Why Won't Colin Powell Run for President?

Hatz

He's gone so far away from his original positions I would not trust him to be sure enough of himself to keep and hold any position.

He was at best a C student and admittedly only was able to get through because of ROTC. Having said that, he was a good leader while still in uniform, after he became a politician I contend Washington ruined him.

He's gone so far away from his original positions I would not trust him to be sure enough of himself to keep and hold any position.

He was at best a C student and admittedly only was able to get through because of ROTC. Having said that, he was a good leader while still in uniform, after he became a politician I contend Washington ruined him.

And wasn't he one of Bush's "advisors" citing the existence of WMDs in Sadam Hussein's Iraq? And I would guess he did not want his life picked apart and dissected during a presidential run.

I think Colin Powell would make for a very compelling candidate.

I think somebody has some bad secret on him, because in his heart he knows he can do it and his sense of duty and honor would ensure he would be a level-headed, contemplative Commander-in-Chief.

Kind of the reverse of my Tim McCarver theory. The only reason the dolt kept such a high-profile job as long as he did was because he has naked pictures of all the TV execs and MLB owners.

Powell's time has come and gone. Read recently that Bill Clinton feared a possible Powell candidacy in '96. Powell's WMD speech to U.N. effectively derailed his career. As mcpapa pointed out, Powell too advanced in years (turns 80 in '17) to mount a serious bid.

And wasn't he one of Bush's "advisors" citing the existence of WMDs in Sadam Hussein's Iraq? And I would guess he did not want his life picked apart and dissected during a presidential run.

I believe that is correct, however that is another discussion thread altogether...

Who would want to go throught that process of having your life picked apart anyway ? No wonder we have difficulty finding decent people to be in these positions

Who would want to go throught that process of having your life picked apart anyway ? No wonder we have difficulty finding decent people to be in these positions

It sucks. I was president of our local union from 2012-2015. I backed out of the 2015 elections at the very last minute because I was tired of having my life picked apart and I was tired of being questioned about every single thing I said or did. I cannot imagine what it is like at a national level.

FWIW, There is no doubt in my mind that I would have won had I chose to run. I'm not being cocky or arrogant when I say that either. I upset a lot of people by not running but I am enjoying my stress free and responsibility free life. My wife is enjoying it also as she works at the same place as I do. I didn't want it to seem like I dropped out because I wasn't going to win. Winning or losing wasn't the issue. Stress free life was.