Kaepernick refuses to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people

HammerTime

So why didn’t Colin Kaepernick stand during Friday night’s playing of the national anthem? If there was any ambiguity following his Thursday retweet linking the American and Confederate flags, there should be none now.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color,” Kaepernick told Steve Wyche of NFL Media. “To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

As others have noted (and as PFT was informed when first becoming aware of the issue of Friday), Kaepernick hasn’t stood for the playing of the national anthem at any of his team’s three preseason games. Last night the gesture was noticed because, for the first time this year, he was wearing a uniform bearing his name and number.

“This is not something that I am going to run by anybody,” Kaepernick said. “I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed. . . . If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right.”

Kaepernick refuses “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people” | ProFootballTalk

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tell me the difference based on Ali in 1967.

He REFUSED to serve.

Let me clarify this before I make the wrong assumptions cause I know how bothered you get when I read between the lines. Are you supporting this dude and saying him buying into a false narrative is the same as Ali?

Let me clarify this before I make the wrong assumptions cause I know how bothered you get when I read between the lines. Are you supporting this dude and saying him buying into a false narrative is the same as Ali?

I am saying Ali got killed for his stance only to be loved later. He took a bigger stand. Time, though, changed a lot of people's perspective. Could that happen here? Is he wrong in his belief?

I am saying Ali got killed for his stance only to be loved later. He took a bigger stand. Time, though, changed a lot of people's perspective. Could that happen here? Is he wrong in his belief?

Yes he's wrong in his belief. He's no Ali. The overwhelming majority of police involved shootings are cleared as justified and the ones who aren't are indicted. What else could you want?

I have no issues with this, it's his right to do what he wants or what he believes concerning this issue.

This country, the flag, and the National Anthem, gives him the right to sit during the anthem, or pretty much to do anything else. That's the right that we have in this country. Would I do it this way? No. But it doesn't bother me if he or anyone else utilizes their freedom to sit during the anthem.

If Kaep believes the US oppresses minorities, I am curious to hear what country(ies) treat minorities better than the US? And I am not being flippant, I am serious. If I was a reporter, that is the first question I would ask him.

I wonder what the NFL response will be...if any. If the NFL has a rule that all players have to be on the field for the National Anthem, can he be punished (fined)? I don't know if it does but am curious. The NFL seems to have a rule for EVERYTHING so I would not be surprised if it does.