Buddy Biggs to Mason County

Sounds as if Pig Williams will be playing at Bethal-Tate in Ohio next season. Mason County won't release him to play in Kentucky. All speculation but that what I keep hearing. :idunno:

So they kick him off the team and then won't let him play in Ky. What a thing to do.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds as if Pig Williams will be playing at Bethal-Tate in Ohio next season. Mason County won't release him to play in Kentucky. All speculation but that what I keep hearing. :idunno:

If it is legal move, can they really keep him from playing in Ky ? Everyone seems to have a problem with Coach Biggs discipline, but if these kids can't play in some what of a structured system, will they ever survive in the real world..

Yes

Someone is going to have to explain this to me. If Mason County won't "release" him? So if the Williams family ups and moves to McCracken County tomorrow, you're saying he wouldn't get to play basketball unless mason County "releases" him? Releases him from what? Sorry I don't see that anywhere in the transfer rules and I have no idea what this means.

Someone is going to have to explain this to me. If Mason County won't "release" him? So if the Williams family ups and moves to McCracken County tomorrow, you're saying he wouldn't get to play basketball unless mason County "releases" him? Releases him from what? Sorry I don't see that anywhere in the transfer rules and I have no idea what this means.

I dont know if this helps but this was in another thread:

In the case of a transfer, permanent change of residency or guardianship is one piece, the gaining school has little say, the school being transferred out of does and typically a written letter from that school's AD goes with the review by KHSAA.

Do not look for any changes at this time, not saying it couldn't, but highly doubtful

So apparently the school that is losing a player due to transfer does have a say reguardless of address change. :idunno:

I dont know if this helps but this was in another thread:

So apparently the school that is losing a player due to transfer does have a say reguardless of address change. :idunno:

The box you have quoted from Birdbrain...I can't find that language anywhere in bylaw 6 or the case law examples, so I don't know in what context it is referring to.

The only relative language I found was in section 4) b) which essentially states any school can file a written objection to a transfer if they have info regarding the case, which would trigger and investigation (supposedly).

Unless I'm just not seeing it I just don't know what you or Birdbrain are referring to.

The box you have quoted from Birdbrain...I can't find that language anywhere in bylaw 6 or the case law examples, so I don't know in what context it is referring to.

The only relative language I found was in section 4) b) which essentially states any school can file a written objection to a transfer if they have info regarding the case, which would trigger and investigation (supposedly).

Unless I'm just not seeing it I just don't know what you or Birdbrain are referring to.

Correct. The "practice" has been to contact the losing school to essentially "justify" the transfer. The transfer, if questioned, can trigger an investigation into the motivation of the request. That's not to say that the losing school can stop a transfer, but their comments, if applicable, can be factored into the eligibility decision.

I believe the intent is to deter unjustified transfers. You will not find this in the by-laws per se, other than what you have found in Section 4. Believe me, the losing school comments carry some weight.

Correct. The "practice" has been to contact the losing school to essentially "justify" the transfer. The transfer, if questioned, can trigger an investigation into the motivation of the request. That's not to say that the losing school can stop a transfer, but their comments, if applicable, can be factored into the eligibility decision.

I believe the intent is to deter unjustified transfers. You will not find this in the by-laws per se, other than what you have found in Section 4. Believe me, the losing school comments carry some weight.

Oh, I don't doubt that. But the term "released" was being bantered about like a college kid on scholarship or something, inferring that the losing school could actually stop the process if the wanted to by simply not signing some sort of paperwork releasing him from their enrollment. I have no clue where that sort of thing came from...maybe it's someone misinterpretation of the rules.

If the school the kid is leaving contest his leaving they can essentially keep the kid from playing nearly indefinitely. The process is very slow anyway and any contention and/or appeals drags out the ruling to or past tournament time. End of Season!

After reading the past page of comments about a kid wanting to transfer somewhere else and the school in which he is leaving wants to contest the transfer even if it is a legitimate change of residence, then my advice to this kid and his parents is to file a lawsuit against the KHSAA and the school protesting the transfer and I bet it would get resolved very quickly.

If the school the kid is leaving contest his leaving they can essentially keep the kid from playing nearly indefinitely. The process is very slow anyway and any contention and/or appeals drags out the ruling to or past tournament time. End of Season!

Contest it in what way? If mom and dad pick up stakes and move 100 miles down the road, even if the school/coach is ticked I don't see much they can say/do about it. Kid shows up at the school down the road and it's "questionable" as to whether it was a legit transfer, family still seems to reside in same residence, etc...I can see a school questioning that and possibly sending something to the KHSAA. But I would THINK that what ever paperwork a losing school might send to dispute a transfer, that in and of itself would be looked into to see if it's just "sour grapes" or there is actually an issue. And if it's just sour grapes the losing school ought to be held accountable for that as well.

And, to be honest...how often does this happen? Even when the losing school might have some legit complaints/info?

Contest it in what way? If mom and dad pick up stakes and move 100 miles down the road, even if the school/coach is ticked I don't see much they can say/do about it. Kid shows up at the school down the road and it's "questionable" as to whether it was a legit transfer, family still seems to reside in same residence, etc...I can see a school questioning that and possibly sending something to the KHSAA. But I would THINK that what ever paperwork a losing school might send to dispute a transfer, that in and of itself would be looked into to see if it's just "sour grapes" or there is actually an issue. And if it's just sour grapes the losing school ought to be held accountable for that as well.

And, to be honest...how often does this happen? Even when the losing school might have some legit complaints/info?

I'm on the same page as you.....

Oh, I don't doubt that. But the term "released" was being bantered about like a college kid on scholarship or something, inferring that the losing school could actually stop the process if the wanted to by simply not signing some sort of paperwork releasing him from their enrollment. I have no clue where that sort of thing came from...maybe it's someone misinterpretation of the rules.

Essentially true. It's not the signing of paperwork, it's the message that is delivered in the letter and yes, the losing school can pretty much indefinitely stop the process. You have little to no control as a player / parent and are at the mercy of the school you are leaving.

As for filing a lawsuit…what is the basis ? It's eligibility based and the bylaws, while they are very specific for some transfer issues, have lots of loopholes for other issues. I believe there are limited legal options. You can appeal the decision by KHSAA, but I can tell you that typically does little to move the process forward.

Legitimate moves are pretty straightforward and get little to no attention typically by the losing school or KHSAA. Keep you primary residence and rent an apartment…probably not going to go over very well.

Legitimate moves are pretty straightforward and get little to no attention typically by the losing school or KHSAA. Keep you primary residence and rent an apartment…probably not going to go over very well.

Now who would think of an idea like that? Owning two residences for me is ridiculous, but to own one and rent (and live) in another means your spending a lot of money.