Pre-Game Technical Foul for Dunking

I've seen some refs blow their whistle when entering the gym to let the teams know they are coming. Most teams usually have a coach keeping a look out for the refs also.

I've noticed that more this season than in the past. Obviously the kids should know not to dunk after 15 minutes, but I think the ref blowing the whistle upon entrance is good practice as well.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a time honored tradition to miss as many dunks as you can before the refs come walking in.

And a time honored tradition for a coach to make a kid run if he dunks pregame and gets slapped with a T.

Didn't know this was a rule in Kentucky. Seems to me like the games in Louisville, the warm ups are more like dunking contest.

In Indiana it's a no dunk during warm ups rule too. Dumb

My guess is that the boys you see dunking stop when the officials come out. It's a Federation rule.

Are you sure it was for dunking and not another administrative issue ?

If for sure dunking, and before the freshman game, it may explain the administration. It's not often that an official doing a freshman game has to administer the rule, so it could get messed up that way. Not an excuse, just not an everyday thing.

The reason I asked the question was in fact that it was a frosh game and the officials probably had never had to make that call at any other time in their young careers as referees.

I have seen this occur a half dozen times or so in games I have attended over the years. Usually it does happen as the officials are coming onto the floor and the players do not see them. In this case, there was only 5 minutes until tip. The officials had been standing at mid court for over ten minutes. Both officials were walking on the baseline to take their jackets back to their dressing room and the young man slammed the ball ( nice dunk actually ) right in front of them.

Player knew immediately that he was going to get a technical. I guess he just forgot for a second that it was not permitted.

Old rule before the break away rims where invented several years ago. It was originally put in place to protect the backboard and the rims and with technology today it is not needed... joke of a rule

I saw Alvin Sims break a breakaway rim one night at Harrison Co. They had to go to the middle school and get a rim off of one of their goals.

Game started about 45 minutes late.