Podcasts

Bipsic

I have a 30+ minute each way commute. I use Downcast as my App and listen in either 1.25x or 1.5x speed depending on the show. Extremely rare occasion when I listen to terrestrial radio of any sort.

Tony Kornheiser Show (religiously every day)

Never Not Funny with Jimmy Pardo (1x / week free)

This American Life (1x / week)

Freakonomics (1x / week)

The West Wing Weekly (each week an analysis of an episode -- they just started a couple of months ago so easy to catch up)

Serial

Bill Maher HBO show

Meet the Press w/ Chuck Todd & This Week w/ Stephanopolous (mostly for the roundtables)

I download all 3 hours of Dan Patrick, but only pick out regulars I like (Eisen, Reggie Miller, etc.)

I have a 30+ minute each way commute. I use Downcast as my App and listen in either 1.25x or 1.5x speed depending on the show. Extremely rare occasion when I listen to terrestrial radio of any sort.

Tony Kornheiser Show (religiously every day)

La Cheeserie to you, my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting podcast on "More Pefect" regarding the KY vs Batson Supreme Court and the result of the court rulings. Guy says all it did was put perfume on the problem. Interesting examples of reasons giving for attorneys eliminating black jurors.

Describe it. Does he have guests?

No guests. Similar in format to most of his books - lots of stories to support an overall assertion. In the series he attempts to take common beliefs that people widely buy into and contend that they aren't always correct. For instance...

- In one podcast he argues that the first person to break through a barrier is often times not the one that paves the way for the masses to follow.

- In another one he argues that just because we know a path is the best, that in no way means we will follow it - he uses Wilt Chamberlin's free throw woes as the underlying story in this one.

I love Gladwell and can enjoy him for what he is - mainly a great storyteller; however, sometimes I think he draws pretty broad (and maybe even flawed) conclusions without real statistical data.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I met a guy today working on a product for the podcast market.

Interesting idea.

Today you and I cannot search for any podcast that talked about "LeBron James" or "Brexit." He is building a search engine to allow that to happen. As he said the BIG podcasts probably won't be interested initially b/c people are already finding them. Smaller podcasts though will be in order to gain exposure. Cool thing is that when you find the podcast that talked about LBJ you can listen to just that part of the podcast. You don't have to FF through to find it.

Secondly, he told me that podcasts do not have a way to get listener info. He said that they only know how many subscribers there are but not how many listened to it on a particular day or to a particular segment. He's building the analytic tools for that.

Interesting idea. Called Shogooru.com. Not live yet. Could be cool if you're like me and always looking for new podcasts.

I started listening to David Alexrod's Axe Files podcasts. Good guests thus far. Robert Gibbs and Fr Michael Pfleger were both good listens.

@Oldbird put me back onto Revisionist History with Malcolm Gladwell.

Tony Kornheiser Show is now available only on podcast - not on the air any longer in DC.

For those who like to talk about investing Motley Fool's "Motley Fool Money" is good.

Recently started listening to Podcast Ain't Played Nobody. It's Bill Connelly and Steven Godfrey of SB Nation talking college football. Really like it.

Bill is very high on Louisville this season and Steven is not, which had made for a great back and forth whenever they talk about the Cards.