Several Kentucky county clerks defy same-sex marriage ruling.

What should be done? I think every allowance should be made for those who feel they cannot, in good conscience issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple. Maybe enable someone else at the courthouse to issue it if they can find a person who is willing. Do this for a couple of years until they can move these people into a different job, rather than just fire them. They were good enough for the job last week. They don't deserve to be fired. After the two years is up, if a Christian doesn't feel they can discharge the duties of that office, then don't apply for it.

Refusing to perform your job responsibilities doesn't warrant firing? In what world?

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm not a committed Christian because I think they should do their job? Good to know.

EDIT I read what you said again. You did quote me. See my answer below.

Refusing to perform your job responsibilities doesn't warrant firing? In what world?

In a world that makes such a radical change as we saw occur last week. A little generosity by the party that is requiring the radical change would be merciful. That's not a bad thing. I didn't say that they should delay implementing the change in the law but that they should find a way to work with those who had the rug pulled out from under them. Provide them with a different job. That seems reasonable.

Edited by oldgrappler
I was in error

In a world that makes such a radical change as we saw occur last week. A little generosity by the party that is requiring the radical change would be merciful. That's not a bad thing. I didn't say that they should delay implementing the change in the law but that they should find a way to work with those who had the rug pulled out from under them. Provide them with a different job. That seems reasonable.

While I hear what you are saying, these folks are elected officials. Nothing about their job description changed. Just a moral compass dilemma. The onus is on them to step away or use up PTO until they can clear their head. As a supervisor, I am not seeing how reasonable accommodation has to be considered.

I should clarify from earlier. If there are legit legal questions to be answered, that is one thing. To balk for personal or spiritual reasons is insubordination.

So I'm not a committed Christian because I think they should do their job? Good to know.

I don't see how what I said relates to your opinion that the county clerks who refuse to issue a marriage license to same-sex couples should be fired.

My point is that one's faith should effect every area of life, including what one does in the work place, hence some of those clerks do not feel they can issue a marriage license to same-sex couples.

You are entitled to your opinion that they should be fired. Whether you are a committed Christian or not wasn't in the purview of my statement. I suppose if you want to look at what I said, that a committed Christian's worldview will influence the way they conduct themselves at work, and then evaluate whether you do that, you will have your answer, at least based on that limited scope of behavior. But then I won't be judging you, you will be judging yourself since I have no idea who you are or how you live.

While I hear what you are saying, these folks are elected officials. Nothing about their job description changed. Just a moral compass dilemma. The onus is on them to step away or use up PTO until they can clear their head. As a supervisor, I am not seeing how reasonable accommodation has to be considered.

I should clarify from earlier. If there are legit legal questions to be answered, that is one thing. To balk for personal or spiritual reasons is insubordination.

PTO is a reasonable approach as well. I have also heard of employers trying to find employees another job within the company. Would that not also be a reasonable thing to do? That would be a win-win.

When I worked in the oil field, an employee was given a new position and within that position some of what he was asked to do he considered to be dishonest. I don't remember exactly what it was about but he was dealing with the public and he felt that he was misrepresenting reality in some of what the company wanted him to say regarding leasing new property. He was a Jehovah's Witness. The company moved him to another position where he didn't deal with the public.

I am sure that in the end, if the clerks continue to refuse to issue the licenses they will be fired for the reasons you state. I cannot disagree that that is just. I would like to see a more generous solution. But if it comes to that, the clerks should accept the consequences of their decision and walk away being satisfied that they remained true to their convictions.

PTO is a reasonable approach as well. I have also heard of employers trying to find employees another job within the company. Would that not also be a reasonable thing to do? That would be a win-win.

In a normal field, maybe. But again, they are elected. They can't just be reassigned to a different department. This is the equivalent of an upper-level management position within a government organization. If your local State Senator is not fulfilling his or her duties, he or she isn't reassigned to work on the lawn at the State Capitol and move in Joe Smith from accounting to fill the void.

The Whitley County Clerk says that she cannot issue the licenses because her office does not have the proper forms, and they do not plan on getting the forms. I guess that's one way of getting around it, at least temporarily.

The Whitley County Clerk says that she cannot issue the licenses because her office does not have the proper forms, and they do not plan on getting the forms. I guess that's one way of getting around it, at least temporarily.

Marriage license forms? Serious question that I brought up earlier, do you now have to indicate homo or heterosexual? Not sure why you would.

Marriage license forms? Serious question that I brought up earlier, do you now have to indicate homo or heterosexual? Not sure why you would.

I kind of just skimmed through the story, but thought she said something about a different form that was required, but again, that could just be her way of trying to get around issuing same sex marriage licenses as I'm not sure there is such a form required.

I looked to see if the story was on the Corbin News Journal website, but didn't see it available there. I'm pretty sure they had the story and not the Corbin Times Tribune.

You would for statistical purposes. The same reason race is listed and all the birth history and logistics.