Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Can Cheerleaders Cheer During A Free Throw?

Featured Replies

I was doing a google search on it and other state's regulations came up saying that cheerleaders are NOT allowed to cheer during free throws. But I could not find anything on KHSAA. So KHSAA could have a ruling on it but I just do not know where to look.

 

(Georgia, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri,...)

  • Replies 35
  • Views 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was doing a google search on it and other state's regulations came up saying that cheerleaders are NOT allowed to cheer during free throws. But I could not find anything on KHSAA. So KHSAA could have a ruling on it but I just do not know where to look.

 

(Georgia, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri,...)

 

I have come to the conclusion that this country attempts to regulate way to much stuff. Why would anyone ever come up with a rule to stop people from cheering during a ballgame. These people that sit in corporate offices and try to come up with rules and regulations have forgot what life is all about! Life is about dealing with adversity and learning how to adjust on the fly! UGH!

 

Evidently there is a rule in Volleyball - this happened a few years ago.

Not saying I'm for it or against it, but there is difference that I see between the cheerleaders and the fans, when it comes to cheering at free throws. And that's the fact that the cheerleaders are given unparalleled access to the baseline area around the basket. Yes, I've seen officials clear them out from the area immediately behind the lane when they're getting ready for free throws, but still, they have the opportunity to be a whole heck of a lot closer to the players/shooter than anybody else sitting in the stands. Just food for thought.

Cheerleaders can do whatever they want -- the only ones that pay any attention are the parents . Quite frankly I wish they would just skip the athletic contest and just attend camp and cheer competitions .

They cheered during free throws when I was in high school, so I don't see changing anything. Of course, this was before the 3-Point line existed and gas was less than a dollar.

High school students and cheerleaders should be the only ones allowed to cheer during free throws! I've seen some adults do it and just shook my head.

Not saying I'm for it or against it, but there is difference that I see between the cheerleaders and the fans, when it comes to cheering at free throws. And that's the fact that the cheerleaders are given unparalleled access to the baseline area around the basket. Yes, I've seen officials clear them out from the area immediately behind the lane when they're getting ready for free throws, but still, they have the opportunity to be a whole heck of a lot closer to the players/shooter than anybody else sitting in the stands. Just food for thought.

 

At most of the new gyms this is true but there are many, many gyms that have seating on the ends. And there is no clearing out for them either.

  • Author
Not saying I'm for it or against it, but there is difference that I see between the cheerleaders and the fans, when it comes to cheering at free throws. And that's the fact that the cheerleaders are given unparalleled access to the baseline area around the basket. Yes, I've seen officials clear them out from the area immediately behind the lane when they're getting ready for free throws, but still, they have the opportunity to be a whole heck of a lot closer to the players/shooter than anybody else sitting in the stands. Just food for thought.

 

The bolded is in the rulebook.

The bolded is in the rulebook.

 

Ahhh, if only people actually read the rulebook.

They can cheer during FTs.

 

Only rule in basketball about noise regards artificial noisemakers.

 

Who is in charge of enforcing this rule? I recently had to alert the A.D. to this rule and have him remove the giant megaphone from the front row of the student section that was being used to harass players while shooting foul shots. There was no way the refs didn't see and hear this and yet they did nothing about it. It's my understanding that only cheerleaders can use megaphones

  • Author
Who is in charge of enforcing this rule? I recently had to alert the A.D. to this rule and have him remove the giant megaphone from the front row of the student section that was being used to harass players while shooting foul shots. There was no way the refs didn't see and hear this and yet they did nothing about it. It's my understanding that only cheerleaders can use megaphones

 

"Megaphones are allowed to be used by cheerleaders as long

as they are used in the traditional sense. Megaphones are not

to be used to bang against the fl oor or wall to incite crowds

or intimidate players. Megaphones may not be used by fans as

noisemakers." From Page 11 of below.

 

http://khsaa.org/handbook/competitionrules/bkcompetitionrules.pdf

Cheerleaders can do whatever they want -- the only ones that pay any attention are the parents . Quite frankly I wish they would just skip the athletic contest and just attend camp and cheer competitions .

 

This is the stupidest comment I think I've ever read...

Cant be in view of the lane during free throw attempts.

Cheerleaders are allowed to cheer throughout the entirety of the game whether it be on foul shots for their team or their opposing team. They however are not allowed to put up any stunts while a shot is going on for safety reasons. They are not allowed to block the lane during the game. They are only allowed on the court during pregame announcements and full-time outs. For 30 sec timeouts they have to stay on the sidelines. There are not many restrictions when it comes to basketball for cheerleading. Most of the restrictions are in terms of stunting because the basketball court is not and approved surface for certain stunts.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.