January 31, 201610 yr So, I'm watching the LSU vs. Oklahoma game. Ben Simmons crosses over his defender and gets a reverse dunk. My wife turns to me and says, "That is the best player in the country!" We proceed to watch as LSU players try to win the game without Ben Simmons. He gets his points off of put backs and offensive rebounds throughout most of the second half, it seemed. The coach doesn't call plays for him as the primary offensive threat. His team doesn't exhibit a sense of urgency to get him the ball. My wife says to me, "You would think they would try to use #25 a lot more." While I admit that I wish he went after the ball more aggressively, in a one possession game during the last three possessions Simmons only touched the ball on a defensive rebound and to inbound the ball. Why risk injury on a team that won't make the NCAA tourney and for a team that doesn't know how to utilize your abilities? We have seen twenty college games worth of his talent. What more does the NBA need to see? If I was him, I would have called Dickie V into the locker room after the game and declared for the draft right then. Withdraw from classes, go workout at the IMG facility, take out an insurance policy on your body and wait for the end of June. Thoughts?
January 31, 201610 yr Author Enjoy college. You could get hurt doing anything Quit college right now and enjoy being a young and handsome millionaire with no real responsibility for four months. And, of course you can get hurt doing anything. Mitigate that potential by removing the riskiest activity he participates in right now- which is playing basketball for LSU.
January 31, 201610 yr Quit college right now and enjoy being a young and handsome millionaire with no real responsibility for four months. You don't think he is enjoying college and playing college basketball? Once he turns pro it is a job. He is a young man. Let him enjoy college.
January 31, 201610 yr Author You don't think he is enjoying college and playing college basketball? Once he turns pro it is a job. He is a young man. Let him enjoy college. You think he enjoyed today? To say that he is enjoying this season is a big assumption, IMO. He may love basketball, but I can't imagine he is enjoying his time on the court as a Tiger. I say, go get ready for that job. He is going to do this anyway in two months. Accelerate the process and he may actually have a better opportunity to prep for the NBA lifestyle than he could ever hope to get at LSU.
January 31, 201610 yr You think he enjoyed today? To say that he is enjoying this season is a big assumption, IMO. He may love basketball, but I can't imagine he is enjoying his time on the court as a Tiger. I say, go get ready for that job. He is going to do this anyway in two months. Accelerate the process and he may actually have a better opportunity to prep for the NBA lifestyle than he could ever hope to get at LSU. It is a big assumption by you to say he is not enjoying it
January 31, 201610 yr Author It is a big assumption by you to say he is not enjoying it If the best reason anyone has for him staying is he may or may not be enjoying his time on the court, I think my question has been answered.
January 31, 201610 yr If the best reason anyone has for him staying is he may or may not be enjoying his time on the court, I think my question has been answered. Enjoying time on the court is not reason enough?
January 31, 201610 yr Author Enjoying time on the court is not reason enough? Again, you assume he is enjoying it. If the best one can do is say he might enjoy his on court time at LSU, then I'll stick to my original thoughts in this thread.
January 31, 201610 yr Again, you assume he is enjoying it. If the best one can do is say he might enjoy his on court time at LSU, then I'll stick to my original thoughts in this thread. And you assume he doesn't. College is more than basketball. He is learning to live on his own, manage his time, work on his game, build relationships, and prepare for life.
January 31, 201610 yr Author And you assume he doesn't. College is more than basketball. He is learning to live on his own, manage his time, work on his game, build relationships, and prepare for life. His enjoyment is your reasoning for why he should stay. Read my original post. It was never a reason I mentioned for why he should leave. If this is the best reason one has for him staying, I think my reasons are just as weighty if not more valid. We can agree to disagree. College isn't the only place to learn those things you mentioned. I would argue that he'd be better prepared for the NBA lifestyle by leaving college and training full time, as he would do in an NBA off season. In fact, some of the best and most impactful relationships he could build, like ones with an agent or sponsors, are illegal while he remains at LSU.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.