Your thought on the Inaugural Speech

jericho

I agree. But the problem is getting people to care. Not very many people on the right care. That's a problem. Awareness is my goal more than anything else. We can create awareness while also focusing on the issues you said.

When you say the right what do you mean? Middle class families who worry about jobs , putting food on their table, protecting their families and worried about paying bills ?

It's a nonsense theory to say the right doesn't care about the enviroment. If someone doesn't agree with another persons solution it does not mean they don't care. It normally means they don't agree with that persons solution.

It would be like me saying the left doesn't care about our saftey because they don't agree with me on ISIS .

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you say the right what do you mean? Middle class families who worry about jobs , putting food on their table, protecting their families and worried about paying bills ?

It's a nonsense theory to say the right doesn't care about the enviroment. If someone doesn't agree with another persons solution it does not mean they don't care. It normally means they don't agree with that persons solution.

It would be like me saying the left doesn't care about our saftey because they don't agree with me on ISIS .

It's not nonsense. You can care about the environment while also caring about the economy. I don't want the environment to be a political issue. It should be a humanity issue. Also I'm a person that falls on the right. You should talk to others on the right. They don't care about taking action to protect environment.

I agree. But the problem is getting people to care. Not very many people on the right care. That's a problem. Awareness is my goal more than anything else. We can create awareness while also focusing on the issues you said.
Saying that those on the right do not care about the environment is ridiculous. President Richard Nixon, not a Democrat, signed the EPA into existence. Nobody wants dirty air and dirty water, regardless of their political affiliation. However, there are certain technological and economic limits that must be respected. Otherwise, President Trump and Congress could simply enact a law to require cars to get 100 mpg, with zero emissions. Who knows how many lives have already been lost because of the switch away from steel to plastic to meet arbitrary fuel economy standards?

When laws and regulations are enacted, environmental impact should be an important consideration, but so should economic impact and safety. Humans are an important part of the environment, and IMO, environmentalists frequently ignore that fact.

Saying that those on the right do not care about the environment is ridiculous. President Richard Nixon, not a Democrat, signed the EPA into existence. Nobody wants dirty air and dirty water, regardless of their political affiliation. However, there are certain technological and economic limits that must be respected. Otherwise, President Trump and Congress could simply enact a law to require cars to get 100 mpg, with zero emissions. Who knows how many lives have already been lost because of the switch away from steel to plastic to meet arbitrary fuel economy standards?

When laws and regulations are enacted, environmental impact should be an important consideration, but so should economic impact and safety. Humans are an important part of the environment, and IMO, environmentalists frequently ignore that fact.

Richard Nixon. You do realize that political allegiances switched with Reagan right? I'm not siding with the super radical environmentalists. I just want people to care. To say that they care is simply ridiculous. I don't think people on the right (for the most part care). The environment is not a political issue. It shouldn't be a partisan issue either. I'm not necessarily calling on government to enact more legislation I want the general population and more importantly businesses to address this and take action based on their own premonitions not because the government tells them to. In my experience people don't care. If that is not your experience then great maybe we are making progress and I need to work harder I guess.

No one wants to destroy the enviroment. But I want smart legislation that doesn't hurt the economy and jobs. I don't want endless government red tape that has no impact on the enviroment. I really don't want a government agency acting like congress and passing laws. We do not need unelected officals hurting our economy. To build on your statment on not understanding , if people don't understand that is what the EPA has turned into then they don't understand how the economy or government works.

I can't like this post enough. My biggest problem is with the EPA (and other government agencies) that pass regulations that really hurt people and industies. The people who come up with these regulations are not elected and are not in congress...how is this right? I hope Trump gets rid of A LOT of these regulations (and not just related to the EPA).

I can't like this post enough. My biggest problem is with the EPA (and other government agencies) that pass regulations that really hurt people and industies. The people who come up with these regulations are not elected and are not in congress...how is this right? I hope Trump gets rid of A LOT of these regulations (and not just related to the EPA).
The EPA has made mistakes I agree. There is too much red tape for businesses. But they are trying to solve issues that I feel are important so I can't completely fault them just because their execution is flawed. Changes need to be made, obviously. But I don't want to see the environment get put on the backburner. Again it's not the government that should care its the people. When the people start caring the government doesn't have to do anything. This is how real progress is made.

I gained a lot of respect for @mountain ref because of his views on the environment. I had no idea until I read that he had such beliefs. I too consider myself a "republican" even though I hate that label. But the environment is a huge deal for me too and it's very uncommon to see fellow republicans with similar stances. It's also hard to make fellow republicans care about such issues as well as they just don't seem to get it. But props to you again.

Thanks

That means a lot.

It's not nonsense. You can care about the environment while also caring about the economy. I don't want the environment to be a political issue. It should be a humanity issue. Also I'm a person that falls on the right. You should talk to others on the right. They don't care about taking action to protect environment.

Amen

Richard Nixon. You do realize that political allegiances switched with Reagan right? I'm not siding with the super radical environmentalists. I just want people to care. To say that they care is simply ridiculous. I don't think people on the right (for the most part care). The environment is not a political issue. It shouldn't be a partisan issue either. I'm not necessarily calling on government to enact more legislation I want the general population and more importantly businesses to address this and take action based on their own premonitions not because the government tells them to. In my experience people don't care. If that is not your experience then great maybe we are making progress and I need to work harder I guess.
No, I personally do not know anybody who does not care about the environment. I do know people who do not seem to care or are simply ignorant of the impact of regulations on our economy. In addition, I see such people all the time on cable news channels and they tend to be from the left end of the political spectrum.

I am old enough to remember the Love Canal disaster and the Cuyahoga River catching fire. I am not sure what you mean by political allegiances switching with Reagan, but Nixon was a Republican and the EPA was created with broad bi-partisan support, largely in response to problems such as Love Canal and the Cuyahoga River fire. The bill passed the House of Representatives with only one vote cast against it and it passed the Senate unanimously.

I lived near the Cuyahoga River for a few months about 12 years ago and the river has been restored to the point that it is now surrounded by an extensive municipal park system that includes bike paths and trails. Don't let anybody tell you that our environment is more polluted than ever before, because that is definitely not true. The air and water in this country are much, much cleaner than they were around 1970.

There is no need to rely on your personal experience to determine whether conservatives care about the environment. The history of the 1960s and 1970s is well documented and you may be shocked to find out that conservatives, moderates, and liberals were equally responsible for creating the EPA. The environmental extremist movements have been launched primarily by the extreme left, but the heavy lifting was done and rational environmental legislation was crafted in a bipartisan fashion decades ago.

I listened to the speech tonight. I thought he did a pretty good job, better than most speeches of his I have heard or read. There were some points that were a little over the top but they were tame for DJT. I am glad this day finally got here and we can focus more on actions than all the talk and promises.

I invite anyone who doesn't believe that the environment isn't political to visit the St Lucie River, the Lake Ocochobee everglades and the Calusahachie River in Florida to see what happens to pristine water when Big Sugar has more say in what happens than the people affected. Several federal departments can't make up their minds to get off their behinds, make a decision and work together to save that beautiful area from man made destruction. Politics and money!!