Several Kentucky county clerks defy same-sex marriage ruling.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Government employees are expected to uphold the law, including military following the appointed Commander-in-Chief regardless of their political view.

If the clerks do not like the ruling and do their jobs then they should resign.

Does this apply to Jack Conway and his refusal to appeal the decision that threw out KY's marriage law?

You are a terrible mind reader. You asked me a question. I answered it the best I could. You ridicule me for my answer. Good thing I know Jesus. And you expect me to answer all your questions but you are ashamed to answer mine. I should have stopped with this way earlier. Nothing good is coming out of this except arguments.

The more I thought about your response the more it ticked me off. I'm not ashamed, my being a Christian has nothing to do with my responses. I am in fact a Christian. I also believe that it is not my place to judge others and try to impose my personal beliefs on them. Gay marriage does not affect my standing as a Christian or my place in this world. I'm not going to judge them as wrong or right. I do feel as though these clerks are in the wrong however. The way I look at it is this: I am able to worship as a Christian in my own way because I live in America. Without the protection afforded me by the Constitution and other laws and enforced by the government then I would not have that ability. Since it is the government that allows and enforces that right I feel compelled to obey those laws and give those that want to worship differently or not at all the freedom to do so without judgment. With that being the case I feel as though these clerks, who are agents of that government, are in the wrong and should be fired or resign. It is not their place, it is not your place, it is not my place to judge the couples that are applying for these licenses (whether gay or straight). If we want the freedom to worship as we see fit we have to be tolerant enough to allow others to do so even if their beliefs are in direct conflict with our own. Gay marriage may not jibe with Christian values but it has no effect on Christians ability to worship as they see fit. A courthouse is not a place of worship.

The more I thought about your response the more it ticked me off. I'm not ashamed, my being a Christian has nothing to do with my responses. I am in fact a Christian. I also believe that it is not my place to judge others and try to impose my personal beliefs on them. Gay marriage does not affect my standing as a Christian or my place in this world. I'm not going to judge them as wrong or right. I do feel as though these clerks are in the wrong however. The way I look at it is this: I am able to worship as a Christian in my own way because I live in America. Without the protection afforded me by the Constitution and other laws and enforced by the government then I would not have that ability. Since it is the government that allows and enforces that right I feel compelled to obey those laws and give those that want to worship differently or not at all the freedom to do so without judgment. With that being the case I feel as though these clerks, who are agents of that government, are in the wrong and should be fired or resign. It is not their place, it is not your place, it is not my place to judge the couples that are applying for these licenses (whether gay or straight). If we want the freedom to worship as we see fit we have to be tolerant enough to allow others to do so even if their beliefs are in direct conflict with our own. Gay marriage may not jibe with Christian values but it has no effect on Christians ability to worship as they see fit. A courthouse is not a place of worship.

Mic drop....

Joe, if you disagree with someone's lifestyle or sexual preference you are not judging them. Having convictions isn't judging, I don't hate people because they are gay but I'm not going to say I think it's okay. I base this on my belief and my understanding. I also don't believe is living with someone prior to marriage but I have several friends and realitives have done just that. They are still my friends and I love them but I can't tell them I think it's the right thing to do.

I guess I'm tired of people saying that someone is judging them when they stand up for what they believe.

Regarding the bolded...

1) Aren't you judging the clerks when you say you feel they "are in the wrong?"

2) Aren't you also imposing your personal beliefs on others when you say that gays should be permitted to marry, since not everyone shares that belief?

My contention is this: I don't believe it is judging another person when I say something they're doing is wrong or immoral, so long as I don't have an attitude of superiority toward them (I'm better than you because I don't do that). I readily & shamefully admit that I sometimes fail at this, but it doesn't make my contention any less true.

And as I've said elsewhere on here, any time you or I support some law or decision, we are imposing our personal beliefs on those who do not support the same law or decision.

Regarding the bolded...

1) Aren't you judging the clerks when you say you feel they "are in the wrong?"

2) Aren't you also imposing your personal beliefs on others when you say that gays should be permitted to marry, since not everyone shares that belief?

My contention is this: I don't believe it is judging another person when I say something they're doing is wrong or immoral, so long as I don't have an attitude of superiority toward them (I'm better than you because I don't do that). I readily & shamefully admit that I sometimes fail at this, but it doesn't make my contention any less true.

And as I've said elsewhere on here, any time you or I support some law or decision, we are imposing our personal beliefs on those who do not support the same law or decision.

Supporting or not supporting a law is one thing. If they don't like the law let them do whatever they can do to get it changed--legally. Let them get out and protest it, I'd fully support their right to do that. Deciding to disregard the law because of your belief when you have the power to withhold from others the benefits of that law IS imposing your beliefs on them. Denying them what they are entitled to because of your religion is displaying an attitude of superiority. They're telling people that their desire to marry a person of the same sex is wrong and that the clerk's belief is more important.

I'm not judging them by saying that they are in the wrong. They took an oath that they are to uphold if they want to continue to do the job that they were elected to do. If a person is legally entitled to a marriage license they should provide it period. Their personal faith should not be imposed on the people that have a different view. The courthouse is not a house of worship.

If they want to protest do it on their own time, not on the taxpayers time. Fulfill the requirements of the job or quit.

Do you think MLK was wrong to use his faith in his civil rights efforts?

Was Martin Luther King Jr. an agent of the government elected to his position? No. If these clerks want to organize protest marches I'm all for their right to do that. These are elected officials deciding what part of their job responsibilities that they will fulfill based on their own beliefs. Not in the same universe of the same thing.

Was Martin Luther King Jr. an agent of the government elected to his position? No. If these clerks want to organize protest marches I'm all for their right to do that. These are elected officials deciding what part of their job responsibilities that they will fulfill based on their own beliefs. Not in the same universe of the same thing.

Fair point.

Was President Lincoln wrong to use the Bible in his efforts to abolish slavery?