Caleb Jefferson

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he is just following the trendsetter

Macke (Media > AAU > girls aau > boys aau > FR coach)

Skinner (Media > AAU > girls aau > boys aau > FR coach)

McGuire. developed 0 kids

These are both good points. Once some of those folks get a taste of glory, they just can't let it go. They have to start following their players around to each level as they move up.

McGuire. developed 0 kids

...but like most coaches they are developing fine young men for the betterment of society.

This is a pet peeve of mine.

People think AAU coaches are responsible for developing kids. This is ridiculous!

He is volunteering his time to organize and run a team. (Both he and Skinner do that well)

He has maybe 4 hours a week with his team. That time needs to be spent molding 13/14 kids into a unit.

Coaches have zero control over players outside of practice. 75% of kids are not whiling to WORK on their game when coaches/dads are not looking. It's a fact that the kids that work out of the love of the game are better.

Several boys at the age of 14 start to have a different "want". The social scene becomes a big issue for many of these boys and they lose the desire to work. It's much easier to develop younger players than older players. We invest our time over years then one day. They stop showing up.

In college there are entire development groups/training staff. Usually they are hired as a third party and not considered part of the coaching staff. They are former players and usually in their 20's. They constantly have to teach drills using the "tell, show, do" method.

Each player requires 6~8 per hours/week of specialized training focusing on their weakness.

Brad Redford and Kevin Duncan are two of the best trainers in greater Cincinnati for boys. However, each one has a different MO. Kevin is a great trainer and "Develops Players". However, his team's are average because all he does is trains them. He doesn't emphasize the 4 hours per week of team. He also can't travel and play in good events because he must stay local with his various teams. His team are composed of kids that he trains. Therefore, the quality of player is not consistent on a given team. It's IMPOSSIBLE to focus on both. Brad on the other hand doesn't coach a team. He trains and develops and doesn't coach. I hear he may be taking a lead trainer role at one of the local academy's. If he does it will be a great set-up because they will have coach hired to coach and he will train.

I have heard it before. I've had parents leave my team for greener pastures and every-time they say the "Lack of Development". They are blinded by the "Lack of effort" their kid has when coach is not around. I can name kids on local AAU teams that I have told on multiple times. I will help you create a plan. But, you have to ask for help and you have to do the work on my time.

Most of of us are parents to multiple kids, husbands, full-time employees and VOLUNTEERS for our basketball teams. We sacrifice our time, our energy and our money so these kids can play.

But, I will tell you this. We are all developing good young men that will better society. We are not the ones hiding behind stage names and ripping people.

Charles Barkley said it best.

"The Internet is where idiots go to feel important!"

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for finally making a decision. I'm sure all of the NKY coaches are game planning at this minute on how they are going to stop this juggernaut of a team. I'm sure Ruthsatz and company are shaking in their boots right now.

Thank you for finally making a decision. I'm sure all of the NKY coaches are game planning at this minute on how they are going to stop this juggernaut of a team. I'm sure Ruthsatz and company are shaking in their boots right now.

Let's be fair to the kid. He didn't ask for any of this discussion and, in reality, was 90% staying at Beechwood from the jump. We can't fault parents for wanting to make sure their child is in the right school. Agreed?