Ben Simmons should declare for the NBA Draft RIGHT NOW!!!

born2reign

If you look at it from the athletes standpoint, and not the standpoint that your team greatly benefits from it each year, one year in college is a waste for some of these guys. I'm talking the ones that are legitimately ready right out of high school to go to the league.As much as fans want to believe it's true, most of those guys don't care about winning a college championship, they don't really care about the school. They are just doing what they have to do to make it to the league.

If we are going to make them go to college, it needs to be for more than a year. Otherwise, it's a waste of time, IMO.

Is the same true for for graduate transfers, transferring from smaller schools to larger, more prominent schools to gain exposure for the NBA?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does the NCAA have anything to do with this? To me it accomplished exactly what the NBA wanted. It gave a year for teams to evaluate his play and attitude on the collegiate level with all attention on him. When the going got tough, Simmons didn't want any part of it. He most likely will go #1, but this season cast some doubt on that. To take a player of this caliber, he is to be your franchise cornerstone for X amount of years. Does everyone still believe Simmons is that guy? A franchise difference maker?

If you look at it from the athletes standpoint, and not the standpoint that your team greatly benefits from it each year, one year in college is a waste for some of these guys. I'm talking the ones that are legitimately ready right out of high school to go to the league. As much as fans want to believe it's true, most of those guys don't care about winning a college championship, they don't really care about the school. They are just doing what they have to do to make it to the league.

If we are going to make them go to college, it needs to be for more than a year. Otherwise, it's a waste of time, IMO.

Pretty much spot on. A year of college is a joke for many of the PITs (pros in training).

If you look at it from the athletes standpoint, and not the standpoint that your team greatly benefits from it each year, one year in college is a waste for some of these guys. I'm talking the ones that are legitimately ready right out of high school to go to the league.

I personally have always felt that for the very top players, the elite of the one and done players, the one year of college can benefit them greatly, specifically in building their personal brand. John Wall & Anthony Davis are a great example in my opinion. The basketball junkies knew who they were but they became household names before they made it to the league because of their one year at Kentucky. Going to college and playing at a top program helped to elevate their brand and their earning potential, compared to if they jumped right into the league.

I know there are arguments on the others side (e.g. Kobe, Garnett, and etc). But I feel like it does benefit them greatly, if they take advantage of it.

Do I think they should have to play college basketball? No. But if you're going to, you might as well make the most out of it and try to get the most from it. Ben Simmons doesn't appear to have been an example of that, but that might be more on Johnny Jones than it is on Ben Simmons.

What does the NCAA have anything to do with this? To me it accomplished exactly what the NBA wanted. It gave a year for teams to evaluate his play and attitude on the collegiate level with all attention on him. When the going got tough, Simmons didn't want any part of it. He most likely will go #1, but this season cast some doubt on that. To take a player of this caliber, he is to be your franchise cornerstone for X amount of years. Does everyone still believe Simmons is that guy? A franchise difference maker?

1. I think it exposes LSU more than anyone or anything else. I think there are valid points from the article that infer exploitation of these one and done athletes.

2. I'm taking Ben Simmons and not looking back if this is my NBA franchise. He starts on the wing from day one for my franchise.

I'd like to see either the football rule or baseball put into play for basketball. As you stated, these kids don't care about UK, KU, Duke or whoever else they choose to play for. They strictly are there because they have to be.

They don't care at all? Seems weird then that former UK players continually go back to their campus throughout the summer for pick-up games and other events, come to their games throughout the season, tweet out pictures of them wearing UK gear while watching the game on the road with their NBA team.

And if they didn't care about their school or program, they wouldn't finish going to class their freshmen year when they know they are getting drafted, but they do so that it doesn't negatively affect the team.

Saying they don't care is lame and often times inaccurate. Can't speak for Duke or Kansas.

1. I think it exposes LSU more than anyone or anything else. I think there are valid points from the article the infer exploitation of these one and done athletes.

I think it was Bruce Pearl who said it yesterday. Something about how the way this played out with Simmons is only going to hurt other schools from recruiting "the next Ben Simmons". Sounded like he put Johnny Jones on blast.

I think it was Bruce Pearl who said it yesterday. Something about how the way this played out with Simmons is only going to hurt other schools from recruiting "the next Ben Simmons". Sounded like he put Johnny Jones on blast.

Jay Bilas was the first I heard say that the whole Ben Simmons experience helps schools like UK and Duke that handle the one and done players fairly well.

Is the same true for for graduate transfers, transferring from smaller schools to larger, more prominent schools to gain exposure for the NBA?

That's a different narrative, you know that. :lol2:

I think Jay Bilas nailed it for a kid like Ben Simmons. Why choose LSU? A coach that is unproven? He wanted to go somewhere and prove a point I think and it did not work at all. Once Simmons realized what he did I think he got really embarrassed by it and the end result was what you say against Texas A&M. Uk, Duke, M, State, Kansas, somewhere that allowed him to be coached properly. I would be scared if I am a NBA GM, lots of talent BUT.......

They don't care at all? Seems weird then that former UK players continually go back to their campus throughout the summer for pick-up games and other events, come to their games throughout the season, tweet out pictures of them wearing UK gear while watching the game on the road with their NBA team.

And if they didn't care about their school or program, they wouldn't finish going to class their freshmen year when they know they are getting drafted, but they do so that it doesn't negatively affect the team.

Saying they don't care is lame and often times inaccurate. Can't speak for Duke or Kansas.

I think this is where Cal has set himself apart from other coaches who deal with many one and dones. He has created a culture in which these kids can come in and actually get the college experience. This includes not only NBA training but lifetime friendships and a place they can call home. Even if it is for one year. Many scoffed when Cal labeled UK as a players first school, this guy is crazy like a fox!

Meanwhile, can someone send a search committee to check in on Malik Newman? Former #1 player in HS and no one has heard from him since last March. Did his decision cost him $? Same for Steve Zimmerman?

It cost him the chance to get to play in March Madness.

Scouts have been watching him all year. They know what he can and cannot do. The NCAA tourney isn't going to change his draft position. He can improve or hurt it when the teams get him in for actual workouts.

Understood. However, if you were an NBA GM wouldn't you like to know how a guy does playing with guys as good or better than him? Is he a good team mate? Will he pout if he doesn't get the ball? Is a MKG and will sacrifice his game for the team? Lots of teams in the NBA with talent but can't play a lick while the Spurs keep doing what they do.

Understood. However, if you were an NBA GM wouldn't you like to know how a guy does playing with guys as good or better than him? Is he a good team mate? Will he pout if he doesn't get the ball? Is a MKG and will sacrifice his game for the team? Lots of teams in the NBA with talent but can't play a lick while the Spurs keep doing what they do.

His lack of a jump shot would prevent him from the #1 pick more than anything you listed. I get what you're saying, but it just doesn't matter.

Ingram at Duke is the only one you could even remotely consider taking over Simmons, and that's just because he can shoot.