Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Can Cheerleaders Cheer During A Free Throw?

Featured Replies

Who is in charge of enforcing this rule? I recently had to alert the A.D. to this rule and have him remove the giant megaphone from the front row of the student section that was being used to harass players while shooting foul shots. There was no way the refs didn't see and hear this and yet they did nothing about it. It's my understanding that only cheerleaders can use megaphones

 

I do not believe this qualifies as "artificial noise maker", although I'm not surprised the AD removed it....path of least resistance.

 

The responsibility for the crowd behavior / compliance rests solely with Game Management....officials have enough to deal with.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not believe this qualifies as "artificial noise maker", although I'm not surprised the AD removed it....path of least resistance.

 

The responsibility for the crowd behavior / compliance rests solely with Game Management....officials have enough to deal with.

 

KHSAA by laws specifically state that fans cannot use megaphones. I agree that the refs have enough to deal with, but when it is right in their faces and the game manager does not handle it I would have thought the refs would.

This is the stupidest comment I think I've ever read...

 

Daddy that might be stupid to you but I've spent decades around a group that all too often doesn't give two hoots in hades about the outcome of the game they are supposedly cheering about . As an athlete who competed that offends me . I've heard it numerous times just for a laugh to ask a cheer leader " who won " after an event -- too often the answer is a shrug followed by " i don't know " . So you can attempt to insult me all you want , I don't care .

 

This is the stupidest comment I think I've ever read...

 

I agree.

And that's saying a lot given some of the threads on here.

KHSAA by laws specifically state that fans cannot use megaphones. I agree that the refs have enough to deal with, but when it is right in their faces and the game manager does not handle it I would have thought the refs would.

 

....and here's the discepancy. As with many of the by-laws, it is not clear. It does not forbid the use of a megaphone, it says that they cannot be used as "noisemakers". The interpretation of this is often left to local site management. A megaphone, when used for projecting a voice, does not fall under the "artificial noise" by law...the by-law is intentionally vague and has been argued that if used for it's intended purpose, it is not, by definition, artificial.

 

If game management does not address an issue and an official does not request game management to address an issue, in no way should an official address fan behavior....notify game management and move on. If an an official wants a fan removed, they can suspend play up to the point of forfeiter until fan is removed.

 

3) Megaphones are allowed to be used by cheerleaders as long

as they are used in the traditional sense. Megaphones are not

to be used to bang against the fl oor or wall to incite crowds

or intimidate players. Megaphones may not be used by fans as

noisemakers.

High school students and cheerleaders should be the only ones allowed to cheer during free throws! I've seen some adults do it and just shook my head.

 

That wasn't "cheering" that you were hearing...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.