.

This thread is silly.

Edited by Oldbird
Deleted a word