Kentucky Takes Aim At Growing Coyote Problem

Watusi

[h=2]http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/02/20/kentucky-takes-aim-at-coyote-problem/1934357/

Proposed legislation would make it easier to hunt coyotes, whose population has boomed.[/h]

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Turns out coyotes are a whole lot more wily than in the cartoons. In fact they're overrunning Kentucky, officials say -- turning calves, foals and even small dogs and cats into their prey.

Now, the Kentucky General Assembly is considering a bill that would make it much easier to hunt them -- and so far it appears to have no opposition.

"The coyote problem isn't only in eastern Kentucky, it's statewide," said Rep. Fitz Steele, a Democrat from Hazard, who is sponsoring the bill. "It's in the urban area, it's in downtown Louisville, it's inLexington, it's in far western Kentucky. They've taken over, killing the small game, the rabbits, the pheasants; and they're a major problem."

Kentucky already has relatively lax laws regarding hunting coyotes, which have seen their population boom since migrating across the frozen Mississippi River 35 years ago. Their numbers have grown even though they can be hunted year-round, with no limit on the number a hunter can kill; and bait and electronic calls can be used to draw them close.

But under House Bill 60, which is awaiting a vote in the full House, the stateDepartment of Fish and Wildlife Resources would permit hunting coyotes at night, allowing hunters to use spotlights or even night-vision equipment to make the animals easier to spot because they're increasingly nocturnal. The law would prohibit using lights during deer season, however, because state officials are concerned it could lead to deer poaching.

"We're trying to thin them out," Steele said of coyotes, which he described as "a major problem."

Margaret Brosko, a spokeswoman for Metro Animal Services in Louisville, said her agency gets periodic reports of coyotes in the city's neighborhoods. She said the agency doesn't deal with wildlife, however, and directs people to the state.

Opposition to the measure has been scarce. Even the Humane Society of the United States has decided not to comment, spokeswoman Pam Rogers said.

Mark Marraccini, a spokesman for Fish and Wildlife, said the bill is an opportunity for sportsmen because coyotes are smart, adaptable and difficult to hunt.

While the Warner Bros. cartoon made Wile E. Coyote the butt of many jokes, the name is apt for the cagey creatures, Marraccini said.

"Coyotes are probably one of the toughest critters we have in Kentucky to hunt. They're like a turkey on steroids," said Marraccini, referring to another animal notoriously difficult to hunt. "They're very spooky. ... It's one of the ultimate quarries for our hunters."

Marraccini said the agency has opposed past attempts to allow lights to be used in hunting coyotes but believes the newest bill will allow them to put enough protections into the regulations to assuage concerns.

Thinning the coyote species is a daunting task, experts say.

"It's the most adaptable wildlife species on this continent," said Steven Dobey, wildlife program coordinator with Fish and Wildlife.

That is evidenced by the migration of the species, which once lived primarily in theWestern United States. Until the late 1970s, coyotes weren't even in Kentucky, Dobey said.

But the animal, which is similar to a small wolf, began migrating east in the 1950s and came to Kentucky in the 1970s when the Mississippi River froze, Dobey said.

Now its range extends from Alaska to the East Coast and, while the department has no statewide count, the animal is in all 120 Kentucky counties, Dobey said.

Years ago, coyotes were active in the daytime. But because people have spread throughout the country and taken over their habitats, they are now largely nocturnal. They eat mostly small animals and berries but occasionally will attack larger prey.

Coyotes generally avoid humans, and attacks on people, while not unheard of, are rare.

Dobey said trappers harvest coyote fur for sale in Asian markets, where the pelts are often used for trim on coats. He said a pelt will bring $15 or $20.

While a nuisance to many, Dobey said coyotes can help farmers because they scare away white-tailed deer that eat their crops.

But former state Rep. Royce Adams of Dry Ridge, who sponsored legislation to facilitate hunting coyotes in the past, said the biggest problem with the animals is that they "overeat" an area, killing all the small wildlife, then move on, leaving an area without many animals that were native to it.

"They're a big problem," he said.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can one discern between a dog and a coyote with a thermal scope?

Shouldn't matter if your dogs are not running through someone else's woods. :sssh:

Just busting your chops Doomer. :lol2:

@spindoc

I couldn't tell you how many, but there are hundreds of open acres of pasture, woods and corn or soybean surrounding my farm, and I hear them many nights. When we first moved to our farm, it had been vacant for several years and a group of 7 came up in the yard. I haven't seen one in several years. I have big dogs, and I think that must keep them away. Also, I make sure there is not food for them outside which is a huge problem in residential areas.

I have talked to my neighbors....not one has ever lost a calf to a coyote. My neighbor who has chickens has a Great Pyrenees guarding them and hasn't lost a single chicken.

I do worry about my cat who has outside access, but she seems to be pretty savvy as is the feral barn cat that hangs around.

Saw my first coyote in late 80's in Ontario Canada. The locals told me then, if you see coyote's during the daytime you have a lot of them. I see them regularly.

There's some good calls out there, lights can be bought or barrowed from you local coon hunter, who more than likely already has an amber lense cover for his light.

A lot of the young/dumb coyote's will react to the calls. Some coming full speed at the sound. It actually a cheap hunt compared to the cost of a lot of other stuff.