Your thought on the Inaugural Speech

jericho

No, I personally do not know anybody who does not care about the environment. I do know people who do not seem to care or are simply ignorant of the impact of regulations on our economy. In addition, I see such people all the time on cable news channels and they tend to be from the left end of the political spectrum.

I am old enough to remember the Love Canal disaster and the Cuyahoga River catching fire. I am not sure what you mean by political allegiances switching with Reagan, but Nixon was a Republican and the EPA was created with broad bi-partisan support, largely in response to problems such as Love Canal and the Cuyahoga River fire. The bill passed the House of Representatives with only one vote cast against it and it passed the Senate unanimously.

I lived near the Cuyahoga River for a few months about 12 years ago and the river has been restored to the point that it is now surrounded by an extensive municipal park system that includes bike paths and trails. Don't let anybody tell you that our environment is more polluted than ever before, because that is definitely not true. The air and water in this country are much, much cleaner than they were around 1970.

There is no need to rely on your personal experience to determine whether conservatives care about the environment. The history of the 1960s and 1970s is well documented and you may be shocked to find out that conservatives, moderates, and liberals were equally responsible for creating the EPA. The environmental extremist movements have been launched primarily by the extreme left, but the heavy lifting was done and rational environmental legislation was crafted in a bipartisan fashion decades ago.

That's great. We still have a long way to go though. It's about educating people about the dangers and trying to enact change within the people not a governmental agency. I want people to want make a difference in the envrionment because they care. There are tons of people who already do and that's great. I want everyone. I want it to become a subconscious action to act in a responsible way towards the environment. Whether you believe in climate change or not is only one variable. I want to live in a clean world. I want people to understand nature and work to protect it because they love its beauty. You can keep saying that people don't care about the environment and I'll keep saying that's fine but I want everyone to care. It shouldn't be a debatable thing. You can't compare it to the economy. They are completely independent of each other or at least they should be. You can want people to have a job and healthcare while also feeling strongly about protecting the environment. You keep bringing up the politics of this. I hate politics mainly because people turn things political when they never should be.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I invite anyone who doesn't believe that the environment isn't political to visit the St Lucie River, the Lake Ocochobee everglades and the Calusahachie River in Florida to see what happens to pristine water when Big Sugar has more say in what happens than the people affected. Several federal departments can't make up their minds to get off their behinds, make a decision and work together to save that beautiful area from man made destruction. Politics and money!!
Why leave it to the government to fix this? Be the change you wish to see in the world.

I planted oysters, went to meetings, donated money to "Save our River", talked to politicians when I lived there. Fresh water killed the oysters, the river turned emerald green more than once and when my grandkids couldn't get in the water I cried and sold my property. It is time for someone younger to fight that battle. I still cry!!

That's great. We still have a long way to go though. It's about educating people about the dangers and trying to enact change within the people not a governmental agency. I want people to want make a difference in the envrionment because they care. There are tons of people who already do and that's great. I want everyone. I want it to become a subconscious action to act in a responsible way towards the environment. Whether you believe in climate change or not is only one variable. I want to live in a clean world. I want people to understand nature and work to protect it because they love its beauty. You can keep saying that people don't care about the environment and I'll keep saying that's fine but I want everyone to care. It shouldn't be a debatable thing. You can't compare it to the economy. They are completely independent of each other or at least they should be. You can want people to have a job and healthcare while also feeling strongly about protecting the environment. You keep bringing up the politics of this. I hate politics mainly because people turn things political when they never should be.
I never said that people don't care about the environment. If I recall correctly, it was you who injected politics into the discussion when you claimed that people on the right do not care about the environment. In response, I explained that all but one member of Congress voted in favor of creating the EPA and it was signed into existence by Republican President Richard Nixon. A clean environment has always enjoyed bipartisan support. Stating that fact is NOT injecting politics into the debate, it is quite the opposite.

I never said that people don't care about the environment. If I recall correctly, it was you who injected politics into the discussion when you claimed that people on the right do not care about the environment. In response, I explained that all but one member of Congress voted in favor of creating the EPA and it was signed into existence by Republican President Richard Nixon. A clean environment has always enjoyed bipartisan support. Stating that fact is NOT injecting politics into the debate, it is quite the opposite.

I'm just going to bow out. Because apparently neither of us is taking the time to read the posts completely.

Day 1 of liberals feeling the same way I have for the past 8 years. Minus the crying, looting, safe space, etc.

I'm not an Obama supporter by any means and disagreed with most of his policies. But were the past 8 years really all that bad for you? Like what changed so drastically that your everyday life was effected?