Has Kentucky started to show that the one and done isn't the way?

newarkcatholicfan

Tubby would have went to 3-4 with 30+ First round picks.

Then why didn't he recruit 30 first rounders then? Coaching at the college level is many different things (recruiter, game manager, psychologist, etc.)...Cal as a whole is pretty darn good IMO...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He has to recruit the best. He's doing just what he has to do. The issue is I'm not sold on his coaching ability. I think he gets a free pass because of who he can recruit, but that is only half the job, coaching is the other half and I don't think he's as good as many claim he is.

Talent will get you 80-90% of your wins. There are times when even the most talented players need coaching and a coach needs to know how to adjust and teach at the same time to be truly Succesful.

UK can help sell itself the same that Duke or Kansas or UNC can. Cal is the best recruiter in the game but that doesn't mean he is the only one that can sell UK.

It's his coaching that has me concerned.

Cal has won 20+ games for 23 consecutive seasons with three different schools.

At U Mass, he went to the NCAA tourney five straight years including a sweet sixteen, a final 8 and a final 4. In the entire rest of U Mass basketball history before and after Cal they have been to the NCAA tourney 3 times.

It isn't just recruiting. The man can coach.

UK with Cal reminds me of the Buffalo Bills back in the day. Cal got lucky and won one though.

2012 was far from lucky, but in saying that...

Running the gauntlet that is the NCAA tournament and bringing home a National Championship usually does take a little luck. Rarely does the #1 team win.

Cal has won 20+ games for 23 consecutive seasons with three different schools.

At U Mass, he went to the NCAA tourney five straight years including a sweet sixteen, a final 8 and a final 4. In the entire rest of U Mass basketball history before and after Cal they have been to the NCAA tourney 3 times.

It isn't just recruiting. The man can coach.

To tag team with VOR. To say Cal can't coach is just repeating what others say, which is ignorant position to hold.

Question... how many McDonald's All Americans did Cal have at UMass? He must have had a boat load since the man can't coach. Right?

How many did he have a Memphis? Hint - he will have as many or more in UK's frosh class next year. :D

My favorite example of Cal not being able to "bench" coach was the 2008 Final Four game versus UCLA.

Memphis' starters: Derrick Rose, Chris Davis Roberts, Robert Dozier, Antonio Anderson, and Joey Dorsey. That is one elite pro and 4 other guys who at best had a cup of coffee in the NBA.

UCLA's roster had: Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Darren Collison , Luc Mbah a Moute, and Josh Shipp. That is 2 elite pros and 4 regular NBA starters.

Oh yeah, Cal won that game by 15 points. Pretty good for a guy who can't coach. There are other examples (should UMASS 1996 even been on the same court as - hint UK might have had a little more talent :lol:).

Cal might be able to coach a little. :D

To tag team with VOR. To say Cal can't coach is just repeating what others say, which is ignorant position to hold.

Question... how many McDonald's All Americans did Cal have at UMass? He must have had a boat load since the man can't coach. Right?

How many did he have a Memphis? Hint - he will have as many or more in UK's frosh class next year. :D

My favorite example of Cal not being able to "bench" coach was the 2008 Final Four game versus UCLA.

Memphis' starters: Derrick Rose, Chris Davis Roberts, Robert Dozier, Antonio Anderson, and Joey Dorsey. That is one elite pro and 4 other guys who at best had a cup of coffee in the NBA.

UCLA's roster had: Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Darren Collison , Luc Mbah a Moute, and Josh Shipp. That is 2 elite pros and 4 regular NBA starters.

Oh yeah, Cal won that game by 15 points. Pretty good for a guy who can't coach. There are other examples (should UMASS 1996 even been on the same court as - hint UK might have had a little more talent :lol:).

Cal might be able to coach a little. :D

THIS times a million. :thumb:

I don't understand why Coach K is the standard you are comparing to. When he is done, he will go down as 1/2 greatest coaches all time. No offense, but Cal isn't even in the same breathe. If that's the guy you're comparing with, then you will forever be insatiable my friend. :isurrender: