Kaepernick refuses to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people

HammerTime

So it looks like I need to add some more so people can understand the example I used with Ali. I thought it was clear but it wasn't. My fault, I guess.

Ali refused to fight for many reasons. The main reason was he saw that white boys were running to Canada or going to college to avoid the draft and having to serve like his fellow black brothers. He even once said "my enemies are white people. Not VietCong."

Villified. He, too, was making a lot of money at the time(like CK). He took a stand that cost him a lot of money. People (read: white America) hated him. You can only imagine the memes that would have popped up in 1967.

So like CK , Ali said America oppressed black folk. So in 1967 Ali was taking the exact same stand as CK.

Is the stand right? Depends on what lens you're looking through. Depends on how you interpret "oppressed." Depends on what he's saying is wrong (hint: It's NOT that blacks should be ALLOWED to commit crimes.)

So, again, in 1967 everyone of us would have been on BGP and FB killing Ali than we are with CK.

With time and with emotion removed from the situation some re-evaluated the stance and used history to make a judgment as to the veracity of the comments made.

That's the point I was making with Ali.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By the way, I don't want to hear about Michael Jordan "making a stand" with his donations to two groups. I don't want to hear about Melo, LBJ, etc "making a stand" with their comments at the ESPYs.

THIS is a stand.

1. When I hear CK say he thinks you should be able to break the law with violent crimes and get away with it then I'll put any stock into your first sentence.

2. If you think Ali was only anti-war then I'd say do some more reading. Ali's INITIAL stances were ALL aimed at oppression. He just took it one step further by refusing to serve.

Ali made an actual stand, this prima donna is yet another example of symbolism over substance.

By the way, I don't want to hear about Michael Jordan "making a stand" with his donations to two groups. I don't want to hear about Melo, LBJ, etc "making a stand" with their comments at the ESPYs.

THIS is a stand.

How is this a STAND like Ali? Ali could and did face charges and lost years of his career and money. With CK, people talk bad about him for a week and then forget all about it. Doesn't cost him anything other than maybe an endorsement which my understanding, he had a hard time getting any in the first place. Taking a stand would be refusing to play the first game of the year or sitting out the season. I would respect it more if the NFL threaten to fine him half a game check for every game he does this and then he continued to do it.

The problem Clyde is people and nations do change . We are not the same country we were 50 years ago . THANKFULLY we have progressed greatly in the area of civil rights and the thought that are people are created equal. There is always , ALWAYS going to a % of all races that don't trust other races . Its obvious as a nation we have progressed greatly in race relations since the 60's . So Colins choice to diss our nation cant be related to something Ali did in the 60's . Its just not relevant to what Ali did. Plus Colin isn't putting any money where his ( rich) mouth is . He is a tool . I hope he crashes and burns and is booed out of every stadium he plays in. Let him go play in Canada if he doesn't respect our flag and our nation .

Additionally I don't think he made an educated , calculated statement . I think he flippantly decided he just didn't feel like honoring our country because he just didn't feel like it . He had the chance to explain it away and only dug his hole deeper . Screw that guy .

I don't like it but it's his right. As long as he's willing to take the criticism and the hit to endorsement potential it's his call. I thought a good question was brought up in why do we play the anthem before sporting events and not other events?

Cmon PP , quite frankly you are far far better than that . If you think CP made a good choice and its something you yourself would do then just so . The only thing I hate is anyone of any color would read this thread and come to the conclusion you have . Good gracias . Are you that polarized ?

Cmon PP , quite frankly you are far far better than that . If you think CP made a good choice and its something you yourself would do then just so . The only thing I hate is anyone of any color would read this thread and come to the conclusion you have . Good gracias . Are you that polarized ?

You are really white, right?

Nothing like the smell of white people telling black people how we should think and act in the morning. Ahhhhhhhh, it smells so amazing.

So you are good with him doing this? I am curious...

Also, and again I am serious about this question that I posted earlier in the thread...is there another country that "oppresses minorities" less than the US? Maybe there are many. I just don't know of them. I think overall, the US treats minorities much better than most. But that is admittedly a white dude's opinion...

A country doesn't oppress people. It's just a land mass that we occupy. People oppress people. I haven't oppressed anyone. This guy lives like a king in the greatest system in the world. Hope he never wins another game!

I disagree. A country isn't a landmass. It is the systems put in place by the people that collectively control that land. But you're correct in that, at it's heart, people are the problem.

I can't say that I agree with him entirely, but I do understand that our country isn't perfect. It never has been. But that has never once kept me from being proud to be an American and getting goosebumps during the anthem or my voice catching in my throat a bit as I stand with a group of high school kids to say the pledge.

So you are good with him doing this? I am curious...

Also, and again I am serious about this question that I posted earlier in the thread...is there another country that "oppresses minorities" less than the US? Maybe there are many. I just don't know of them. I think overall, the US treats minorities much better than most. But that is admittedly a white dude's opinion...

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. He took a stand in what he believed in and will face the consequences one way or another. It's still a white man's world so we will see what happens to Kap. Either way, his actions don't determine how I feel about him and that is pretty much how I feel about all athletes. The team they play for and what they do against teams I love determine how I feel about them. Not their beliefs. Aaron Rodgers could be an outspoken bigot and I'd still love him because he wins me money and I love the way he plays the QB position. Athletes are left on the field for me.

I'm actually more humored by folks who can't see the similarities between this and Ali. Of course Ali was beloved so he gets a pass but he was way more outspoken in his disgust for America.